cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tailgaters toy hauler lower the queen bed

ndg1940
Explorer
Explorer
Have a Keystone tailgater toy hauler. The queen bed pulls down from but I would like to modify it so we did not need to use a ladder to climb in and out of bed.Maybe someone has some ideas or has done this any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you Nikki
5 REPLIES 5

ndg1940
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to you all for your great ideas..at this point I am considering just jumping out of bed and risk a broken bone.

nwvalk
Explorer
Explorer
I was in the same situation and after much thought and research, decided to go with the Happijac bed lift system. I have a 2002 Desert Fox 21SW that came with the four struts and a ledge on each side that the bed rests on when lowered. I just installed it last weekend. I can now lower the bed to normal bed height, and when raised, I have 77" between the bed and floor. The system is a little spendy, but it beats climbing in and out of bed with a ladder. Safer too!
2002 GMC 2500HD/CC/LB/4WD
2007 Raptor 3612DS
2004 TRX400EX
2004 TRX250EX X 3
2007 M109R (Yeah Baby!)

Leonandlisa
Explorer
Explorer
My previous toyhauler was a Tailgator, I did the exact opposite. I raised it 6" so that I could fit my Ranger in without it hitting the roll cage. I removed all hardware, raised it up 6" and reattached everything.

There is no reason that you couldn't do the same thing to lower it, depending on how low you go you it may not swing up high enough to use the space below it.

An additional modification I made is I added 6" longer gas struts so that is still came down a little lower, when I raised it I wasn't able to sit up in the bed, the longer struts allowed me to sit up again.

Hope that helps.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
How high is the bed? Maybe you could make a dresser with drawers, but make it stair-stepped so you can use it for a set of stairs, but under the steps are drawers. Put it along the wall. When bed is "up" and out of the way (if this is the bed that comes down from the ceiling at the rear), you'll have a piece of furniture that looks like a stair-stepped dresser.

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
ndg1940 wrote:
Have a Keystone tailgater toy hauler. The queen bed pulls down from but I would like to modify it so we did not need to use a ladder to climb in and out of bed.Maybe someone has some ideas or has done this any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you Nikki

Where does it pull down from?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000