cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Short Bed vs Long Bed

JeffroMax
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't realize how much of a difference there was when backing up a fifth wheel. My father-in-law has been battling cancer for over 10 years now and I had to back in his fifth wheel a few weeks ago on our camping trip with his long bed ford truck. My short bed Mega cab can turn that fifth wheel any way quickly I want it too and can get the job done easy. I felt like it was my first backing in a fifth wheel with that long bed Ford. It takes so long for the fifth wheel to react when I turn compared to my short bed dodge. I will never own a long bed truck after that experience. Has anyone else drove a long bed and short bed then experienced this? Or was it because I was backing in a ford? ๐Ÿ˜‰
06 Dodge Cummins 2500 Mega Cab Shortbed
07 Jayco Jay Flight 30.5 RLS
08 Polaris RZR 800
24 REPLIES 24

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
:h these long vs short beds are hard on the pop corn. the short bed turns my crank.

get whatever turns yours and tune out the ya gotta have a long bed crowd. :W

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
My dually is much harder than my former short bed 2500 when backing my 5r.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
cpaulsen wrote:
I had a short bed then went to a long bed...would never go back to a short bed

I had a Long Bed crew cab 1T diesel Ferd -

then went to a Short Bed quad cab 1T Dodge CTD, and....

....would never go back to a Long Bed!..:W..:W

It's a matter of preference...whatever works best for the owner.:C

~

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I'll never go back to a ..... hmmm just remembered I have one of both.

How silly all this sounds.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Sohio
Explorer
Explorer
MTPockets1 wrote:
cpaulsen wrote:
I had a short bed then went to a long bed...would never go back to a short bed
. X2

X3
2015 Ford F-350 CC,LB,DRW,4x4, 6.7L 3.73 gears,
B&W Companion
2010 Jayco Eagle 351 RLSA Fifth wheel,
Palmer, the ball loving Golden Retriever.(Gone, but in our hearts forever)
Jackson, the Happy (and sometimes crazy) Golden Retriever.

My Photos

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
When I needed it the LB was good. Now that I don't need to haul a lot of stuff the SB CC works better for me. No way could I back my 5'r down my narrow winding driveway with a LB CC. And for my current lifestyle, we are better with having more room in the cab (CC) than is the bed of the truck.

Last truck was SB ext Cab. That Ext Cab was a real PITA. But boy, was that truck maneuverable for backing the 5'r down my driveway.

So to each their own. And things change as your life changes.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

Alley_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a long bed, the price was discounted as most people don't like the LB, but I wouldn't trade for a short bed, yes there are inconveniences and a learning curve to back up and finding parking spots, but I like the ride and the usefulness.
2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T
04.5 GMC Duramax SLT CCLB turbo brake Isspros
B&W Companion, Tekonsha, EFI Live by Rob Coddens, Ride Rite air
5th Airborne

Hoppypoppy
Explorer
Explorer
If I were a full timer I might consider a LB. But for the relatively few times I get to pull our 5er I will stick with the SB. My truck is also my driver, plus I simply like the looks of the SB over a LB. I own a GMC and have considered a Ford for my next truck. Good info here regarding steering differences. Wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
My BIL's Ford will not turn as tight as my Chevy. I have not backed his 5er with it but really noticed the difference in a parking garage. Both are 4x4, long bed, crew cabs.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MC9 wrote:
True, short beds maneuver better than long beds. Try a dually, whole different experience.

What does being a dually have to do with how well it backs in a 5er?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fords are noted for having a poor turn radius. Heck, a Volvo 610 will turn sharper!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Depends upon what you need to do with it. I like the ride on a longer wheel base truck. My F350 CC long bed 172" WB Dually takes 3' of the parking space behind it and it might take me an extra pull up at the campground, but I'll take those minor inconveniences for the hours of smooth ride getting there.

The long bed allows me to put coolers or dog kennel behind the cab and still pull my trailer. Pros and cons to each but since its a personal choice, opinion matters little.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had both LB and SB pickups and used both for lots of 5th wheel towing, TC hauling, and some TT towing. Learned a lesson so well! Never again will we own a SB for 5th wheel or TC traveling! We've sold our TT recently so that's not an issue as still having the TC and the 5th wheel at our nearly 72 years of age is plenty. My wife calls the SB pickups "half trucks" and that about sums it up!

Can't use space you DON'T even have and the LB truck ride quality is so much better too! The LB truck allows us carry our 100 gallons usable diesel tank in the bed along with our 22" X 45" X 22" high storage box and the 2 group 31 deep cycle batteries when towing our 5th wheel. Try that with any SB truck!

Fords, especially the CC LB pickups, have always well known for their very limited turn radius and lack of maneuverability and the OP just found that out for himself.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
Take both trucks into an empty parking lot and turn them in a circle, and then you can see why the response is so different in backing. My cc lb dually needs to do a Y turn on a standard two lane at an intersection.