cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking a used 1/2 Ton Tot Hauler. Ideas?

jeffnkell
Explorer
Explorer
Checking into a Toy Hauler to haul the Goldwing and do a little camping as well. Looking at Play-mor due to the fact they are quite 1/2 ton towable. Not much creature comforts in the ones I am seeing. But I can add options. I am a handy kind of guy..

Any Ideas?

I would really appreciate some input.

Thanks in advance.

Happy Trails...
21 REPLIES 21

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Cranky Ape Auction site: http://www.crankyape.com/default.asp?pg=DisItems&Cat=6
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
You really have to check the specifications of your particular half ton. Half Ton's Gross towing capacity can be anywhere from 7k to 10k+ depending on the truck.. Then look at the MUST haves in a Toy Hauler ie enclosed garage or open, seperate bedroom, walk around bed or a combination of...And then how much you want to spend and go from there...
If you like Play Mor then check out the Work and Play line they have bumper pull toy haulers from 16 foot to 36 foot.

Some examples
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2015-Forest-River-Work-and-Play-25UDT-113551579

Or if you want a garage
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2015-Forest-River-Work-And-Play-275ULSBS-114024793
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you can retain 10% tongue weight with the half ton of bike in the back. Should be in the specs for the trailer somewhere.

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
Wolf Pup 17RP

Grey Wolf 19RR

Couple of 1/2 ton towables.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

NiasWagn
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 19RR with my Ford 1/2 ton and it was no problem. It was a great trailer for rallies and such. I now tow a 25RR with the same half ton. Still tows like a breeze. Adding the wing in the back didn't make much of a difference. If anything it dropped the hitch weight a little.

I used to have a Tundra 4.7L truck and it didn't handle the 19RR as well. What comforts are you looking for?
2012 F-150 EB 3.73
2014 Forest River 25RR
2004 GL1800
2014 Texas Healer with wet nose named Molly

jeffnkell
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.

The Unit weighs in at 4100 pounds. The wing weighs in at 906 lbs. We won't be take a lot of gear. Just the normal extended weekend sort of stuff.

Our TV is a GMC Sierra Denali. She is capable of 8100 pounds from what I have read. I do have a 15K pound hitch ready to go. I am fully aware of overweight versus CGVW.

Thanks for the hint!!!

JnK

Kafn8td
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Fun Finder XT 276 and it's great. It's light weight, but with the wing in the back it might be a bit much for a 1/2 ton.

They do make smaller versions, but I understand Thor just bought Fun Finder so you might be able to find them at a discount.