cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Residential fridge

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
We just bought a new Montana 5th wheel with a residential fridge. We have only been on one trip with in but so far I’m not a fan. It works fine but I’m use to switching to gas while on the road and this one is electric only. It’s supposed to pull juice from my truck but I’m not sure that is. My son in law says my truck is doing what it’s supposed to ( I’m not sure if he knows what he’s doing or not ) but after 3 1/2 hrs on the road the stuff in the fridge was starting to warm up a little. What am I doing wrong?
45 REPLIES 45

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Diamond c wrote:
I just went out and checked and as I suspected the inverter is on. So I’m going to assume that it’s the truck that isn’t setup to charge the 5er. I’ll have my son-in-law to look at it again and if he can’t figure it out then I’ll take it to the dealership.

It sounds to me like you may have a battery problem. If your RV is new with new batteries you should be able to run the fridge for minimum of 24 hours off of the inverter without even plugging in to the truck or shore power.

Once you get it all figured out and everything working right you will be very pleased with this setup.

You only need one alternator on your truck for the system to stay charged if everything is working.

What size of battery pack do you have?
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had Friends this Summer get a new Redwood with the Residential Fridge and was having issues. Turned out neither the MFR or Dealer setup the Inverter properly. They contacted the Inverter MFR and they walked them through setting it up and all is good now.
We have four 6 Volt Bats and run both our Fridge and small Freezer off the inverter, when both are running they draw 16 Amps from the batteries, but they don't run full time. Been doing it this way for 6 1/2 years and 50K miles.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
I just went out and checked and as I suspected the inverter is on. So I’m going to assume that it’s the truck that isn’t setup to charge the 5er. I’ll have my son-in-law to look at it again and if he can’t figure it out then I’ll take it to the dealership.

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Coach-man wrote:
That is the downer to residential fridges! If you stay put for long periods, and only move occasionally then they are great! Now, if your on the move a lot, your going to have to become an “expert” on batteries, and inverters. Starting with the alternators, yes plural. In your truck. Did your rig come with an inverter? What size is it, does it power more than the fridge? Perhaps, you need to upgrade it, or add one if not present? What is the amp rating on your house batteries? Typically, the factory ships their rigs without batteries, which are provided by the dealer at the time of sale. Again, they typically install the smallest, cheapest batteries they can get away with providing! Some people install a couple of 6 volt golf cart batteries, to ensure they are providing enough amps to run things! That would then require, looking at your charging systems, both in the trailer, and in your truck, keeping the batteries charged! Yep a residential fridge can become an expensive option, if you outfit your truck and rig to support it! Good luck!

ONE alternator in my 15 RAM, two 6V batteries and one 1,000 watt inverter in RV. ALWAYS arrive with temps the same as when I left even on my 33 hour trip mentioned above.

One time I did arrive with temps up. Reason was the batteries were on their last leg. Trip to Costco and all has been well since.

That may well be true! There are options for two alternators on these vehicles! I was expressing to the OP what he “MIGHT” encounter going down this road. There are many variables, and you can not post on a particular situation and expect that to cover all alternatives! Congratulations on YOUR PARTICULAR situation, but it does not cover all situations. Not to mention all the alternative’s and allow the OP to think his situation and yours are identical is doing him a diservice!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Coach-man wrote:
That is the downer to residential fridges! If you stay put for long periods, and only move occasionally then they are great! Now, if your on the move a lot, your going to have to become an “expert” on batteries, and inverters. Starting with the alternators, yes plural. In your truck. Did your rig come with an inverter? What size is it, does it power more than the fridge? Perhaps, you need to upgrade it, or add one if not present? What is the amp rating on your house batteries? Typically, the factory ships their rigs without batteries, which are provided by the dealer at the time of sale. Again, they typically install the smallest, cheapest batteries they can get away with providing! Some people install a couple of 6 volt golf cart batteries, to ensure they are providing enough amps to run things! That would then require, looking at your charging systems, both in the trailer, and in your truck, keeping the batteries charged! Yep a residential fridge can become an expensive option, if you outfit your truck and rig to support it! Good luck!

ONE alternator in my 15 RAM, two 6V batteries and one 1,000 watt inverter in RV. ALWAYS arrive with temps the same as when I left even on my 33 hour trip mentioned above.

One time I did arrive with temps up. Reason was the batteries were on their last leg. Trip to Costco and all has been well since.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
You have a residential frig you have an inverter! As mentioned be sure the inverter is on. I took one trip and the frig temps were up and realized the switch was off. I drove from SoCal to DFW, TX with two stops for two hours each for a nap with truck running non stop. Left SoCal with frig at 38 and freezer at 0 and arrived at the same temps.

I will NEVER own a RV refrigerator again! Love the KitchenAid.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have an inverter that keeps our 23 cubic foot frig perfect. The truck charges the fiver batteries which in turn keep the inverter working at max level. We have thousands of miles on this fiver and we have never had a problem. We will never go back to the standard rv frig.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Don't let the nay sayers discourage. Residential fridge is the bomb, unless you camp off the grid a lot. You do need to turn the inverter on however, and is probably what you didn't do. I leave ours on all the time, it will switch to shore power automatically.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
There you have it. Bigger battery bank and solar. Charge those batteries to 100% BEFORE you leave the house. Get thet fridge as cols as possible BEFORE you leave the house.

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
I have a residential fridge with n 800 W inverter and I would never go back to the old RV type fridge. I have driven 13 hours with no issues. The truck alt will keep the batteries charged with no problem.

I do have two 6V golf cart batteries in the 5er and I do not boondock.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’ve got a resi fridge, with an inverter and 2 golf GC6 batteries and it does great, and would not have an RV fridge after this. But we are in the southeast, and there really aren’t places to boondock.

I’ve spent 12 hours on the road, and the fridge was still running, and the batteries still had a good charge. The charge from the truck doesn’t keep up, but definitely extends the range.

Find your inverter and turn it on before you leave and you’ll be in good shape.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Adequate batteries and a strong solar system should be considered. Otherwise you’ll continue to be tethered to RV parks with electricity or running your generator often. RV retailers and manufacturers are doing “fridge newbies” no favors by not explaining the downsides of electric fridges.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fulltimer50 wrote:
Many companies that offer res fridges also include an inverter to convert DC to AC for the fridge. You should find out if you have one and how to use it.

I'm by no means a expert, but I would bet that if you do not have enough power input to the inverter you can't get enough to power the fridge.
I have a little inverter that plugs into lighter socket. Plugged in the outlet in sleeper, it would not start my coffee grinder. Move up to outlet on dash, warning squeal, but would grind the beans. When I put a outlet hooked up to the heavy wires of the tarp motor switch, could charge laptop, Dustbuster, and grind the beans.
A friend would freeze a couple blocks of ice before he traveled. Move 1 to fridge to help it stay cold, move the fridge stuff that really needed cold to freezer

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
Your new rig came with an inverter. Did you turn it on? Perhaps it is time to get out that big pack of information that came with the unit and read.