cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking advice on towing vehicle

upmm019
Explorer
Explorer
Seeking advice on a towing vehicle for a 5th wheel camper.

I am looking at a 2019 Heartland Road Warrior 413RW

I've only ever owned a small travel trailer that was 21' so my SUV was able to tow.

As given, with the fifth wheel I need to upgrade to a pickup but I am not well versed in pickups.

I would have to buy used and not sure what size I should look for or if I should look for it to be gas or diesel, etc.

Thx.
23 REPLIES 23

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"These new generation SRW's are beasts.... 5'er tow rating of 21k..."

Is that a fifth wheel rating? If so one must understand that would be a triple axle unit with 15% pin weight no doubt.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well at 15,800# empty and 20,000# GVWR find a good used 350/3500 DRW Ford or
Ram with a 14,000# GVWR, GM was stuck at 13,025# until 2019. Diesel with 4.10 rear end and at least a 25,000# tow rating
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer is similar to the Road Warrior in size and weights and I have pulled mine all over the US with a 2013 Chevy dually Duramax diesel. I like the extra stability of a dually and with a 5,000 pound payload I'm not worried about overloading my truck.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Then you are looking for a "Toy Hauler" fifth wheel and they tend to the large to extra large sizes and a dually. Be prepared for a tremendous adjustment in your driving style jumping from a SUV to a dually with a very long fiver. You may want to consider an RV driving class.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

I just looked at 1 online at Johnny Walker RV... It has a dry weight of 15,805#, with a GVW of 20k..

With those weights, you would want a mildly used 1 ton DRW... IF you had a NEW ( 2020 ) SRW, you MAY be able to use that, but I believe yo stated your looking at used..

These new generation SRW's are beasts.... 5'er tow rating of 21k... payload of 4500#... but still have to worry about the rear axle capacity, and tires..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

upmm019
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing the details... We are not head set any given RV.

We are empty nesters with two dogs and are exploring our options if we go the RV route vs. finding a cabin somewhere, etc.

We would like to find something that has a space for hauling a Dirt bike or Four wheeler and doubles as a space for dogs if needed.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
That's a big jump up from a 21ft bumper pull. Doable but don't cheap out or you will be sorry.

We have a friend with a similar size Road Warrior. They have a diesel dually 1 ton (2013 I think)...and they've had the truck struggle in moderately hilly conditions.

You are definitely in diesel dually 1 ton territory at a minimum (or possibly 450/550 range) but also need to consider age. Newer trucks often have significantly higher capacities.

Looking the trailer up online:
- GVWR: 20,000lb
- Empty 16,045lb
- Hitch Weight: 3,520lb (presumably empty)

DO NOT JUST CONSIDER THE MAX TOW RATING!!!!

Items to check on the truck:
- Tow rating at least 20,000lb (don't fool yourself into thinking you will run with an empty trailer)
- CGVWR: Max total weight for truck and trailer loaded for the road - combined.
- Truck Payload: This includes the fully loaded hitch weight, hitch, people and any cargo in the truck. If there are after market add-ons like running boards, those count against you too.
Note, the hitch weight should be 20-25% of the fully loaded weight. If we assume 20,000lb, that means 4,000-5,000lb hitch weight.
- RAWR: Since the hitch, hitch weight and anything in the bed is almost all going to go onto the rear axle, you might hit the rear axle weight rating.

Again, especially with older trucks, you can't count on them having the same capabilities, so don't assume 2020 truck numbers are interchangeable with a 2015 truck. Also, make sure to check the rating stickers on the inside of the door. They may have different differentials or in some cases different axles. Make sure it's new enough that it has an integrated exhaust brake to help slow things down coming down mountains. If the truck has been modified, be careful they didn't reduce the capabilities (ie: replaced the tires with ones with a lower load rating to save some money...A 10,000lb rear axle with tires that are only rated for 8,000lb limits you to 8,000lb).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know what that fiver weighs. But in general buy a 1 ton US brand pickup. The price difference is minor between the 3/4 and 1 ton. If you stay east of the Mississippi or in flatlands then you can get by with a gas engine. If you plan to go into the western mountains then you will be much happier with a diesel.
For a large fifth wheel you will want dual rear wheels for smaller ones a single rear wheel will do and is more maneuverable.

If you plan to stay on the pavement the a 2WD is OK if you want to travel on dirt roads (boondocking or exploring) then a 4WD. Tho you won't regret having a 4WD when you need one.

If you buy a new truck then get the hitch bed preparation. If you buy used you'll have to take what is offered. For hitches get a B&W or Pullrite.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the stats for this coach, IMO you are in dually territory. Diesel as well. 2015 and up for any of three.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"