cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide Out Toppers

Galena
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering why 5th wheels do not have slide out toppers? After having them on our class C and A, I think they are a "must have".
๐Ÿ™‚
19 REPLIES 19

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks, that answers my question about why the Carriage didn't need toppers.

Man, you've had some bad luck with toppers.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

FiverBob
Explorer
Explorer
Had toppers on three of my motorhomes - - - hated them. Never leave your slides out in a windstorm - - lost two in a storm and wrapped one around the motorhome while driving. Last motorhome did not have them and my fiver does not. Noisy. Stuff (like birds and squirrels) get underneath them and try to build nests if you are stopped for a few days. Try getting that out before bringing in the slide. Guy beside me in a fiver on Fundy Bay in Nova Scotia had to leave his slides in while there because of the constant winds. His layout was lousy for living in without slide deployed. Nope - - no toppers for this kid. Some models like the Carriage (as stated) have a flat roof with no lip on the end therefore do not hold debris when the slide comes in.

Bob
2003 Dodge 3500 HO dually 6 speed Laramie, Jordan Controller, RDS aux tank/tool box, Bremen boards, RamAirIII, Jacobs EBrake, Air Safe 25K hitch
Carriage 36' Triple slide Fiver, Onan Gen, Sat, Prosine Inv., MORryd IS and pinbox

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Our starter fiver and the current one have slide toppers - would not be without them. One advantage not mentioned so far is insulation from hot sun. Adding topper dropped the interior temp of our first fiver by 10-15 degrees on a hot sunny day.

Once in a blue moon they will flap in a high wind and snow can be a PIA if you don't get it off right away, but that is minor compared to the benefits.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
fred42 wrote:
fj12ryder,

The roller is on the outer edge of the slideout. It rolls up the canvas as the slideout moves in. Most material that is laying on the canvas will fall over the edge as it rolls up.

Well, that is how it works for most folks, but I had to be a bigshot and get the Carefree SideOut Kover III with the optional cover to protect the fabric. I later found out that that was not for customers where there are trees. The cover creates a "leaf and pine needle motel" they check in, but they don't checkout. So, I still get to travel with a ladder and brush them off before closing.

While it's good to know, I will avoid your style topper, I believe he was refering to a previous comment that said a particular brand doesn't need toppers at all because they somehow automatically clear any debris.

I would be curious also.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder,

The roller is on the outer edge of the slideout. It rolls up the canvas as the slideout moves in. Most material that is laying on the canvas will fall over the edge as it rolls up.

Well, that is how it works for most folks, but I had to be a bigshot and get the Carefree SideOut Kover III with the optional cover to protect the fabric. I later found out that that was not for customers where there are trees. The cover creates a "leaf and pine needle motel" they check in, but they don't checkout. So, I still get to travel with a ladder and brush them off before closing the slides.

2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
How does the slide clean itself as it comes in? I can't wrap my mind around how that works.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
The original Carriage products had their slide designed in away that you didn't need the toppers. I have had to shovel snow off slides with out toppers and sweep off dirt and leaves. The Carriage will clean by itself as it slides in. I guess If I ever change brands I may want the covers. I've heard people complain that they make a lot of noise in the wind.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
You rarely miss what you've never had. Of course that doesn't hold true where money is concerned. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Never had them and never missed them.

chevyman2
Explorer
Explorer
We charge approx $550 per slide topper. That includes parts and labor. (To have one installed).
Tim-DW(Kathy)
12 Chevy Sonic DD, 03 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, 2001 Jayco KIWI
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream-then I am living the dream

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
I got a loaded Elite Suites and skipped the toppers. Dealer told me they get loose and start flapping over time.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Even my relatively cheap travel trailer came with slide-out toppers. An essential item for the heat of Texas IMHO.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not all dealers will rip you off. We had toppers installed on three slides and it was less than $1000 for all three. You just found a lousy dealer.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Short answer, MONEY. Dealers will order their stock without toppers. Then if you want them, they will charge you twice as much or more for them than you would pay the factory to install them.

Our Open range did not have them. We called the biggest dealer in our area to see what it would cost for the four slides. $3800. A few months later we had a leak issue and wanted to take it to the factory to get it fixed. When we dropped it off we asked about adding slide toppers while they had it. Cost us $1800.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500