cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide hesitates, sometimes stops

Dry_Desert_Heat
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2003 Alpenlite Augusta with a flat floor living room slide. This slide extends fine, but has problems retracting in the first 6 inches or so as the slide has to raise. After that, it moves in just fine. We travel 3 months in the summer from Phoenix and make a lot of overnight stops during each trip, so the slide has gotten a lot of use. Had the slide checked by a local shop and lubricated, installed 4 new batteries (first diagnosis was weak batteries) but the slide is still slow on starting when it is warm outside, sometimes stopping entirely when it's cold. Can extend the slide immediately after it stops and try again to close it, so apparently there are no electrical circuit breaker problems. The shop suggested a new slide motor, but admitted that they had seen cases where this change did not help. There are no mud or other buildups on the wiper seals. Could the problem be stiffened wiper seals (due to age and heat) that require much more force by the motor to retract the slide? I haven't tried waxing the slide to make it more slippery for the seals to move over the surface. Your thoughts?
Dry Desert Heat :C
2003 Alpenlite Augusta 32RL
Honda EU3000i
2004 Chevy LS Crew Cab
Allison/Duramax
22 REPLIES 22

CREATO
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcaneer wrote:
Michelle.S wrote:
Don't know about your unit, but guessing you're referencing hydraulic slides. Many RVs use an auto-reset circuit breaker in the slide pump power line. These do go bad resulting in a stopping and restarting of operation and will only get worse. I would check to see if you have an auto-reset breaker and replace it.
Have had a similar issue on previous Montana and current Redwood.

This is the correct response. Follow your positive wire from the battery. It will connect to a breaker (actually two in series) that is connected under a rubber cover. Usually a red cover, and attached to the back wall of the front storage compartment. These suckers go bad frequently. Remove both of them and take them to an auto parts store for replacement. About $6.00 a piece.

This is your problem.

I don't believe WRV ever used Hyd. Slides on any of the 5vers
I dont rent out space in my brain

Dry_Desert_Heat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your posts. The rig is in storage currently, preventing me from extending the slide. I'll be able to pull it out within a week and check out the ideas you have suggested. The slide does not appear to be hydraulic. It is powered by a single motor connected to dual gears that mesh with two geared tracks.
Dry Desert Heat :C
2003 Alpenlite Augusta 32RL
Honda EU3000i
2004 Chevy LS Crew Cab
Allison/Duramax

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
This will sound strange but it has happened to us: Make sure you push the switch HARD, during the entire cycle.

With ours if we let off the pressure at at all,(subconsciously) even though the switch was still pushed "In," the slide would stop.

Try it. Won't cost anything to check it out.

Let us know what you find.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
Don't know about your unit, but guessing you're referencing hydraulic slides. Many RVs use an auto-reset circuit breaker in the slide pump power line. These do go bad resulting in a stopping and restarting of operation and will only get worse. I would check to see if you have an auto-reset breaker and replace it.

This is the correct response. Follow your positive wire from the battery. It will connect to a breaker (actually two in series) that is connected under a rubber cover. Usually a red cover, and attached to the back wall of the front storage compartment. These suckers go bad frequently. Remove both of them and take them to an auto parts store for replacement. About $6.00 a piece.

This is your problem.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
If it's not the motor causing problems you might want to look around for water intrusion around the slide room. It can make things swell and bind and will present much as you described. One way to check it is to get out the hand crank and retract it manually using the crank. You should be able to feel very easily is it is binding anywhere.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
With the side fully extended lift up carpet edge and inspect 'rollers' .
Should be right at edge of slide out. Slide out raises up/slides over rollers as it is retracting.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

hhoffman
Explorer
Explorer
I would place a volt meter on the motor terminals while attempting to slide in. If the voltage reading goes below approximately 8 Volts then the problem is electrical.