cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide seals melting or disolving.

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
I just happened the climb the ladder to the roof today. Near the top I happened to look at the rubber (gasket) seal along the top of the 5ver that seals the slide when it slides in. It looks as though it is dissolving or melting. It is very sticky to the touch. Any ideas what is going on? The is on a 2012 Sundance. It is only happening on the door side. That side is in the sun the most, but I don't live in a very hot place. It is not sun rot.
5 REPLIES 5

Duke-44
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, thanks for the replies. I think I will get ahold of the factory to see if I can get a replacement seal. then keep it treated.

big_bird_2
Explorer
Explorer
Me too. Manufacturer gave me replacement seals. I coat them several times a year with seal protectant and keep a generous amount of talcum powder on the seals.
Big Bird 2

2yung2rtire
Explorer
Explorer
Mine did the same on the extreme sun side. It's partially my fault for not keeping them treated but as CO said the OEM seals are junk.Replaced all of mine this year and will keep them treated since the cost with wiper and "D" seal was $6 a foot.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Ya they are junk. All of mine have done it, are doing it again, and I'm not happy.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would put some 303 protectant on the seal. You don't want to have the seal stick to the slide, causing it to tear, when the slide pulls away. I also like to put a little polish (NuFinish) on the slide, where it meets the seal.

You may want to clean the sticky off, before applying the 303.

Jerry