cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shock Absorber Question - Your opinion...

TheLostDutchman
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned my 2003 Hitchhiker since it was new - bought it in Oct 2002. While getting my rig ready for a long road trip, it dawned on me... my shocks are the factory originals, now 12 years old. They have approximately 45000 miles on them, some on not so great roads like the back country areas in Arizona and the Top Of The World Highway between Alaska and Canada.

I was wondering if, like tires, there is a recommended time to replace them, irrespective of outward appearance. There are no leaks, but I've never taken them off to see how they dampen. I know they cannot last forever, so I was wondering if there was a rule of thumb some of you might follow in a case like this, and what your recommendations are. I figure having them taken off to check and inspect would cost almost as much as installing new shocks to begin with. Thanks in advance for your input.

Bill
Bill & Nettie
U.S. Army (Retired)

16 REPLIES 16

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
When shock absorbers go bad, the bushings start to show wear because they begin to take a beating. So if there are no leaks and the bushings look full and round, your shocks are still fine. And, unlike the 60s and 70s, today's shocks will last longer than 45,000 miles.

OEM shocks on my 2006 were shot before 40,000 miles. When I checked the Chmnese shocks on my previous camper at 15,000 miles one was froze up and would not move. Two of the others had no dampening effect at all. None showed any leakage.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

TheLostDutchman
Explorer
Explorer
My thanks to all who replied. I was already leaning toward replacement and the gist of what was written here seems to support that. Easy fix. Thanks for the heads-up on the Monroes. That's what I will do. Happy Easter to all and safe travels.
Bill & Nettie
U.S. Army (Retired)

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
TheLostDutchman wrote:

I've owned my 2003 Hitchhiker since it was new -

bought it in Oct 2002. While getting my rig ready for a long road trip, it dawned on me... my shocks are the factory originals, now 12 years old.

Bill

IMO - replace 'em - inexpensive & easy.

Like shocks on a tow vehicles , OEM shocks on your trailer ..:R.. may have a relatively short lifespan, regardless of mileage.

Bean counters use low bid..:(

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Raymon wrote:
I know how to test shocks. If the shocks are worn out and there is no visible markings on the shocks and I want to replace with the type of shock that originally came on the trailer, how do I determine if the originals were oil or gas?RAy

I believe that if you undue one shock mount and the shock expands then it is a gas shock as the gas is under pressure. That is if the gas is still in the shock.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Bamaman1 wrote:
I had 115K miles on my F250, and never had a wheel alignment. I had long ago put Bilstein shocks on my truck--supposedly the top of the line shocks.

When I noticed my tires wearing at 40K miles, my tire dealer did an alignment. He said my shocks were long since worn out and that I had a bad tie rod end.

I went to Rock Auto and picked up 4 Monroe heavy duty shocks--and they feel as good as my Bilsteins ever did--at 1/4th the price.

It's most important to maintain any tow truck's suspension and brakes to a 100% level. Now I get a wheel alignment yearly--if just to get a professional to checkout my suspension and brakes.

Bamaman1...op is talking about shocks on his 5er...not his truck..
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
I had 115K miles on my F250, and never had a wheel alignment. I had long ago put Bilstein shocks on my truck--supposedly the top of the line shocks.

When I noticed my tires wearing at 40K miles, my tire dealer did an alignment. He said my shocks were long since worn out and that I had a bad tie rod end.

I went to Rock Auto and picked up 4 Monroe heavy duty shocks--and they feel as good as my Bilsteins ever did--at 1/4th the price.

It's most important to maintain any tow truck's suspension and brakes to a 100% level. Now I get a wheel alignment yearly--if just to get a professional to checkout my suspension and brakes.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Raymon wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Raymon wrote:
How do you know if the OEM shocks are oil-filled or gas-filled? I am just curious. I don't think there is any way to visually detect f gas shocks leak.

I would say if you can't actuate the shock or if it moves too easily, then it is no good, be it gas filled or oil filled....

I know how to test shocks. If the shocks are worn out and there is no visible markings on the shocks and I want to replace with the type of shock that originally came on the trailer, how do I determine if the originals were oil or gas?

RAy

I wasn't trying to be a smart aleck; you asked, I gave the only answer I knew...."IF" it were me, I really wouldn't be hung up on if the shocks were oil filled or gas filled, (really isn't going to matter)....The perfect match for my replacement shocks, though far more superior was the Monroe Severe duty shock....I've had both gas filled and oil filled on 5er's before and can't tell a difference, but once I put these on, I could tell a difference in handling, but I had also beefed up complete suspension.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
When in doubt, change them out. They are relatively inexspensive & easy to change. Did mine after an estimated 60,000 miles. Can't say that any change was noticed but I feel better for doing it.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
Raymon wrote:
How do you know if the OEM shocks are oil-filled or gas-filled? I am just curious. I don't think there is any way to visually detect f gas shocks leak.

I would say if you can't actuate the shock or if it moves too easily, then it is no good, be it gas filled or oil filled....

I know how to test shocks. If the shocks are worn out and there is no visible markings on the shocks and I want to replace with the type of shock that originally came on the trailer, how do I determine if the originals were oil or gas?

RAy

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Raymon wrote:

B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my 3500# weight rated spring packs for 4,000# spring packs (still 7,000# rated axles, but wanted to upgrade spring packs)...also removed all 4 older shocks and replaced with Monroe severe duty shocks and had Equalflex system....made a big difference with the 5er.....

As stated, remove a shock and see how it's working...I took one off and it was shot....thus the reason I replaced all 4.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
When shock absorbers go bad, the bushings start to show wear because they begin to take a beating. So if there are no leaks and the bushings look full and round, your shocks are still fine. And, unlike the 60s and 70s, today's shocks will last longer than 45,000 miles.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I would pull them (at least unbolt one end) and see if there is any dampening resistance. 3 of the 4 shocks on my 2003 TV were blown and I replaced them last year...the truck only had 79k miles on it. The shocks looked fine but age did them in.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran