cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sundance XLT vs, Cougar Lite

Likes_to_tow
Nomad
Nomad
Looking into buying another 5th wheel and trying to stay as much under 30' as possible but all brands in this range are marketed as a "LITE". I'm concerned about quality. What are they leaving out of it to make it a lite???

Cougar uses a cable system to pull the slide back in and this seems strange. What pushes it out? A cable cannot push it can only pull.
The salesman had no clue!! Sundance uses gearing and track system, this seems less problematic to me. Cables will stretch

Can anyone shed some knowledge or personal experience on either of these two models. We came close to buying a Sundance 9 years ago when we bought our slightly used Cruiser. It has held up reasonably well. I realize that all RV's require some maintenance and do not expect 8 years of trouble free use. However I would like some personal stories of owners of either of these models.
13 REPLIES 13

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Sundance 245 XLT, the shortest I could find. The Lite versions tend to have smaller frame (8" vs 10" I-beam). Otherwise the Sundance XLT and the Sundance is built about the same, just a little shorter in length and height, but with solid countertops and all. I also was choosing between the Cougar Lite and Sundance XLT. The Sundance felt better built and better standard options. Good luck with your choice, and all manufacturers will list a different length vs overall length.

Just do you own research as the manufacturer and the dealer will not be at the storage facility when you take it home and find out if it will fit or not
Current: 2017 Winnebago 31K
(Sold): 5th wheel: 2015 Heartland Sundance XLT 245

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2015 Cougar 28SGS Had plenty of problems in the first year but it settled down after that , only couple of minor issues afterwards , the only slide out that gave me grief was one of the non cable ones, it came out of square with the opening. Have you looked at Jayco? they have a 2 yr warranty period, double that of the keystone. Having said that, we put a lot of miles and use on ours every year and it seem to be holding up quite well so far. Its a very user friendly unit for mobile traveling.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

statehoss
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Cougar 28RDB Lite. Main slide is gear. Bedroom slide is cable. Haven't had any issues with either one. From the weight perspective, I can say that the floor seems to flex under your feet at times, so I'd guess they minimized floor thickness and supports. I wouldn't even think of walking on the roof. Bed framing is very light. Decor and cabinetry is quite nice, but simplified to reduce weight. No ceiling fans, etc. Overall, very happy with our unit.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Likes to tow wrote:
Curly2001 wrote:
I have a Sundance XLT RK265. So far so good. Tows well and seems like pretty decent build. They are lighter and probably have less insulation in them compared to a "regular" trailer. I liked the feel of the Heartland better than the Cougar. Tried to buy a Cougar three times and ended up with the Sundance. We are at about 29' and a couple of inches for total length.
I do like the gear drive on the slide better also. No hidden cables to stretch out or try and find.
Good luck with your hunt for what fits you the best.

Curly

The specs on your RK 265 lists it at 28' 5" but you say it's 29-2 so this could be a problem if I cannot trust the specs from the factory in their sales brochures. I have a storage building for my current 5th wheel and it is 31'so I need
one at least two feet shorter so I can add doors. Currently our 5th wheel sticks out too far to add doors.

A lot of times mfrs will list a "length", which is the coach, then the OAL, which is the length from front of the pin box to the rear of the bumper. My Komfort is spec'd at 28'10", but is ~29'3" using a plumb string.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Curly2001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will measure to make sure of total length. Was going on what the salesman told me.
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a 2012? Cougar XLite 28SGS. I remember one of the slides for sure was gear, and I believe the other was as well. We had no trouble with it for the 2 years we had it. I just got tired of banging my head getting out of bed. I immediately replaced the tires with Maxxis and put a wet bolt kit on it.
Sometimes wish I had kept it.
I think the floor may be where they saved some weight but we never could tell. The roof rafters were galvanized steel, no issues with that.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
My Cougar uses leadscrews for the slide. It's an actual 28'-9", with just one slide. They might use something different for a bedroom slide, but we don't have that, so I can't say. And of course, much can change in 6 years.

I think with all the Lite versions, you give up some actual size, particularly in height. Somewhat thinner sheathing on the floor, and I would guess thinner on the roof too. You can definitely feel the flex when you walk on the roof. Countertops are laminate, single pane windows, stuff like that.

But built sufficient IMO. Suits our needs okay. But wouldn't want to fulltime in one.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

tunatundra
Explorer
Explorer
I had the "tooth" drive for 6 years without problems. I now went to a Cougar with cable drive. No problems yet. Don't think I would make a decision just based on type of slide mechanism.
Rusty & Lana
2017 Cougar 333MKS
2016 F250 Diesel

Likes_to_tow
Nomad
Nomad
Curly2001 wrote:
I have a Sundance XLT RK265. So far so good. Tows well and seems like pretty decent build. They are lighter and probably have less insulation in them compared to a "regular" trailer. I liked the feel of the Heartland better than the Cougar. Tried to buy a Cougar three times and ended up with the Sundance. We are at about 29' and a couple of inches for total length.
I do like the gear drive on the slide better also. No hidden cables to stretch out or try and find.

Curly

The specs on your RK 265 lists it at 28' 5" but you say it's 29-2 so this could be a problem if I cannot trust the specs from the factory in their sales brochures. I have a storage building for my current 5th wheel and it is 31'so I need
one at least two feet shorter so I can add doors. Currently our 5th wheel sticks out too far to add doors.

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
Four cables pull it in (fastened to four outside corners) and 4 cables pull it out (fastened to four inside corners). Run the electric motor (with two sprockets) one way it goes out, reverse.. It goes in. Two of my slides have actuators and the closet slide uses cable. Both need maintenance. So take your pick.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Likes_to_tow
Nomad
Nomad
Does anyone know how the cable system on the Cougar works?? What makes it go out?? It is obvious that the cables draw it back in but it must be under spring tension or hydraulic pressure to force the slide out.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Not a fan of slide out cable systems. I would prefer the Sundance over the Cougar
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Curly2001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK