Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shackle straps?

Don_A_L
Explorer
Explorer
Hi

I was doing some maintenance on my 2014 DRV Tradition, 28,000 miles on it, and found both straps broken on the LH rear axle and one broken on the RH front axle.

We just got back from a 3300 mile trip from Minnesota to Maine and back!
I wish I could say when they broke. I check tires at every stop and did a full inspection before I left on the trip. The axles are 7000 lb. Trailair Equa flex by the way.

My question is what's the best replacement for the straps? Are wet bolts a good addition as long as the straps are being replaced?
I'm not sure if I want to tackle it myself and given one spring eye would be sitting on the frame. I will have to get a mobile repair service to come to my house.

I think we dodged a potential bad one.

Thanks
Don
8 REPLIES 8

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not only are they twice as thick, but they are bolted together as a unit so the shackles are locked to the bolts, and the bolts rotate in the brass bushings.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Don,
I would suggest you go with a heavy duty kit like this one from Dexter. Or something similar.

I have the EZ Flex kit which includes the heavy duty shackles and wet bolts in the kit.
Barney

I also have very similar kit from Dexter and the shackles are twice as thick as stock shackles, very heavy duty!! Highly recommend them!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don A L wrote:
The two metal straps or plates that connect the front spring eye to the center equalizer.
So they are a wear item on trailers? Definitely will go with heavy duty and wet bolts.

Don
If you change to the Dexter EZ Flex and wet bolt kit, the shackle straps will not be wear items. The EZ Flex and wet bolt kit is the way trailers should come from the factory.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don,
I would suggest you go with a heavy duty kit like this one from Dexter. Or something similar.

I have the EZ Flex kit which includes the heavy duty shackles and wet bolts in the kit.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
What you are referring to are shackle straps. Yes they are a wear item and generally RV suspensions come from the factory with straps that are 1/2 the thickness than replacement straps available from Mor Ryde. You should also replace the bolts with greasable bolts(refered to as wet bolts) as well as brass bushings. The bushings found on original equipment suspensions are plastic and wear out very quickly which causes the straps to fail. Google MorRyde suspension parts and you'll see what I'm talking about. You can buy everything in a kit.

Don_A_L
Explorer
Explorer
The two metal straps or plates that connect the front spring eye to the center equalizer.
So they are a wear item on trailers? Definitely will go with heavy duty and wet bolts.

Don

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Was everything original? If so, you surely got lucky you got this far. Like Don said, are you referring to the hangers or shackles? Hangers welded to frame. Shackles attach spring to to hangers? If no wet bolt kit, I certainly would go with one as you'll get beefier shackles, bronze bushings and the greaseable bolts. Not an overly hard job to do, but will take a a couple -few hours. I replaced the stock junk on our '18 Big Country couple months after we got it with a wet bolt kit. Love it.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
By shackle straps are you referring to spring hangers? New neavy duty hangers are the only way,to go. While your at it, a total wet bolt kit, and maybe a air bag equalizer to go with everything else. Heck might as well make it ride smoother while doing everything else.