cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Small boat in garage question

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone haul a small Jon boat with a trailer, outboard, and folding tongue in the garage?
Boat specs: Lowe 1448t big Jon tiller
Overall length 17ft
Width 76 inches
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt
11 REPLIES 11

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Nice. Back in 99. I had Yamaha 1200R wave runner. Bone stock 70mph on flat water. The last of the infamous 2 stroke crotch rocket PWC!

chinook507
Explorer
Explorer
I haul my jetski inside, but I dont have a partitioned garage. The trailer tongue is all the way up to the galley. Trailer and jetski are about 13'7" long.
2001 Excursion V10
2013 Keystone Cougar
1997 Kawasaki 1100STX Jet Ski
1991 Kawasaki Bayou 300 4X4
1989 Kawasaki Bayou 220
1989 Kawasaki Bayou 220 2X4

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a 14.6ft canoe that I bring on occasion and already racked up. The boat is for when I take the kids camping. Solo trips in divorce life will be the canoe and current rig. A customized Big Jon boat aka hillbilly bass boat is so much more enjoyable and allows me to get to far reaching fishing holes.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I was considering loading the boat hitch first with a winch. The boat and motor are 16ft, and the trailer tongue would extend into the living area aisle.
So far, Work and Play are the only models that may work. Rigged up, the boat, 25hp tiller, and trailer weighs in around 1000lbs.

Bedlam
Most toy haulers have a steep ramp to get in or out. You will need to push the boat up and down this ramp or have a winch to help you keep it under control.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I have considered doing that over the years but almost came to the conclusion that I would have to have an open garage so the boat could be slid in all the way which would block the use of lots of stuff. A 17 ft garage walled off seems large to me.
bumpy

I will go with Bumpyroad it would have to be a non garage model TH, as the largest garage models of are around 14 foot.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen many posts with pictures on here over the years. Someone modified a small Bayliner/trailer to fit in their hauler. Of course it would be a non-garage type.

Another option is to build a cheap dolly instead of a trailer, you could use small wheels that fit under the boat that way since you won't be towing it far.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Bedlam
We sometimes take a 9' paddle boat with us. It is launched off a dolly and either sits flat on the floor or is strapped to a wall when we want more toys with us. You may be better off with a boat rack on your tow vehicle and only haul a dolly and the motor in the toy hauler.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Txsurfer wrote:
I have thought about doing the same at some point. I will prob end up with a RIB (RIDGE INFLATABLE BOAT) and an outboard out some point. Do not really need a trailer and easier to stow/transport.

FTFY....

We do the fully inflatable boat in the basement. no trailer involved.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
I have thought about doing the same at some point. I will prob end up with a RIB ( rigid bottom inflatable ) and an outboard out some point. Do not really need a trailer and easier to stow/transport.
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I have considered doing that over the years but almost came to the conclusion that I would have to have an open garage so the boat could be slid in all the way which would block the use of lots of stuff. A 17 ft garage walled off seems large to me.
bumpy