cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slider hitch options for Ram Puck System

tcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I am growing weary trying to figure out which hitch will work with my 2015 Ram 3500 / 6.5 bed with the Ram Puck System.

My heart is sold on the B&W Companion RVK3600 but figure I need to stay with a slider. However the RVK3600 does allow for 6 inches of rearward permanent adjustment. Is this enough to not need a slider ?????

B&W also makes a slider (RVK3400), but I would not be able to utilize the factory installed puck system.

I also like the ISR Series SuperGlide (model 2900) from PullRite. But would need to buy a new picture frame adapter (model 4439) to make this work in the pucks, but this causes me concern on the hitch being too tall.

I’m just not finding a lot of options for a 6.5ft bed with the Ram Puck System without using the Picture Frame 5th Wheel Hitch Mounting Adapter.

I would sure appreciate some guidance from the Ram guys that have already been down this road.
Let's go camping.......

Terry & Eileen
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2015 RAM 3500 4X2 / 6.7 Cummins diesel
Houston, Texas
27 REPLIES 27

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think I am going to like my RVK3270 18k manual slider. Price is right. I put it on a Demco 6099 picture frame as I noted earlier. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
tcamper wrote:
Me Again wrote:
tcamper wrote:
OP’er still here. Reading every reply....and looking forward to reading more....thank you.

Here is my current set-up. New 2016 RV and hitch hopefully by Christmas.

What is the issue of the hitch you already have? If it is weight rating, then the truck is going to be in trouble also. Chris

Hitch is a 16K Valley. New 5er is GVWR 16K. Truck is 3500.

For my comfort level I want an 18K(or better) hitch ….. and really wanted a new hitch that fit the Ram puck system without needing to use the picture frame.

I had to buy the Reese picture frame in order for my current hitch to work with my old RV (until the new RV comes along…hopefully by Christmas)…..and not crazy about it because it is not easy to remove. Like others have said….the puck levers swing inward, so removal of the hitch is required before you can remove the picture frame.

Ever since I saw the Demco picture frame, it got me to thinking. The Reese picture frame would be an easy fix.

The lever arms are 16 3/4" long on the Reese picture frame ,and as you know they pin together in the center. Did a quick measurement we could, and I am going to , shorten up the arms to 8" long , round the corners like they are now. Drill a hole back into them same as before, put them in the locked position ,and drill down thru the frame for the lock pin. Only thing thats changed is having to lock each arm separately , like the Demco.

The arms being 16 3/4" long prevent them from swinging either way as noted in the truck with hitch connected, wheel wells in the road to swing out , and hitch in the road to swing in . Being 8" long they will clear my hitch swinging in . They would have to be about 6" long to clear the wheel wells. I prefer to keep them at 8" for a little bit more leverage when locking . See no reason why this wouldn't work. The only drawback to the Reese picture frame is having to remove separately from the hitch . I use a small electric hoist in my garage to remove, and taking them out in one piece would be nice.

Lot of hitch option's with the picture frame. Andersen hitch would be a great choice with your setup., and won't have to spend a small fortune to do it. 🙂

tcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
tcamper wrote:
OP’er still here. Reading every reply....and looking forward to reading more....thank you.

What is the issue of the hitch you already have? If it is weight rating, then the truck is going to be in trouble also. Chris

Hitch is a 16K Valley. New 5er is GVWR 16K. Truck is 3500.

For my comfort level I want an 18K(or better) hitch ….. and really wanted a new hitch that fit the Ram puck system without needing to use the picture frame.

I had to buy the Reese picture frame in order for my current hitch to work with my old RV (until the new RV comes along…hopefully by Christmas)…..and not crazy about it because it is not easy to remove. Like others have said….the puck levers swing inward, so removal of the hitch is required before you can remove the picture frame.
Let's go camping.......

Terry & Eileen
Houston, Texas

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
tcamper wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
psford wrote:

I don't believe the Demco picture frame was available when I bought the Reese picture frame back in April of 2014. If it was I never heard of it. I believe pullrite , and demco came out later ?

That's correct. PullRite was later in 2014, and Demco was very late 2014/early 2015.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

tcamper
Explorer
Explorer

Let's go camping.......

Terry & Eileen
Houston, Texas

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Pullrite Auto slide with the Ram picture frame adapter. My post on the subject is here http://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28229219/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm
2008 Dodge Dually Mega Cab - Resitol Edition
1999 Jayco Designer 3710

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Ram hitch (Curt 20K) and really like it but I need a slider or, at the very least, the additional inches afforded by the B&W hitch. This winter I'll explore my options and hopefully make a decent trade for something at my local shop.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

psford
Explorer
Explorer
ramgunner wrote:
Me Again wrote:

Your site is missing half of what I did with the RVK3270.

We are only listing items designed to drop into the Ram 5th Wheel / Gooseneck prep group. The RVK3270 isn't made for use with the Ram system (it requires rails) so is not listed.

Any rail-mount hitch will work with the Demco picture frame, which we do have listed since it's made to drop into the Ram system.

I don't believe the Demco picture frame was available when I bought the Reese picture frame back in April of 2014. If it was I never heard of it. I believe pullrite , and demco came out later ?

As noted I like Demco you can remove the hitch ,and frame together. With the Reese you have to remove separately . The Reese can be modified to accomplish the same thing, just haven't got around to it.

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:

We are only listing items designed to drop into the Ram 5th Wheel / Gooseneck prep group. The RVK3270 isn't made for use with the Ram system (it requires rails) so is not listed.

Any rail-mount hitch will work with the Demco picture frame, which we do have listed since it's made to drop into the Ram system.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
ramgunner wrote:
There is a complete list of everything known to exist for the Ram 5th Wheel / Gooseneck Prep Kit at http://www.ramgunner.com/ram5thwheel.htm

There is a set of slider legs that drops right in from CURT, and a number of frames that will work if you really do need a slider hitch.

I could have gotten the CURT at a deeply discounted cost as our son is a wholesaler of the product line. However their 5th wheel hitch production has been all moved to china.

Having used a Canadian made Hijacker for many years I was looking for another quality product.

Chris

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
SkiSmuggs wrote:
Nice, but why not just get the RVK3500 with the puck legs?

Because the release handle would run into the front box and not be able to open the jaws. BTW RVK3600

Chris

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
There is a complete list of everything known to exist for the Ram 5th Wheel / Gooseneck Prep Kit at http://www.ramgunner.com/ram5thwheel.htm

There is a set of slider legs that drops right in from CURT, and a number of frames that will work if you really do need a slider hitch.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Understand where you're coming from Chris... I HAD to use a picture frame adapter back in July of 13' because none of these newer hitches that fit the Ram puck system, weren't available then. (cept the Andersen)...I had my own hitch and wanted to use it. Heck. you could hardly find a picture frame adapter back then..SO, when I cleared the bed, I had to physically remove the 75# picture frame adapter, then break the 20K Reese hitch down to two pieces, and physically remove them....The RVK3600 is so much better of a set up..
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet