cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV garage

thebudman
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering doing a detached garage with an RV stall. So- my question is: what feature(s) should I include in the build? Some I've considered were: 220 power, a large sink (don't need hot water- no need for a hot water heater), and having outlets around the garage for a centralized air compressor. What's else is on the list of things that individuals wished they had installed when their garages were built?
08 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Cab 6 sp manual
08 WW FK 2100
08 Rhino, 99 Honda TRX 400
37 REPLIES 37

steiny93
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
Doughboy12 wrote:

Taller door than you need

14' tall door.

Why? It's an "all inclusive" door and will allow anything to fit. Some RVs won't it under a 12' door, and with toy haulers being fairly tall when you factor in the added eight of A/C units, they may not fit under a 12' door.

Here's a good thread from the truck camper forum:

Finally Getting Started: New Garage With RV Bay

and some don't fit in a 13' door 🙂
2000 Volvo 610
2013 Cyclone 3950

Doughboy12
Explorer
Explorer
cfdwheeler wrote:
Doughboy12 wrote:

Inserts in the floor like 2" receivers....many uses.

Interesting. Could you elaborate on this.

yes...put the receiver sleeves vertically mounted on plates (drill holes for drainage) imbedded in the concrete then make posts and plates to mount bench vises, grinders, stands and clamps, and anything else you can think of...more of a workshop type thing but they can also double as a drain. make "plugs" to keep junk out.

cfdwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
Doughboy12 wrote:

Inserts in the floor like 2" receivers....many uses.

Interesting. Could you elaborate on this.
2018 GMC Denali Dually w/ tow package
B&W 25k Companion Puck
2019 GD Momentum 381M

thebudman
Explorer
Explorer
The floorplan is for a 36(w) x28(d) 3-stall garage with 10' doors, with an attached 18 x 40 RV garage that has a 14(h) x 12(w) door. There will be 2 dormer windows and a second floor above the 3 stall-garage. Total of 1800 srq feet.
08 WW FK 2100

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Doughboy12 wrote:

Taller door than you need

14' tall door.

Why? It's an "all inclusive" door and will allow anything to fit. Some RVs won't it under a 12' door, and with toy haulers being fairly tall when you factor in the added eight of A/C units, they may not fit under a 12' door.

Here's a good thread from the truck camper forum:

Finally Getting Started: New Garage With RV Bay
Bob

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
Doughboy12 wrote:
thebudman wrote:
Mr.Beebo wrote:
It was much easier once I had the building up to go thru it and plan my layout, outlets, drains, lighting, storage, etc.

Question about the drains: I asume that before the foundation/floor is poured, the drains will have to be put in. Is there a consensus about which drain is better? Center floor drain, or a trough-drain on the edges? Or... aside from snow melting from the vehicle, is there a need for any drain at all?

Do you plan on washing your rig? You should.
one thing I left off my list...milk house wall coverings 8' high.

I've been to wash bays where they had a platform on side of the building so able to stand on & reach up high without needing a ladder.

I'd also insulate it and add several unit heaters that run off electric, natural gas or propane. Keep shop insulated & heated if needed. Ability to heat a garage to do work in the winter is priceless.

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

BTWHITIS
Explorer
Explorer
Build it large enough to handle a larger rv. You may trade one day. Put a dump in. Best thing I ever did. Great when you arrive off a trip. Dump and cleanup simple.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
A wish list would include sewer dump and 50amp service. But if it's just for storage you don't need either. 20amp outlets for keeping the batteries charged and cleaning tanks before going to storage. As for guests using my rig, NOT!
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Want ideas, head over to Garage Journal Forum....so crazy and cool stuff over there as well as everyday helpful ideas.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

Doughboy12
Explorer
Explorer
05hd350 wrote:
Good luck and even if you decide to build your garage 100 X 100 eventually it will be to small !

AMEN brother... I have 6 garage stalls and 2 sheds and am now "out of space."

05hd350
Explorer
Explorer
I've been pondering some of these same things,
50 amp plug even if you only need 30 now
14 door hieght
Doors front and back for air flow
Floor drain with enough grade so water actually falls to the drain and doesn't puddle
Long enough if possible to leave the truck hooked up if possible
Wide enough to open all the slides and still walk around/ work on camper
I would skip the skylights, wanting to keep as much UV etc off the camper as possible
Good luck and even if you decide to build your garage 100 X 100 eventually it will be to small !

thebudman
Explorer
Explorer
workhardplayharder wrote:
Heck why not add a stage and pole?

I can close my eyes and almost hear "She My Cherry Pie" by "Warrant".

Thanks for all the responses- ther'es a few things mentioned that I didn't even consider.

Anyone have any experience installing a Rapid Air system? Seems like a no-brainer for new construction.
08 WW FK 2100

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
Heck why not add a stage and pole?

Doughboy12
Explorer
Explorer
thebudman wrote:
Mr.Beebo wrote:
It was much easier once I had the building up to go thru it and plan my layout, outlets, drains, lighting, storage, etc.

Question about the drains: I asume that before the foundation/floor is poured, the drains will have to be put in. Is there a consensus about which drain is better? Center floor drain, or a trough-drain on the edges? Or... aside from snow melting from the vehicle, is there a need for any drain at all?

Do you plan on washing your rig? You should.
one thing I left off my list...milk house wall coverings 8' high.