cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

removal of tv

plock40
Explorer
Explorer
hi everyone, my question is about the removal of the tv in our 2005 cardinal fiver from forest river, we did not see where they secured the tv to its cubby hole in the living room, and are there ceiling joists in the roof? we want to add solar to the roof. any help would make the wife happy and keep me out of trouble
3500 Ram 4x4 Dually Crew Cab Longbed
990 Artic Fox Camper
2005 Cardinal 5th Wheel
20 REPLIES 20

dfb
Explorer
Explorer
L brackets screwed into tv and cabinet shelf

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
AH HA! Got the heavy artillary out did you. Nothing likes to be hit or cut.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
I hav a 40 inch Toshiba flat screen TV that is mounted to a bracket that is secured to the wall. This bracket allows the TV to be pulled out and the TV can actually can be swiveled for access to the rear for plugging in HDMI cables for DVD players etc.
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

plock40
Explorer
Explorer
thank you all for your tips, a saw sall and elbo grease did the job, now to mount the flat screen. thanks again.
3500 Ram 4x4 Dually Crew Cab Longbed
990 Artic Fox Camper
2005 Cardinal 5th Wheel

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have a Cardinal but I do have a similar vintage trailer & monster heavy tube type TV that the DW won't let me trash.

Mine has a retaining decorative strip across the front at the base. Remove that & the TV needs to slide forward because it is held down in the back by a slot that the base fits into. The hole in the cabinetry is a tight fit too. First time I took mine out there was much wiggling & cursing to get it out.

Builders don't think very much about the day something will need to be replaced. All they care about is that they won't have to deal with it.

Good luck with it. The TV should have gone in after the cabinetry was built but you never know, they might have built the cabinetry around the TV.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Memphisdoug wrote:
How does everyone hold their new flat screen tv's in place in the cubby hole vacated by the tube tv. Do you have to pay attention to get a flat screen with a decent base on it to screw down or are there better ideas?

We mounted a swing arm and bungy cord it in place while traveling. Around 20k miles with no issues.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
I just unhook both of our TV's and the 40" sets on the floor beside the couch with a blanket tossed over it and a kitchen chair slid next to it for support. The 32" in the bedroom gets put in the closet with duffel bags stacked around it.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Memphisdoug wrote:
How does everyone hold their new flat screen tv's in place in the cubby hole vacated by the tube tv. Do you have to pay attention to get a flat screen with a decent base on it to screw down or are there better ideas?

I bought a Mor/ryde #TV1003H mount from Amazon and mounted our 32" Vizio in the cabinet that the old TV was in. It fits well and is secure.

Hvyhauler
Explorer
Explorer
Lon-Str wrote:
Hvyhauler wrote:
The picture tube type analog tv that came in our signature rv was heavy and hard to handle.It was held in place on the bottom with a 5 inch deck screw in the front center of the tv which went directly into the plastic tv housing,accessed from the cabinet under the tv.

The top of the tv was also held in place with 2 deck screws directly screwed into the housing on each side accessed through the cabinet on top of the tv.

I replaced the oe tv with a nice Philips flat screen several years ago.

The TV in my Montana had four screws in it. After the original went out I replaced it, mounting it the same way. Pretty spooky screwing those screws into the tv, but it worked for years.

The base on our flat screen is about 6" deep x 12" wide, I drilled a 1/8th" hole in the center of the base 1" back from the front lip and secured it with a stainless 18-8 x 1.5" round head screw into the top of the tv compartment floor.

The tv sits about flush with the opening and the one screw mount allows us to turn the tv on its 6 rubber feet left/right or to get behind it for connections.

When traveling we drape straps over the screen on each side secured to the compartment floor and cabinet under the tv to keep it firmly in place... 4 years of bumpy roads and no problems.
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW SLT 4x4 LB QC CTD PullRite SuperGlide
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT Mich. XPS Ribs Duro Max XP4400E Gen.
2000 Lance 1130 Torklifts/SL/Stainless Generac Gen.
2 Rescued Camping Collies (always ready to go)

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
Memphisdoug wrote:

Most flat screens come with a strap to fix to the wall. Or at least have a place to attach one.

Memphisdoug
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab
2006 Crossroads Paradise Pointe 36RL

Lon-Str
Explorer
Explorer
Hvyhauler wrote:
The picture tube type analog tv that came in our signature rv was heavy and hard to handle.It was held in place on the bottom with a 5 inch deck screw in the front center of the tv which went directly into the plastic tv housing,accessed from the cabinet under the tv.

The top of the tv was also held in place with 2 deck screws directly screwed into the housing on each side accessed through the cabinet on top of the tv.

The TV in my Montana had four screws in it. After the original went out I replaced it, mounting it the same way. Pretty spooky screwing those screws into the tv, but it worked for years.

Hvyhauler
Explorer
Explorer

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW SLT 4x4 LB QC CTD PullRite SuperGlide
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT Mich. XPS Ribs Duro Max XP4400E Gen.
2000 Lance 1130 Torklifts/SL/Stainless Generac Gen.
2 Rescued Camping Collies (always ready to go)

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
OK I did a little searching and you can scratch my idea of mounting to the AC unit. All the ones I keep seeing like that must be just for maintaining the battery when not in use. These real solar panels are huge.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS