cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide out toppers

N1538sv35
Explorer
Explorer
I want to get toppers for my slide outs. What do you recommend?
10 REPLIES 10

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, Duplicate post.
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
We have had them over our 3 sets of windows on our Carriage since 1996. We started with Carefree which worked wonderfully well. When we did our Carriage in 2010 we had them changed to match our new color scheme. My error was not ensuring that I got the same heavy fabric. I found out when the wind blew that they were flimsey and did flap in the wind & didn't hold up well. Several years ago, we couldn't stand it anymore and had new awnings in a better color to match our paint scheme and made sure they were good quality sturdy material. That material eliminated much or the wind noise/flapping.
Our reasons why we installed and still have toppers. They keep the uninsulated top of the slides cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. They keep debris off the slides and keep them cleaner so we don't have to clean them. This is what works for us. Hugs, Di
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

downtheroad wrote:
Had trailers with and without...Like them with much better.
Suggestion: get the ones that have the metal wrap protection when rolled up.

X2. Ours are made by Carefree of Colorado...and they are totally encased in aluminum-(when rolled up) They look great , and I have not been bothered by noise in high winds to this point...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
Would never have a unit without them. They all function great "IF" properly installed. Never had any wind issues and if you are ever camping and it snows they are a life saver. It's alot easier to clean them off than the top of the slides
Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
Whenever I see this question, I always say to make sure they are installed in such a way that the fabric will slope down toward the outside of the slide. Many are installed so that the fabric is horizontal when the slide is extended and it will trap quite a bit of water - not only from rain but possibly from the roof A/C depending on location and level.
Roaming Full Timer

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Had trailers with and without...Like them with much better.
Suggestion: get the ones that have the metal wrap protection when rolled up.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

byrdr1
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I had Carefree of Colorado installed on my toyhauler. No issues so far. They are well worth the money, and I wouldn't have a trailer without them.

X2.
yes they can be noisy in high winds. I just spent a week camping in 20-30 mph winds with gust up to 45. They made noise but my slide out tops are as clean as they come new.
randy
PS I made a special effort to get them on all 3 slide outs plus 2nd AC when we bought our camper.

2014 F-350 SRW CC/LWB 4X4 6.7PSD

2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Happy Campin'
Randy
Piedmont area of NC

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had Carefree of Colorado installed on my toyhauler. No issues so far. They are well worth the money, and I wouldn't have a trailer without them.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I installed one on our TT and would do so again. The first thing is it keeps a lot of heat out of the RV. The roof of a slide is so thin that it does little to stop the heat. It also keeps debris from getting on the slide roof and being puled into the trailer or getting stuck in the seal.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
None!

They are a PITA out in the wild west. What is your motive for wanting them?
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed