cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

T Mobile

sk734
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone using T Mobile for cell service and using your phone as a hotspot? How well does it work? Thanks for any info.
10 REPLIES 10

NorthwestBound
Explorer
Explorer
Ive had Tmobile for a few years. When i get a chance I will go back to ATT. Tmobile sold all their towers back in 2012 after their merger with ATT was shutdown.

As a truck driver, ive been all over and can tell you that Tmobile is just fine sitting still. But for me, constantly on the move, Tmobile is a pain.

If your on the phone, hands free ofcourse, and your call gets swapped from the tower behind you to the tower in front of you, its all good if that tower in front of you is the same provider that was on the tower behind you. If its a different provider, your call is immediately dropped.

This happens to me 30 times a day. It is so annoying.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using to surf right now... Historically, I've found Tmobile to have the poorest coverage compared to Verizon and AT/T but it really just depends on where you are. My company uses it and the price is great compared to the other two.

sk734
Explorer
Explorer
missourijan wrote:
We switched to T Mobile about 4 years ago when we bought our android smart phones. We've used the hotspot everywhere from CA to IN and it worked well. There are a few places across the country that we couldn't get service but not many. The phones worked but not the hotspot

Do you tether to your phones and use them as a hotspot?
I want to thank everyone for your replies.

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
We switched to T Mobile about 4 years ago when we bought our android smart phones. We've used the hotspot everywhere from CA to IN and it worked well. There are a few places across the country that we couldn't get service but not many. The phones worked but not the hotspot

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
sk734 wrote:
Anyone using T Mobile for cell service and using your phone as a hotspot? How well does it work? Thanks for any info.

It works very well and quite fast. T-Mobile is my company issued phone and around metro Detroit T-Mobile signals are good. I find as my wife and I travel, Verizon Wireless has better coverage outside metro areas. As long as we get a 4G signal, Verizon is also very fast, both are just as zippy as our home internet provided by Comcast.

On T-Mobile I am using a Samsung S5.
On Verizon, a Samsung Note 4.

I don't know how or if phone models or brands offer different levels of WiFi hot-spot performance so my experience is limited to the two phones and services above.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't have TMobile but recently bought a Verizon Hot Spot off ebay. It is a Verizon Jetpack that has been reflashed for 3G service. $5 bucks a month unlimited data. Not contract. We are extremely happy. For surfing the web, email or RV.net 3G is fine. In fact we are sitting in the 5er at the campground using it now.
Here is a link to the thread I found out about it from.

Good luck, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
We have T-Mobile
In two phones & two tablets
They work very well, in urban areas. Semi-rural, not so hot. True rural.... switch to Verizon
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
T-Mobile around us here in VIRGINIA is very spotty... VERIZON is the only carrier I can use here at my house...

Its almost like GREEN ACRES here... Got to climb the telephone pole to make phone calls or pick up the internet...

I was just looking at coverage maps a few days ago as T-mobile has some interesting data deals... Don't think I would be very happy with it especially way off the beaten path we like to camp at...

VERIZON on the other hand is getting more and more expensive to use it seems but it definitely works great for us on our OFF-ROAD camping trips... Even works in GOBER, TX hehe...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Been using tmobile phone hotspot for a couple of years as my primary net access most of the year. It worked great until this spring. I've been having issues staying connected, getting gradually worse. Tech support is working with me on it. They are now thinking it's my phone, so they may give me a free replacement.

Tmobile needs an att card in the deep boonies / national forests, but their fantastic support staff make them very worth the minor inconvenience, IMO.

Are you thinking of getting them, or having troubles with a phone you already use?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

smokedummy
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I have one tablet and one phone on T mobile, it works great for us. It is the ONLY interwebs access we have at home, and of course it travels with us also. We regularly tether a laptop, kindle, Wii, nintendo DS, whatever to the tablet and/or phone, works fine.
2012 Skyline Mountain View Retro 140, 16'.