cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ST Tires ???

ilvtravln
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have LT tires on my fiver, thinking of going back to ST tires, does anyone have a brand they would recommend. Not to keen on Chinese tires. Size is ST 235 85 16.

Thanks
Art
83 REPLIES 83

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
ilvtravln wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Just curious why you would go back to ST tires. Have you had issues with the LT tires you've been using? Personally the only ST tire I would ever buy would be a Sailun.

I have Michelin Ribs, no problems, but the ST tires have a thicker sidewall so that is why I am considering them. Axles are 6K.
Thicker sidewall is absolutely not true. Have you checked and compared them? Don't just drink the Kool Ade. Do a comparison. I have, ST tires are like bicycle tires compared to LTs.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

smithrjd
Explorer
Explorer
Well just basically asked the same sort of question, 7 year old 30K+ Maxxis are done. No issues at all with them. 2011 Jayco Eagle 321RLTS max at 14500#. The two choices I am looking at are the same E range Maxxis or E range Endurance tires. 235/80/16.

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
Anothere vote for the Sailuns ! We have had a set on our camper for 3 years, not a problem, have only had to put air in them twice. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
Another vote for GY Endurance. They've been around long enough for me and their record is excellent regarding blowouts and failures.
The only thing I don't like about them is they are subject to rock mining, where a sharp rock will burrow all the way down to the cords. Most tires wont do this but mine have several places where I can see the silver cords after removing rocks.

I have followed this and many other tire discussions and have a question about this comment and those by others. If the Endurance is so good (stellar) after only 3 years why is this rock mining occuring? As pointed out by Capri Racer the 3rd year of a tires' life is when problems may show up and now an issue has been identified. I don't know about others here but if I found a 3 year old tire with cords showing in the thread area due to rocks I would not want that tire on my equipment until the reason is found. IMO the jury is still out. And Scott, I am not picking on you, just using your words to highlight my thoughts.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Terryallan wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I donโ€™t care what they are called the GY ENDURANCE has a stellar record.

But it is still relatively new. Only been out 2 years or so? Launched Feb 2017.. Not really enough time to have a comparable record. They may well be great tires. Only time will tell.

but for now. Maxxis seems to have the best longevity record.

Two years and eight months. Show me a non road hazard failure.

Cherry on top itโ€™s a US Made tire.

If you read my post. You saw I Didn't say anything bad about them. just said they were to new to have a really good comparison. By your standard. Marathons were good. After all. mine lasted 3 YEARS, AND 2 months before they scattered themselves all over the highway. As were my Tow Masters.. almost THE EXACT same time of service.

after 4 or 5 years we will have a good feel of how good they are. Just not enough time yet.

We are talking the whole market not just a few examples. 2 2/3 years is more than enough time and this is backed up by CapriRacer.

My experience analyzing tire returns for a major tire manufacturer says that it is the summer months that matter and that tire failures peak in the 3rd summer, but you get a good indication after the second summer. That means the Goodyear Endurance has experienced 3 summers with no reported non-road hazard failures.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
ilvtravln wrote:

The thought did cross my mind, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" The Michelin Ribs I have are 9 years old and doing well.
There is one other thing to consider: tire lifespan. I've read several posts from people with ST tires that are replacing them after 3 years and around 20,000 miles. That seems to be the norm for ST tires, and if you read up on the ST tire, they do recommend a life span of 3-4 years and then replace them. ST tires, from what I've seen, generally have a very thin tread compared to LT tires so a shorter lifespan would seem likely.

Just another point in favor of LT tires. I've read of lots of people being unsatisfied with ST tires and moving to LT tires, but very few have gone the other way.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ilvtravln
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
ilvtravln wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Just curious why you would go back to ST tires. Have you had issues with the LT tires you've been using? Personally the only ST tire I would ever buy would be a Sailun.

I have Michelin Ribs, no problems, but the ST tires have a thicker sidewall so that is why I am considering them. Axles are 6K.
I can only rely on what I've seen when comparing ST tires to tires I replaced them with, which at that time were LT tires. The ST tires I took off, Carlisle ST 235/85-16, had such flimsy sidewalls that, with it dismounted from the wheel, you could basically collapse the tire by simply sitting on it.

One of the boasts that you seem to hear is that ST tires have stronger sidewalls, but that hasn't been borne out by what I've seen.

And if you've had good luck with LT tires, why change? You know the old saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I would stick with a known quantity. JMO of course.

The thought did cross my mind, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" The Michelin Ribs I have are 9 years old and doing well.
Art

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I donโ€™t care what they are called the GY ENDURANCE has a stellar record.

But it is still relatively new. Only been out 2 years or so? Launched Feb 2017.. Not really enough time to have a comparable record. They may well be great tires. Only time will tell.

but for now. Maxxis seems to have the best longevity record.

Two years and eight months. Show me a non road hazard failure.

Cherry on top itโ€™s a US Made tire.

If you read my post. You saw I Didn't say anything bad about them. just said they were to new to have a really good comparison. By your standard. Marathons were good. After all. mine lasted 3 YEARS, AND 2 months before they scattered themselves all over the highway. As were my Tow Masters.. almost THE EXACT same time of service.

after 4 or 5 years we will have a good feel of how good they are. Just not enough time yet.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
ilvtravln wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

I can only rely on what I've seen when comparing ST tires to tires I replaced them with, which at that time were LT tires. The ST tires I took off, Carlisle ST 235/85-16, had such flimsy sidewalls that, with it dismounted from the wheel, you could basically collapse the tire by simply sitting on it.

One of the boasts that you seem to hear is that ST tires have stronger sidewalls, but that hasn't been borne out by what I've seen.

And if you've had good luck with LT tires, why change? You know the old saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I would stick with a known quantity. JMO of course.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ilvtravln
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:

Art

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
tomman58 wrote:
Does anyone have a clue how often tires have been discussed on this site????? It has to be over 100.
So what hasn't been discussed many, many times? A brand new subject is very rare. It's why forums tend to languish after a lot of years. Shoot, go to any auto forum, and you'll see the same thing, or any motorcycle forum, or race forum. Any forum that has lasted more than a couple years generally has the same questions asked and answered.

That's one of the nice things about the "Hide" function: you can easily ignore any post you don't want to read. Works a treat.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Another vote for GY Endurance. They've been around long enough for me and their record is excellent regarding blowouts and failures.
The only thing I don't like about them is they are subject to rock mining, where a sharp rock will burrow all the way down to the cords. Most tires wont do this but mine have several places where I can see the silver cords after removing rocks.

Have you contacted GY about the rock issue? Just over two years on mine on boat trailer with no issue like that. In and out of gravel nearly every day in the Summer at boat launches.

I also tow at 70 where possible.

I haven't contacted them.
FWIW, I'm not sure you can see the damage without getting a straight on view of them. I saw it when I took them all off for balancing.
Frankly, I don't want to deal with GY. They cheated me bad when I was a very young man and couldn't afford it. 30+ years later I stopped in to another GY with a nail in my tire and they tried to tell me it wasn't repairable (I knew better) and tried hard to sell me 4 new tires I didn't need. Took it to Les Schwab and they explained how it was well within the area they could repair. I got a couple more years of service out of that set of tires.
So I really have zero faith in GY and while I might get a new set of Endurance from them some day, I'll also look close at other options.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
tomman58 wrote:
Does anyone have a clue how often tires have been discussed on this site????? It has to be over 100.

It's an evolving subject!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
laknox wrote:

Why? We don't even know what FW the OP has. Unless he's got a 15k+ rig, why not stick with a good E rated LT like a Michelin Rib or Bridgestone Duravis?

Lyle

A little searching of his posts shows
"We have an 09 Bighorn 3370" That model has a 14K GVWR. I agree on Sailun's for tires. Run them at 80-85 PSI.

Let's assume the RV has 20% pin that is 11,200# on the 4 tires, even less with a higher pin. So that is 2,800# per tire. WHY go to a "G" rated tire when an "E" with a stellar reputation has MORE than enough capacity in every 16" tire they offer?

When you are on the edge as your "E" is maxed out I can see going to a "G" as I did on our Avion Platinum.