cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide Out Awning

Virginia_RVers
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Crossroads PP 5er and thinking about adding a manual awning on my slide out. What concerns should I have on installing or extra weight on the slide out. Main awning is manual and to high to put out each time.
2014 Dodge 3500 DRW, Cummins Diesel
2007 Crossroads Paradise Pointe PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Chelsea & Duncan (Traveling Scotty Dogs)
6 REPLIES 6

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Gad I wish I could do that but my curb side slide is only 6'. Can't seem to find awnings that small.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

When we were ordering our trailer back in 08 , we were specing it out with the factory rep at an open house.
We were trying to decide the cut off point for factory installed options.. She told us that if we wanted that awning we need to have it done during the build.. They in fact pack out the slide walls with wood so the awning rail hardware has something to bite into..

Now , that was KZ , and can assume that most others do the same?

BTW- we ordered it and will probably never go without again,,,, almost the entire side of the camper is awning .. We put the table under one...and the chairs and stuff under the other..
Here is ours with both awnings out... Before setting any chairs out...

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
We see a lot of 5th wheels with awnings on slide outs and It looks like a plan especially when the picnic table is on the end of the patio.....I may try it.....

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
The slide should be constructed the same as the side of the coach, so attaching shouldn't be a problem - however you will end up with a short arm awning because of the length of the arms and height available. There is nothing to attached to below the floor of the slide - it's all tin.

If your main awning is electric, you might try an electric on the slide. they don't require near as log of arms. Ours has a Carefree electric on the slide.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You may find that there is very little material to attach the awning to. I ended up using long screws that go all the way through the wall and securing them with fender washers and locking nuts. They ended up in a overhead cabinet so they're not visible.
It's odd to me that a manufacturer will install an awning rail to install a slide awning but no real good places on the slide itself to secure it. Makes you wonder what they were thinking.

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure you find the aluminum studs to secure the drip rail to, and use stainless steel sheet metal screws. Same issue with the side hardware attachment points. Look for an awning intended for truck campers or small trailers like pop ups, they will probably only extend out 6 ft, since that will be plenty on an already extended slide out.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos