cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gray water tank #1 empties slowly?

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
My gray water tank #1(shower only) takes about one hour to empty out from first pulling lever, which releases a full pipe gush of water for 10 seconds, down to a slow trickle of water that takes one hour to completely stop running. (The water supply valve and water pump switch are in the off position so no source of water is going into any of the tanks).

The gray #1 lever pulls out the same distance, about 4 to 5 inches, as gray #2 and the black water levers. The pull out resistance is the same on all three levers. If it matters with answering my question, the tank level indicators inside the 5er read as follows: black=empty, gray #2=empty, gray #1= 1/3.

My 5er is a new 2014 model with about 40 nights of use and about 10 tank empties. Could my gray tank #1 have an obstruction, possibly the cutout, or is there an adjustment on the tank valve lever that is not allowing it to open fully?

Any ideas to assist with this slow drain problem would be appreciated. Gracious.

Lakeside
9 REPLIES 9

100ton
Explorer
Explorer
Grady23 wrote:
Take it back to the dealer and have THEM FIX IT. If YOU damage something while trying to fix the problem them it's ALL on your Dime.

100Ton -- The item you are refering to is a "FISH" tape not fist. Probably just a mis-spellling!

Correct Grady23, Fish Tape, just a typo. A FIST tape could get a little messy. 🙂
'05 Ford F250 Crew Cab, PSD, 4X4, Short Bed, Camper & Tow Package, Limited Slip Differential
'05 CrossRoads, Cruiser 29RK
PullRite 16K SuperGlide

routemaster
Explorer
Explorer
I had that problem and it was the 3ins slug left in the tank when the drilled the hole for the gate valve.
2017 Landmark Arlington 365
2015 Silverado LTZ 3500 c/c LWB.

roman_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem. Went to Home Depot and bought a new vacuum breaker. No more problem. Good luck.

RT

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you folks for the ideas. I will try them out and write when I have eliminated the problem.

You would think that a unit having a retail price of $85,000+ ought to have some really good workers that take pride in their finished product? Leaving construction debris inside the tanks shows me some of the employees have "don't give a crap" attitude. I expected more from Heartland!

Lakeside

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
Take it back to the dealer and have THEM FIX IT. If YOU damage something while trying to fix the problem them it's ALL on your Dime.

100Ton -- The item you are refering to is a "FISH" tape not fist. Probably just a mis-spellling!
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB
2012 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax w/Allison
Grady Gulfstream w/twin 150'S
We're Just getting started

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
First thing is the confirm tank vent line is clear.

Next time you dump.......after it has drained go up on roof, remove vent line cap and run a garden hose down line. Then turn on garden hose and watch flow from tank.

A cut out will float around until it gets suck down against drain outlet.

The sudden rush when you first open drain valve and then slowing down sounds more like a vent problem
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
Second that the dealer take care of the problem. Could it be the tank isn"t vented and creating a vacumum? I like the idea of a scope going in to look.

100ton
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds lika an obstruction (as you mentioned) to me. The next time tank is empty try removing the valve. I suspect the obstruction will be right behind the valve. Oh....... I just realized you said your unit was a 2014 model, let the dealer take care of it under warranty. The dealer may have a camera that is suited for putting some "light" light on the issue.

Keep us posted on your findings.

Robert
Huntington Beach, California

On Edit: Try running a rod or wire (fist tape) up the train when the flow slows and see if you can move the obstruction. This would at least have the possibility confirming the location of the problem.
'05 Ford F250 Crew Cab, PSD, 4X4, Short Bed, Camper & Tow Package, Limited Slip Differential
'05 CrossRoads, Cruiser 29RK
PullRite 16K SuperGlide

bad99ram
Explorer
Explorer
Probably the cutout. Seems to be a common problem