cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slides out when not level

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
Due to the crown in the road, when we park on the street in front of the house to load/unload we are 1 to 2 bubbles off level when we put the curb side on a 2x10. Is this too much out of level to put out the slides?

We are getting a new rig, and probably cannot get to the living room without putting the curb side slide out. Am just pondering how to load supplies until we get to our first stop. Slides are rack and pinion.

Unfortunately due to the crown in the street and the slope in the driveway, cannot put camper in the driveway.

Thanks
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW
12 REPLIES 12

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
2hams wrote:
Thanks for the replies. We do put one 2x10 down but that leaves us about 1.5 bubble off level. We'll see if the DH would be willing to do another board or have me put the Lynx levelers on top of it.

We will see what the manufacturer says once we get the new rig. Getting anxious, even though it will sit for a while in the cold.

Get a 2nd board and screw it to the top of the one you already have, leaving about 2-3" of the lower board sticking out to make a step. If one 2-by gets you to 1.5 bubbles off, it stands to reason that 2 of them would get you to 0.5, or thereabouts. I have a crown on my street, but I'll run the tires about half-way up the rounded curb and get pretty close to level. I'm only a single super-slide, but I've never really worried too much about it.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
my keystone says to be level

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. We do put one 2x10 down but that leaves us about 1.5 bubble off level. We'll see if the DH would be willing to do another board or have me put the Lynx levelers on top of it.

We will see what the manufacturer says once we get the new rig. Getting anxious, even though it will sit for a while in the cold.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put some boards down & get closer to level. How much trouble is that?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
Follow the directions of the manufacturer.....

I agree, follow manufacturers recommendations.

I can extend my slides with the trailer out of level and the manufacturer is OK with it.

Others manufacturers advise against it.
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Follow the directions of the manufacturer. Especially if you are still under warrantee. Mine states level and stabilizers down before opening slides. I might put out a small slide if not level but I would not put out the 16 foot livingroom slide. Think about the twist that could put on the frame without the stabilizers supporting the back end.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
Ham ,

I agree ... level at home. Another point to consider , unlevel ...
the interior edge of the slider may be elevated... risk causing
damage or falling and busting your southside. Might want to make
sure you check that out...

Charles
2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just level up at home?

Leveling

(Before I bought an extra set of blocks.)

But, I also have used my slides without the camper being level at restarea stops and whatnot.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

rehless
Explorer
Explorer
We do the same, our is not level, put the slide part way out and load up.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wouldn't be too concerned with the slide

But the fridge.....wouldn't be turning it on while off level.
Off level operation will cause damage due to improper flow.....damage is accumulative
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
You shouldn't have a problem unless the owner manual states the RV must be level when operating the slides. Our 5th wheel is 20 years old and has a super slide out (5 feet deep by 16 feet long), we are unlevel when loading in front of our house. Never has caused a problem.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
When we load in front of our house we just partially open the slide. No reason to open it all the way for access.