cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

state parks in Texas

JASPERJR
Explorer
Explorer
As stated before... heading to Tucson from Fla.. on I-10... what about the State Parks thru texas........heard they weren't the best....anything good good around fort Stockton?
23 REPLIES 23

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Along I-10, you have Davis Mountains State Park, 50 amp, full hook up with cable TV, South Llano River SP, Balmorhea SP, Palmetto SP, then Stephen F. Austin SP (30 amp full hook up sites).

I don't know where you heard Texas State Parks are no good, but they don't know what they are talking about. A number of then do have sewer hooks up now and more have 50 amp sites than they had in the past.

Ken

TXiceman has really good advice here. I've stayed at all those parks from time to time and they are great. Davis Mountains may be a bit off your route however. Balmorhea SP with their spring fed pool is awesome. enjoy your travels.

Gene
Gene & Robin Somogyi
Proud Parents of an Air Force Fighter Pilot
2015 3500 Chevy CC/Duramax/Allison/4X4
2005 Discover America LS 33.5RLTG
Two (his & her) 2003 SeaDoo GTX 4Tec Supercharged toys
2006 EZ-Go 6Passenger Cart

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking a stay of a couple of nights...see the restored Fort Davis and McDonald Observatory and Star Party. If you are that close you might as well see the sights.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

rhingst
Explorer
Explorer
Davis Mountains SP is at least 40 miles from I-10 so would not be real good for an overnight stay.
2008 Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab Powerstroke SRW
2007 Hitchhiker Discover America 339RSB

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
botts12 wrote:
Unless you purchase an annual pass, each person pays an additional $5.00 per night to camp in Texas State Parks. We spent about a month at various parks. All really nice but we did purchase the annual pass. For a one night stop over it gets expensive without the pass.

All parks enttrance fees are not $5.00 per person(over 12). It varies from park to park. The rest of your info is correct. One can go to the Texas State Park website & find fees for each park.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
From my experience, State Parks in Texas are all nice with spacious sites. Purchase the state park pass...it is worth it and is good for a year from date of purchase. It eliminates the entry fee and provides discounts on camping. Pays for itself after just a few nights.
Escaping the real world in our "home away from home"
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2016 Chevrolet 3500 High Country Duramax Dually

drfife
Explorer
Explorer
Check out these Texas State Park links:

Map of Texas State Parks

Texas State Park list by available utilities
Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

Hvyhauler
Explorer
Explorer
In the late 1990's we camped 2 nights at Lake Arrowhead State Park just outside of Wichita Falls Texas off Interstate 44. The campground was almost empty in October,very reasonable rates back then.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW LB 4x4 CTD QC
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT XPS Ribs
2000 Lance 1130
2 Camping Collies (always ready to go)
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW SLT 4x4 LB QC CTD PullRite SuperGlide
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT Mich. XPS Ribs Duro Max XP4400E Gen.
2000 Lance 1130 Torklifts/SL/Stainless Generac Gen.
2 Rescued Camping Collies (always ready to go)

kroghville
Explorer
Explorer
We hsd friends who stayed at Blanco State park southwest of Austin about 50 miles and loved it.(Blanco TX.)

botts12
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you purchase an annual pass, each person pays an additional $5.00 per night to camp in Texas State Parks. We spent about a month at various parks. All really nice but we did purchase the annual pass. For a one night stop over it gets expensive without the pass.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Along I-10, you have Davis Mountains State Park, 50 amp, full hook up with cable TV, South Llano River SP, Balmorhea SP, Palmetto SP, then Stephen F. Austin SP (30 amp full hook up sites).

I don't know where you heard Texas State Parks are no good, but they don't know what they are talking about. A number of then do have sewer hooks up now and more have 50 amp sites than they had in the past.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

RamTX
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if you are looking for an overnight stop or not, but Stephen F. Austin State Park about 40 miles west of Houston on I10 has full hookups and is a nice park. Also, there is Palmetto State Park about halfway between Houston and San Antonio-don't think that one has full hookups. South Llano River outside Junction is nice-we have stayed there a number of times-water and electricity only there though.
2005 Dodge 2500 CTD ShortBed Quad Cab
08 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5FBHS
Line X
Superglide Hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Balmorhea is a nice park. When the sun sets
The bats will give a good show as they fly out
To hunt insects.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Gearitis
Explorer
Explorer
I camp at a lot of Texas State parks in the spring and late fall due to the heat. Most Texas state parks have water and elec at each sight. Very few of the parks have full hookups. Usually the dump sights are ok. This time of year the bugs will drive you nutsy in the restrooms and showers. If you are just overnighting it, stop at the Ft Stockton RV park on the East side town. It is ok, remember you are already in the desert and there is not much around Ft. Stockton, its west Texas for Gods sake!
2015 F-350 King Ranch
2015 Sabre Silhouette Select 312RKDS

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I think the fishing thing is one of the greatest things for state parks. Too bad that other states can't understand that. I preach it a lot, and hear some of the silliest excuses, all which come back to money-grabbers. They don't want visitors fishing in their states! Most state parks you have to pay more for a water-side campsite, but can't do anything but sit and look.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.