cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spiders!

CarolineGates
Explorer
Explorer
I happen to like spiders, and I prefer they stay outside.

But around my RV in the park I live in surrounded by heavy gravel I have spiders EVERYWHERE, from the roof to the ground.

I also have big Monterrey Cyprus trees behind my space along with other conifer trees. They drop their needles which land in the spider webs and I have a terrible mess to get rid of.

I have a big container of Ortho Home Defense Max perimeter and indoor insect killer. I would not use it indoors, only outside.

Does anyone know if I spray this around the perimeter of the RV if it will keep the spiders from getting onto the RV? I can't reach down under the RV. I could spray it on the RV but not sure putting that spray on the RV is a good idea. Unfortunately all the written instructions on the container wore off so I can't read it. I just cleaned the RV, it took me four days, but it looks nice. I want to avoid the spider webs and needles since they proved to be the biggest problems.

Any ideas?
12 REPLIES 12

CarolineGates
Explorer
Explorer
Your wolf spider sounds scary. I have two spider catchers (14 yr old Scottie and 10 yr old Lisa, both cats). They also do great with flies as does the terrier. So I don't have much inside the RV.

DesertSpooners
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like spiders in the house. Lately, I've had two encounters with large, hairy wolf spiders running up to me. When children make these claims they are discounted, but it really happened, twice. The first time while sitting in a chair one ran across the floor up to my chair, but the other night one ran out from behind the bathroom sink and ran right up to my hand and immediately ran back behind the sink. Not wanting another surprise, I went to the store to buy bug spray. The directions on the spider spray (about $8.00) said it kills on contact, so I decided to just use my hair spray at home which also kills on contact. I have been running a yard stick all around behind and under the sink to force it out in the open, but I haven't seen it since. Hair spray in hand--I am ready for it.
Still having fun!

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Peppermint oil (15 drops) mixed with a quart of water and sprayed in the areas that they can come in will keep them out. I spray inside and outside around windows, the electric hookup, all my outside storage doors, door, awning arms, and around my tires. We have never really had a major problem with them after I began spraying.

I don't kill them because they do have a purpose, just not in my house or RV!
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

CarolineGates
Explorer
Explorer
We are having a massive attack of spiders here this year, big ones and they love to live in the crannies of RVs. Some years it is more slugs and snails, never know.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Get rid of the spiders and the gnats, mosquitoes and other no-see-ems move in...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
CarolineGates wrote:
Does anyone know if I spray this around the perimeter of the RV if it will keep the spiders from getting onto the RV?

I have long used Hot Shot Scorpion & Spider Killer, but I spray it inside as a deterrent in nooks and crannies where they tend to build webs. My Mom got hooked on it for spraying her garage and kept it spider free and also seemed to annoy mud daubers and kept them out too. It would probably work outside, but you'd probably need to apply more often, especially after rain.
Roaming Full Timer

roadking59
Explorer
Explorer
Get yourself a flame thrower!
Regards,

AJ

2015 FORD F450 SUPER DUTY 6.7
Grand Design Momentum 350M
2012 H-D ROADGLIDE Ultra

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
Spiders move from the trees in the breeze on a string of their web. Treating the ground will give minimum protection. I've used an Ortho spray bottle that attaches to a water hose and spray everything in site, trees, shrubs, ground. After a few days you have seriously killed off a big piece of their population... Repeat as necessary.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is the parameter for a perimeter?
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
I would get the Sevin Dust that attaches to a hose. Then spray that stuff all around your site...get it good and it should take care of those critters.
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you have spiders falling from trees above the camper, all you need to do is spray around each item on your camper that actually touches the ground. for example, spray the ground around your tires about a foot out each direction. Do the same with your stabilizer jacks, everything. No need to spray a parameter around, just a parameter around each object touching the ground.

Not much you can do when they come from "above" though, or where the wind blows their webs to, or what falls from a tree.

sarhvac1
Explorer
Explorer
MOVE!
sarhvac1
08 Forest River Georgetown