cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tailgater dish stand

BigT
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tailgater that I really like, but I wish I could come up with a mounting stand that I like. I ordered a tripod stand made for the winegaurd dish, but I returned it because I would not fold up for easy storage. I have seen the ladder mounts, but I want the portability to move the dish away from any trees. That is also the reason I didn't go for the roof mount. We stay in some pretty heavily wooded areas so that option just doesn't appeal to me. I do a little woodworking and I built a dish mount out of wood that I really like on top of the pinbox, but there again we must be parked in the right direction and there needs to be no tree interference. I could just continue to place it on the ground, but I keep thinking there is better way to get it really stable and 12-18 inches off the ground. Anybody have any suggestions?
2012 Hitchhiker Discover America 349 RSB
Bigfoot levelers, Tailgater satellite
2011 Ford F350 PSD, Pullrite Superglide
RDS Toolbox Tank Combo, Garmin GPS & an itch to hit the road
18 REPLIES 18

Durhamcutter
Explorer
Explorer
About a year ago I decided that I needed something to help me with my antenna so I built me a triangle base with three adjustment screws on each point of the triangle I had a welder weld me a pole with a base large enough to attach to the center of the triangle , I had a tech tell me that the most important thing in trying to get reception was that the antenna post had to be at 90deg's, this triangle base has helped me do that and now I can get my tv reception up and running in about 5 min. If I knew how to post a picture on the site I would but every time I try to do it, it doesent seem to work. If you would send me your e-mail I will send you a picture. Good luck, My e-mail is
Jduham6@bellsouth.net.

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
My Tailgater blew over twice in high winds. Once in NM and again in WY. I mounted mine to a 2 x 12 board to provide ballast. It's now rock solid inthe highest winds and the board is a permanent mount. Just pick it up and place it wherever works best.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
http://casitaadventures.smugmug.com/CasitaConfiguration/Ladder-Mount-For-Dish/

This is the very best system I've had and I think I've tried them all. It is both a ladder mount and a ground tripod. Very high quality materials.
2010 Airstream 27FB Classic Limited
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

Our_Place
Explorer
Explorer
I made a plate for the bottom of mine and it clamps to the top of the ladder up on the top of the 5th wheel. It's up out of the way and darn near impossible to steal it.
2008 Silverado 3500HD crew cab 4x4 SRW Duramax Allison 6 speed
2014 Cougar 327 RES "Campy"

bluka43
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Direct TV dish that is mounted on the shorter Winegard tripod with a small circular bubble level glued into the top to the mast. Once in position and level, I make it stable by using an 8 lb. mushroom boat anchor that I hook onto the bottom of the center leg support. For ease of storage I also cut the arm that holds the LNBs about 3" from the base of the dish and installed a stainless steel piano hinge so that the arm and LNBs fold back into the dish. When ready for use, it unfolds back to normal and I secure it with a pin. Works great. I can post photo's if anyone is interested.

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
I got one of the ladder brackets that are made for it and most of the time it works well. The only issue is trees. Even then I have gotten it to work a few times. Just depends on the angle I guess. The bracket is very secure as it locks around the feet and has a hole for a pad lock for good measure. The real downside other than the trees is the price. For what you get it is way over priced but I could not find any other option.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
FWI I have a winegaurd tripod with a regular direct dish on it. Storage is not a problem. I hang it in the top of my front storage with 2 rubber straps.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

BigT
Explorer
Explorer
kennethwooster wrote:
I agree with a couple of other posters. The Winnegard stand works perfect. The 3 legs fit right into the slots on Winnegard stand. Ive never had a wind turn it over.

Thanks Ken. I may have to take another look at the winegaurd stand. If it doesn't work I can always look at yours next year in Colorado.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with a couple of other posters. The Winnegard stand works perfect. The 3 legs fit right into the slots on Winnegard stand. Ive never had a wind turn it over.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

BigT
Explorer
Explorer
grampachet wrote:
I just set mind on the ground with cable securing it to the Jack stand, or on the dining room slide after I shut off valve to prevent slide from closing.
Is there a problem with it sitting on the ground? Only one I have seen is those boy dogs.

I have been using it sitting on the ground for couple of years, but I would like for it to be up off the ground and rock solid stable. I have set it on top of a slide trying to clear trees, etc., and I have seen it sitting on top of a wobbly fold up table and on top of a ladder. It may be just as good on the ground, but I just wish I could get it up off the ground and make it more solid. Just one of things I wish I could improve.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
grampachet wrote:
Only one I have seen is those boy dogs.

Lol...does that make your picture look like you're underwater temporarily? :@
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

grampachet
Explorer
Explorer
I just set mind on the ground with cable securing it to the Jack stand, or on the dining room slide after I shut off valve to prevent slide from closing.
Is there a problem with it sitting on the ground? Only one I have seen is those boy dogs.
2004 F-250 KIngRanch,CC,SB,SRW,4x4,V-10,3.73
2008 Montana 3000RK

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
I use a plastic milk carton. I unscrew the legs on the tailgater and sit it on the milk crate and screw them back on, if your afraid of it tipping over you can use some tent steaks on the carton.
Good Luck

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not what you want to hear, but I usually can get great reception with mine sitting on top on the AC unit on top of the 5er.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"