cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repack Bearings, Dexter Axles w/Disc Brakes ---- Difficult?

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying to get someone to repack bearings here in Tyler, TX area and they don't seem to return calls. Is it just not worth it to them, or very, very difficult? Don't understand.

How difficult would it be for me to do? Do the disc brakes complicate things? Of course you remove wheel, then hubs, then what? How easy to screw it up? Haven't repacked a bearing in over 60 years, for my grandad's trailer, so not sure how bad it is now days.
6 REPLIES 6

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Invest in one of these
http://www.skygeek.com/kd-tool-2775-hand-bearing-packer.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shoppi...
or like it. Just did my brakes (drum) recently and bought a similar style. Very easy to use.

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
If the disc brakes were factory installed then you may have sealed bearings as that was a standard with many factory installed systems.
Dexter had Rotors that were separate from hubs so remove caliper, remove rotor and then your ready to remove hub. Kodiak has rotor /hub all 1 piece. No mounting or back plates need to be remover. This is based on 8000# axles as I have owned both. Kodiak much easier to work on without busted knuckles. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
aruba5er wrote:
2 bolts that hold the calipers,usually an allen head, remove and hang calipers with a wire to get out of the way, and the rest is same old same old. you may have to force the piston back in with a c clamp to put caliper assem back on

Would one not have to remove the caliper bracket also?

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
2 bolts that hold the calipers,usually an allen head, remove and hang calipers with a wire to get out of the way, and the rest is same old same old. you may have to force the piston back in with a c clamp to put caliper assem back on

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
No personal experience with these but I can't imagine it would be that different than repacking the bearings on a car with disk brakes. You will have to remove the brake caliper to get the hub off. If you need to press the shoes back in, use a large C-clamp and push the piston back in. You should not have to open the bleeder valve at all.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
It is not a difficult job, to repack wheel bearings. I think most RV service centers would rather do jobs that they can make more money doing. If they did take the job, they would probably not have their best tech packing bearings.

There are online videos showing bearing repacks, as well as some pictorials on this forum.

If you are unsure, or have not done this in many years, it would be nice to have a knowledgeable friend, or pay a trusted tech to go through the process with you.

You just need a place to work, lots of rags, paper towels, newspaper, cleaning fluids, proper grease, proper new seals, and time.

Jerry