cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Resi Fridge draining batteries, please help.

magnusson
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
Brand new Fifth Wheel owner, Just purchased a 2018 Forest River Arctic Wolf. We took our first trip last week and had a blast. Only "issue" we have is that we decided to get the residential fridge(Even though 90% of our camping will be boon docking/Dry) and the stock 2 24dc 85ah 12 volt batteries that I think are wired in parallel only powered our 1000 watt inverter/fridge for about 3 hours. Any recomendations on how to get at least 8 hours of power to fridge from batteries. I'm fine running my generator twice a day. I'm OK buying new batteries and using the stock ones for my boat. 6v vs 12v? The trailer is also solar ready. Thanks for any help while I'm researching.
53 REPLIES 53

magnusson
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Check out my cousin and her husband's bus rebuild project: http://www.beginningfromthismorning.com. Juan goes into a lot of detail in what they're encountering and why they made the decisions they did for their needs. Massive solar and massive batteries. Pretty d@mn interesting...

Lyle

That was a massive project. Nice.

Im looking at solar panels now. If I hook up directly to one battery with alligator clips will it charge all 4 of my batteries?

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Check out my cousin and her husband's bus rebuild project: http://www.beginningfromthismorning.com. Juan goes into a lot of detail in what they're encountering and why they made the decisions they did for their needs. Massive solar and massive batteries. Pretty d@mn interesting...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

magnusson
Explorer
Explorer
sorry typo, 120ac units I meant. OK I guess I gotta find where my converter is. I'm guessing it runs to the batteries but I dont see it in that compartment.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
magnusson wrote:
Also my inverter only powers the 210 units correct? It doesn't have to be on to charge the batteries when connected to shore power? I have no clue where my converter is.
Maybe I missed it.. what is a 210 unit? No, the inverter has nothing to do with charging batteries.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

magnusson
Explorer
Explorer
Also my inverter only powers the 210 units correct? It doesn't have to be on to charge the batteries when connected to shore power? I have no clue where my converter is.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, min 500 watt solar and 4 batteries. I would personally put 4 group 31 AGM deep cycle batteries on it. After that you can literally just forget about including maintaining the batteries.

Personal experience with our fridge.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
I like to stay above 60% for batteries which would give you about 70Ah of battery *if* the batteries were in good shape and fully charged. It's not likely that running the generator for a couple of hours would get a good and complete 100% charge. Combined with other draws on the batteries for things like lights, detectors, loss of power through wiring it doesn't surprise me that 2 small batteries wouldn't sustain the camper for more than a few hours.

I would add at least 500 watts solar and 4 GC batteries more than doubling your battery bank, but more importantly giving you enough solar to overcome the draw of the fridge/trailer during the day and keep the batteries topped off for overnight. You may still need the geneset for cloudy days.

Also I would consider a much smaller inverter dedicated to the fridge 300 watt P/S should be plenty. High quality smaller inverter will waste less power converting 12v to AC.

As mentioned above make sure that the frost free mode is off if possible. Some fridges run that heating element multiple times in a 24 hour period. Big draw..
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
jeepbluetj wrote:
That WFCO converter won't charge any better off of a genset when you're boondocking.

So to summarize a bit.......

Likely actions required to support any combination of devices that have a high battery drain....including incandescent lights.....(and your fridge):

Get better batteries and/or more of them.
Upgrade your converter/charger
Add solar, something between 200 and 400 watts should do.

Consider your next move carefully because you probably need to do ALL 3 OF THOSE THINGS to make your 12 V use mostly worry free.......and it might cost you MORE than the fridge did initially.

I am not saying it can't be done; I am saying that you need to understand what you are getting into.....beforehand.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
lynndiwagon wrote:
The Cross Country Batteries, in 24vdc, have a really low reserve capacity. .
Where did you get they were 24v?

I read his post and he said " and the stock 2 24dc 85ah 12 volt" batteries. Cross Country does make a 24V battery. I did say "something is funky."
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

ScottG wrote:
Did the batteries come with the rig? If so they maybe really cheap and light.
When I replaced my first battery after 1 year I was amazed at how light it was!

That was my problem... 2 year old batteries that I paid extra for the better option were bad. Pulled them out with 1 hand, and no markings on them . .. Replaced with Lifeline
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

jeepbluetj
Explorer
Explorer
That WFCO converter won't charge any better off of a genset when you're boondocking.

Solar... Solar is awesome. I haven't been on shore power since I installed solar. I put 200w with a **** PCM controller on my friends trailer and they haven't plugged it in in 3 years. (Propane fridge tho). I can't stand hearing gensets running for hours when $500 worth of solar would fix that problem. (And lots of RVers have killed their batteries through too deep discharge)

As most everybody has said, 2 el-cheapo G24 batteries ain't gonna cut it with a residential fridge.

Those L16 Trojans are great batteries - But you gotta have a friend that can lift em. 4 GC2s are a tiny bit more capacity, cheaper, and in easier to handle cases. But yup, 2 more interconnects. IMHO 4D and 8D sizes are just too dang big to move around.

magnusson
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Up to 168 hours to fully charge the battery bank WFCO is famous for not charging well. I've not researched their inverter.

magnusson wrote:
About how long on shore power when at my house would it take to charge my batteries on average? I want to test them again.

Dang! Ok ill let them sit and report back if thats the problem. Thanks.

nightshift
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Oh nightshift! If I could just lift those bad boys...with a friend!

That's what I did, Lawrence! My friend lifted the batteries and I drank the beer. Seemed like proper resource management at the time.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Up to 168 hours to fully charge the battery bank WFCO is famous for not charging well. I've not researched their inverter.

magnusson wrote:
About how long on shore power when at my house would it take to charge my batteries on average? I want to test them again.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a Whirlpool 20 cuft and 4 group 27s and can run for several days, but all our lights are also LEDs so min draw off the batteries.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint