cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Lite" 5th wheels

salem
Explorer
Explorer
I seem to be seeing a lot of 5th wheels that are designated as "LITE." What exactly is the difference? Any reason to avoid the so called Lite trailers? The guy next to us has a Rockwood Lite 5th wheel that is 5 feet longer than mine but is about the same weight. I was just curious.
21 REPLIES 21

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Truck manufacturers have all increased their towing capacity on half ton series trucks like the Ford F150 so as a marketing strategy the RV industry is doing their part to couple buyers with this increase. Grand Design Reflection is a good example of "half ton towable" offering. I own a Reflection 27 RL which is marketed as one of these units and I tow it with a 2500 Ram Cummins. I cannot imagine towing it with an F150. There are significantly more folks out there with half ton trucks than there are those with heavier F250 or 2500 series. The RV industry is just trying to get into this market. Yes a half ton will tow some of these trailers but for the long haul or going to the mountains you better have more truck in my opinion. I met a guy in Colorado last year towing the exact trailer as mine and he said he screamed the engine to get over some steep grades with an overall MPG of 8.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
We have a lite model.

Just about everything folks have said is correct about some units. Not necessarily our experience, but I'm sure their comments apply to some models, and buyer should study before purchase.

Pretty much all lite or HT models are going to simply be smaller. Probably shorter, as in 12.5' tall or less, and not as wide, as in 96" wide versus the 102" wide of many full size.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
2112 wrote:
I haven't had any issues with my 2013 KZ Durango 1500. KZ uses the same interior components as their larger units. My model 2857 was replaced with the D277RL a few years ago. Same floor plan.

I agree with the smaller tanks and no generator prep comments, but we get by. If they skimped on anything else it would be roof and wall insulation.

Hey! Another 277 owner! :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't had any issues with my 2013 KZ Durango 1500. KZ uses the same interior components as their larger units. My model 2857 was replaced with the D277RL a few years ago. Same floor plan.

I agree with the smaller tanks and no generator prep comments, but we get by. If they skimped on anything else it would be roof and wall insulation.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Of course, if you had a couple hundred grand to burn, I'm sure someone would build you one from carbon fiber, kevlar, aluminum and titanium. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Skimpy Materials".
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
You can have a well built lite 5er if that were the MFG's intentions. My previous 2013 Northwood Fox Mountain was a 1/2 ton type 5th wheel @1385 dry pin and 7200 lbs or so dry. Being only 27'10 long it would be easily towable by Fords new F150's that have close to 1900+ lbs of CCC.
Had it for 6 years and except for a couple very minor issues it was trouble free.
Most people are weekend warrior types anyway so a lite 5er doesn't need to stand up to the rigors of a full timer or an RV'er that hits the road for 6 months out of the year.

The same issue that lite 5ers have can also be had on non lite 5ers.
With that being said you can't lump all lite 5ers ito the same group. Some MFG's do a better job of construction that others.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TXiceman wrote:
LITE generally means CHEAP and lower quality on construction.

Ken

YUP!

Fine for the weekend warrior but put some miles on them and look out!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
No problems at all with '16 Cougar X-lite 25RKS that we bought 2 years ago, barely used by the previous owner.

I wanted a short unit, but almost every non-lite 5th wheel was longer. Our truck/5th length is 41' total. ๐Ÿ™‚

Maybe a compromise in quality for better maneuverability since we rarely stay in one place more that a couple nights. Also we tend to be gentle with RVs and stay on top of any maintenance.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
LITE generally means CHEAP and lower quality on construction.

Ken

+1
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the comments. I've talked to two different people here today who have Lite 5th wheels. One a Rockwood and one an Open Range. Both said they were very happy so far. I guess it's like one poster said, "It's the luck of the drawer."

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
I think that term is mainly a selling gimmick. There is no standard as to what it really means. But if a trailer is truly "lite" I would wonder what is being left out.

Or what and how it's being held together.

Cheers!

Mike
Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I think that term is mainly a selling gimmick. There is no standard as to what it really means. But if a trailer is truly "lite" I would wonder what is being left out.
Jayco-noslide

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
All in all it is just a "marketing" scheme...

I have a "Ultra Light" Travel Trailer that I have over 40000 miles on in 7 years and close to 600 nights of use in also...

After the 1st fix of the shower p-trap not being connected correctly from factory

I have never had any issues at all
No cabinets loose ever
No feet through the floor
No issues at all

The only thing I do is keep it clean, Keep up with the maintenance on the roof seals seems etc and repack the wheel bearings yearly

I have seen on these forums over the years people paying 60 - 100g for thier so called top of the line rigs and have many many many costly issues with them.

Honestly its just the luck of the draw you either get a good one, an ok one, or a bad one...all depends on the technicians building the rigs mood that day...
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K