cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

springdale 5th wheels

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
I am wanting to make the jump from a TC to a 5th wheel only issue is I need to double tow a 25' total length boat. Wife will only make the jump if the floorplan is a bunk house. I have been searching and the local dealer sells cougar which I can get a great deal on. Only problem is the only bunk house model is 32'.

I was looking at the Keystone website and found they have a Springdale 249FWBHSSR with a listed length of 27.2' which gets me a lot closer to the needed 65' total length.

Does anyone have any insight as to this model of the Springdale in general?

If the frame strong enough to support double towing approx 5k boat/trailer with the proper hitch?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Current: 2017 Winnebago 31K
(Sold): 5th wheel: 2015 Heartland Sundance XLT 245
5 REPLIES 5

Patrick_griffin
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2006 Springdale 249rls and we went from a camper to the short 5th wheel so we could tow our boat behind it. I had a hitch custom fabricated and welded and bolted to the frame. It preformed well and I did not have any issues. Another waterski buddy still has his Springdale and double tows with his trailer every summer. I would just make sure your brakes are working well on both vehicles.

We enjoyed the roominess of the trailer and it served us well. It was not a high end model so there was some repairs and additions that I had to do but it did what I wanted it to do. I say go for it.

Pat

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
Wow that is a great hitch!!!

I assume they put the same axles/frames on all their rigs despite the length and being on the shorter end I was hoping the frame would be stout enough to handle the added vertical tongue weight. I think the added pulling weight should be fine. I might be way off. I think I might email Springdale and ask exactly what they think. I am sure I will get the generic "Nope" answer but might be worth a try. I will post up what I learn.
Current: 2017 Winnebago 31K
(Sold): 5th wheel: 2015 Heartland Sundance XLT 245

twinstick
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2011 model I bought new in may 2011 as my first camper. I wanted to do exactly what you want, double tow a boat. I think my model number was about a 279 or so. It had the door at the rear, 2 rockers in the back, couch, then u dinnette. I liked it a lot. Sure it was not as fancy as my current rig, but i really did like it, and it seemed built well. Only reason I traded it in was to go to a different floorplan.

I built my own hitch for it. I estimate my boat is about 2800-3k lbs. Heres a few pics.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Nice trailer and has served well. I added a 2" receiver but the shop said keep it to 3500 max. I just use it for bicycles. Maybe some steel could be added to the frame.

Can't speak for the frame but the running gear is marginal as built. consider some 4400/5000 pound axles and springs if you are going to hang a boat off the back. I recently replaced my 7 yo springs with 4500 pound models as they had gone flat. Kept the 3500 pound axles.

The newer ones are probably better built than mine.

waykat
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the exact same position you are! I have been in aTC for the past 6 years with 3 kids and we have loved it but literally have outgrown it. We picked up a used 2012 Springdale 249BHSSR last week. My wife loves the space and we like the bunks.compared to what we are coming from it feels huge. But for a 5th wheel it is still small enough and low enough for us to get where we want to go.

The prior owner put a hitch on it and we will tow tandem (motorcycles or boat), which is common in Colorado. With that said, I do plan to have the frame reinforced around the hitch to distribute any additional stress load. I have read here that many manufacturers dont cover warranty issues with the frame if you mount a hitch, but I am out of warranty anyway.

Overall i like the Sringdale so far, but many may think it is on the small side for a fiver. Quality is typical and it does not have all the bells and whistles that many of thelarger ones do. Our first big trip is this week to the CA Redwoods.

I am mourning my TC for the "go anywhere" ability but i knew this day would eventually come.
Wayne, Kathy and the Triplets
2007 Lance 1131
2010 Ford F-350 DRW 6.4L