cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing the 5th Airborne pin box air line

RnTBnB
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 19K 5th Airborne/Sidewinder combo pin box, and it does not hold air. In a discussion with Reese tech support I was told 95% of the time the problem is the air line. However, I have been unable to determine whether this is a DIY project or one for my dealer. Would someone who has replaced the air line in a 5th Airborne share the process, please?
Robert, Teri, Buddy, & Bitsy
2014 Infinity 3610RL 5th Wheel
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic Duramax/Allison
8 REPLIES 8

camperguy99
Explorer
Explorer
I think with my 5th Airborne you can easily remove the 1/4" line. Cut a short piece off using a box knife and reinstall it. Bet it will fix the leak.

pbar34
Explorer
Explorer
I'd put 100 psi in the bag and then use some soapy water to try to pin point the leak. I'd do this before I wasted time/money on replacing things. Those 1/4" air lines have to be pushed in very snug to seal (on each end).

Good luck,
Phil
2005 Cougar 275EFS
2007 Chevy CC, D/A LBZ

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
The original ones didn't even have the air line. If you wanted one they would send it free but you had to put it on. Piece of cake.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

RnTBnB
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your comments. From your descriptions it sounds like I can handle the job myself. Alley Fox, I called tech support at Reese (Cequent Products 888-521-0510) to ask how to do the replacement. While talking with Bill, he told me there are two different replacement air lines, depending on whether or not you have the Sidewinder. With the Sidewinder I need the longer one. eTrailer.com has it (part #58383) for $45.95 (no pictures available). The shorter one is just for the 5th Airborne without the Sidewinder (part #58382). It is actually called an "easy fill retro fit kit for 5th Airborne" and it comes with new "fill to line" stickers and a metal bracket, and it sells for $59.95.
Robert, Teri, Buddy, & Bitsy
2014 Infinity 3610RL 5th Wheel
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic Duramax/Allison

Alley_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
Traildust wrote:
I had to replace the air line on my Reese 5th Airborne not the sidewinder, it was an easy job. Reese sent me a new air line along with instructions, took me about 20 minutes to swap out the airline.

Just curious, who/how did you contact @ Reese or Sequent to get the new air line? I had to adjust the airbag position to almost the low end and the hose is too short, had to move it to the opposite side which is not handy. I'm also thinking about putting a pressure gauge in the line so I can see at a glance how the pressure is holding.
2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T
04.5 GMC Duramax SLT CCLB turbo brake Isspros
B&W Companion, Tekonsha, EFI Live by Rob Coddens, Ride Rite air
5th Airborne

Sonora108
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace the air line on my Reese 5th Airborne not the sidewinder, it was an easy job. Reese sent me a new air line along with instructions, took me about 20 minutes to swap out the airline.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L, B&W Hitch, Twin Honda EU2000i Generators, Tri Metric Battery Monitor, Reese 5th. Airborne.

“Going to the mountains is going home.” John Muir

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from Tech Issues
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have had a 5th Airborne several years, but not with the Sidewinder. Mine originally came with just a short air valve under the bottom of the pin box. Hard to reach. But when I requested it they sent me the new air hose type fitting for free. I pulled the old short valve and installed the hose type valve. Pretty simple and easy to do. Just unscrew it and screw the new on in. Put tape on the threads. I did have to deflate the air bag and remove the air bag bolts to get clearance to screw on the new fitting. But that was no problem either.