cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Strapping down toys?`

Stevepro172
Explorer
Explorer
I have always tied down my motorcycles in the direction of travel (meaning point straight forward towards TW. Has anyone tied down their bikes sideways?
14 REPLIES 14

Steve_O_Reno
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking folks were talking about the wall. I would not use ANY part of the wall to pull or push against.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I do it all the time. I bought a cheap Harbor Freight wheel chock and mounted it to a piece of plywood with rubber on the bottom, it fits up against the wall and keeps the tire off the wall, then two tiedowns on the front, one around the rear wheel to keep it from bouncing sideways. Works just fine. Used to just put a piece of plywood and a towel up against the wall but like this better, directs the force right against the joint where the wall and floor connect.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

mnichols
Explorer
Explorer
I've tried both ways and like them sideways. I have to use 4 straps on each bike but it just seems to work much better. A friend of mine bought this skateboard rail that fits perfect for the width of his trailer. He straps it down to the tie downs in the floor and then brings the bikes straight in... Works really nice and he picked up the rail on CL for $20.

mr176
Explorer
Explorer
I've tied mine in sideways with no issues as well (dual sport). I put them in facing opposite directions which allows them to be closer and take up even less space.
2021 F450 CC Platinum 4x4 6.7 DRW Hensley TS3
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA
2014 Lance 992

Doughboy12
Explorer
Explorer
Bike Shoes?
MX-BikeShoe
I didn't know so I Googled it...
And YES that would do it IMHO. Anything that takes the suspension OUT of the equation is what I was getting at.

Stevepro172
Explorer
Explorer
Steve O Reno wrote:
I haul mine sideways and use bike shoes I can load 5 bikes by myself in less than 5 minutes. Or 2 bikes and 2 quads.

Exactly my thinking. I will do a test this weekend.

Steve_O_Reno
Explorer
Explorer
I haul mine sideways and use bike shoes I can load 5 bikes by myself in less than 5 minutes. Or 2 bikes and 2 quads.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't believe it would be as much of an issue with dirt bikes since they don't weigh anywhere near as much as a street bike. There would be a lot less weight moving back and forth so IMO, with a dirt bike, you could put them however you want without much of an issue.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Doughboy12
Explorer
Explorer
This situation is the ONLY time I would recommend putting it on a center stand. The box kind that go under the Frame/motor that you use to work on them.
I would NOT tie it down with the suspension in compression...too much force is going to do two things. 1. blow out your seals and 2. come loose from the forces of oscillation.

Stevepro172
Explorer
Explorer
Not worried about the walls and they are dirt bikes so very easily moved sideways but just thought I would ask since it would free up much space to do it that way.

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
It marks up the hauler wall with tire marks.....
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

RetSgt7114
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I tied ours down sideways when I had them on a trailer behind the 5er. Generally speaking you have to secure them better since they will tend to rock side to side if they are loose. Unless I absolutely had to I would not tie them sideways, front to back just works too much better.

Ditto
------------------------------------------------------------------
Gulfstream Yellowstone
USAF Veteran
US Army Veteran
Retired LEO 34 years

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I tied ours down sideways when I had them on a trailer behind the 5er. Generally speaking you have to secure them better since they will tend to rock side to side if they are loose. Unless I absolutely had to I would not tie them sideways, front to back just works too much better.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

tanman32225
Explorer
Explorer
mine is too long to tie sideways but I cannot see why you could not. It might be a little difficult to swing the bike around if its heavy like mine. I cant slide it an inch. I have to point it in.