cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Salvage title resale value

Trxracing
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 07 crossroads travel trailer toy hauler 32' with a 12' garage. It has a salvage title what's your guys opinion on resale value would it scare you away? It had jackknife damage to the front end it was fixed and cannot see any sign of repair. Going rate for this is 10-13,000 I think without being a salvage title.
12 REPLIES 12

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Trxracing wrote:
I have a 07 crossroads travel trailer toy hauler 32' with a 12' garage. It has a salvage title what's your guys opinion on resale value would it scare you away? It had jackknife damage to the front end it was fixed and cannot see any sign of repair. Going rate for this is 10-13,000 I think without being a salvage title.

This is an Ohio Salvage title? If so you cannot buy plates and register it for road use. In Ohio the vehicle must be repaired, inspected by the Ohio Highway Patrol, and then issued a Rebuilt Salvage title.

I would say a Rebuilt Salvage title knocks probably 30 percent off of the value.

Be aware that an insurance company may not be willing to insure the vehicle other than liability.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

2Bargos
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just finished camper number fifteen
That I've bought as totals and rebuilt.
They were all tagged as rebuilt titles.
I list them for sale,have before and after pics for buyer and am totally up front about the damage

As for value ,,they generally sell for around
60-75% of book value.
If their repaired right they are generally as good
As or better than new.
I started fixing them in 04 and up to this point my hobby has paid for itself
Our current camper is an 07 Cherokee 28a+.I have about $3300 invested in camper and have turned down double money on it because wife wants to keep.probably have 150 hours invested but it made a good winter project.
2006 F-250
2008 Cherokee 28A+
2003 Harley Ultra
A wife that enjoys my hobbies as much as I do.
A Day Hemmed in prayer seldom comes unraveled

Trxracing
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, the thing doesn't owe me anything so I might as well keep it and do some improvements. I agree with poorly build especially with what a new one cost behind the scenes your not getting much for your money.. I was thinking about selling it due to it has sway issues being a TT I'm going to convert it to a gooseneck design since I don't have to worry about resale value and make it what I want.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 5th w some yrs ago with a salvage title. I used it for 4 or 5 yrs and sold it to the first person to look at it. I was lucky. I would not buy another salvage RV or and vehicle. I also bought a car and a P/Up with a salvage title. I lucked out and made money on each one but I bought at a much reduced price
samsontdog:o:W

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
If I'm understanding correctly, this is your unit and your trying to get an idea as to what a potential buyer might think.

I think you'll find only a small percentage of buyers would consider it for all the reasons stated previously, like finding an insurer, quality of the repairs, future resale, etc. So you may have to really sell it cheap to get a buyer.

If it were a 5r or TT that someone may park and live in, it wouldnt matter as much, but being a toy hauler, most would purchase for regular use on the roads and be more concerned with all the issues listed above..
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't be running to a salvage title but I wouldn't run away from it either.

Check with your insurance carrier first to see if they'll even cover it.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Trailers are too poorly built to begin with to worry about what else is going to fall apart on a salvage title trailer. I'd avoid it.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not only does a Salvage title depreciate the value it can cause insurance coverage issues.

Per Kelly Blue Book:
A salvaged, reconstructed or otherwise "clouded" title has a permanent negative effect on the value of a vehicle. The industry rule of thumb is to deduct 20% to 40% of the Blue Book value, but salvage title vehicles really should be privately appraised on a case-by-case basis in order to determine their market value.

IF you have documentation of damages AND repairs then MAYBE $8k
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
So ask 30 to 50 percent discount vs normal title.
Yes it will always be an issue so you should demand a discount same as the next person will.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, I'd have to give it a pass too. There's good trailers out there without risking a salvage title, IMO anyway.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
I would have to pass, Different State laws effects units with salvage titles..Good luck
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
"would it scare you away?" Yup, absolutely. I would never even consider it at any price. But that's just me.