cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

reliable components

richard_123
Explorer
Explorer
wife and I are looking at being full-timers and we could use help in determining what components have given you long term full-timers least amount of problems and best service. Using your least we will make an effort to obtain a RV that has those items. Hopefully this will reduce having to buy several times and can get it pretty close to right the first time. Some questions are which companies provides the most reliable leveling jacks, slide out mechanisms, roof hvac, chassis, electrical systems, appliances, heated floors or ducted heat, refrigerator, slide windows or push-out windows. rubber roof or fiberglass, generator, etc. We are not be in a position to buy a new top quality fifth wheel but will look at a used one. Thanks for your help. Don't want to get caught up in the glitter and not have quality.
7 REPLIES 7

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
We've had good luck with Atwood appliances, rack-and-pinion slides, spring suspension and rubber roofs but roof coating is a good thing after about 8 years and some sort of upgraded equalizer has made an improvement to the springs. Even our first three lower level RVs had Atwood but the frames were under engineered and the flexing caused problems with the rest of the RV staying together. Used can be a VERY good thing cuz you have a better chance of finding a stacked boxed frame and the other bugs are worked out. Sunnybrook has a boxed frame and I think Carriage, Arctic Fox, Nuwa and a few others. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
My 07' CC Daydreamer on it's own has held up extremely well but the clear coat failed which Cedar Creek refinished my fiver on their dime and as a precaution I re-coated my rubber roof last summer as the Florida sun is hard on rubber roofs but I've had to replace both ac units, the water heater, one fantastic fan and the P.O.S drainmaster electric dump valves (NEVER own these) so as we follow sunshine and we use the ac and the vent often these items are acceptable Losses to me since we full-time and live in our rig 24/7! I think by having a more up-scale fiver built by a company the puts customer care as a priority is a good way to hedge your bets on the future of your investment. As for me I'd never buy anything but a Cedar Creek, there just that good!

Happy St. Patricks Day!!!

Mora na maidine dhuit.
Top of the morning to you.
More-uh nah mod-gin-uh g-wit.

Agus cuid eile an lae dhuit fein.
And the rest of the day to yourself.
Ah-gus quid ella on law g-wit feign
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

kregli
Explorer
Explorer
Can't be sure what will work, but I suspect my experience is pretty typical...

About 18 months ago I bought a (new) Forest River Silverback. It is in the lightweight, but fairly upscale category. I like the floor plan and it mostly works well. I expected to fix a few things the first year. The heavy slide (kitchen, TV) had problems - mechanism OK, but brackets holding slide wall to slide mechanism weren't strong enough. Re-enforced that and it's stable. Landing gear failed - replaced 4K lb with 6K lb rated and they now seem stable.

In short, the places where a manufacturer can save money and weight will be the likely failure points. While the original components will work; drive the FW over rough roads for a while and things will fail. The best you can do is compare the specs on the big components and see how close to the margins they are.
Keith
2015 Grand Design Momentum 388m
2015 Silverado 3500HD DRW

Bandaid
Explorer
Explorer
As some have already stated, most manufacturers buy from the same suppliers. Custom built, stand alone companies, in my opinion may have better built frames, which like a house foundation, is the basis upon which sits your house. There are very few trailers made with a "boxed", or square tube frame, but these are a better choice than the standard I beam. It is also my opinion, in an effort of manufacturers to improve towing mileage, frames have been lightened, or spec'd to minimum requirements.
Do make sure you get a trailer that has very good insulation and double pane windows. Our previous unit did not have good insulation, or the windows, and we were cold when the temperature got down around the freezing mark. We'd go through a 30 lb. bottle of propane in a day and a half trying to stay comfortable!
Our present unit, a 2014 Open Range, with the dual pane windows, heat pump AC, and fireplace is very stingy on propane. We have been away from home since mid January and have not used 40 lbs. of propane yet! This is by far the best insulated trailer we have owned. Not sure I would full time in it though considering what I said in the first paragraph.

Good luck,
Bandaid

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Basically a 5th wheel is like a house on wheels. The same items reliable in your house will be reliable in your 5th Wheel. Majority of RV'ers, if buying new, will have 5-10 years of relatively trouble free travel as long as preventative maintenance is performed. After 5 years you'll have small things go wrong...plumbing leaks, microwave oven failure, electrical issues, trim issues...etc. After 10 years then the big stuff begins to happen; roof leaks, refrigerator or air conditioner fail, paint/graphics problems as well as suspension and brake issues.

In the mean time you've had 10 years of fun travelling around the country seeing the sights. It's well worth every penny...

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Some questions are which companies provides the most reliable leveling jacks, slide out mechanisms, roof hvac, chassis, electrical systems, appliances, heated floors or ducted heat, refrigerator, slide windows or push-out windows. rubber roof or fiberglass, generator, etc.

Another which is best type question generally gets you a my brand is best type answers. Especially which is the most reliable component brands.

Just pick the floor plan you like in the brand that you like in the price range you can afford....there is no best or most reliable components as you asked.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
That will be a hard list to come up with. Many FW manufacturers use the same suppliers for most of their components.

My best advise to anyone going full time is to locate a gently used FW that they really like. Talk to the previous owner and see what he had fixed/corrected the first year or two. Then take your time and inspect everything on the unit before you actually purchase it.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!