cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tandem Hauling

flip418
Explorer
Explorer
Any of you out there have tips or tricks for pulling a small 6X10 utility trailer behind a fifth wheel? Im looking at pulling along a small utility trailer with a golf cart and bicycles. I would like to pull a tandem axle utility to help eliminate road walking and keep tracking better behind the fifth wheel. Your experiences?
The Thomas's
2012 Keystone Cougar 328QBS
2004 Ford F-250 PSD
Firestone Air-Rites
21 REPLIES 21

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
LukeNSue wrote:
My suggestion.... don't come to Oregon doing triples...it's illegal! Only ONE trailer allowed, even if it's a 5th wheel.

Why would anybody go to Oregon? ๐Ÿ™‚

Just kidding. Its illegal in many states. I think back when we were doing it, we ruled out California too. We only did it locally and the neighboring states that allowed it.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
LukeNSue wrote:
My suggestion.... don't come to Oregon doing triples...it's illegal! Only ONE trailer allowed, even if it's a 5th wheel.

So is going 5 over the speed limit........
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

LukeNSue
Explorer
Explorer

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
DSteiner51 wrote:
I've heard that backing up doubles was impossible so I decided to try it. I have a backup camera to help but the trailer is so short that it's wheels follow the tracks of the 5th wheel. A short trailer is harder to back up then a longer one but I thot having experience backing up a tractor with a chopper or baler with another wagon behind I should be able to. It was doable... slowly. Now I know if I get in a tight spot it can be done.

Dude! Is that a Ranger? That's awesome! I love it!:C
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard that backing up doubles was impossible so I decided to try it. I have a backup camera to help but the trailer is so short that it's wheels follow the tracks of the 5th wheel. A short trailer is harder to back up then a longer one but I thot having experience backing up a tractor with a chopper or baler with another wagon behind I should be able to. It was doable... slowly. Now I know if I get in a tight spot it can be done.

D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
Specularius wrote:
I have pulled a 5.5 by 10 trailer I bought from Tractor Supply over 1600 miles one trip with a golf cart on board and pulled my 20 foot bass boat once for a 300 mile trip. The small single axle trailer I could not see without a camera unless it was a very tight turn. The boat tracked 3-4 inches inside the fiver tracks (the fiver tracks were closer to the curb than the boat tracks). So far I have not had any issues. When I am pulling two trailers I plan my trip down to where I will get fuel and verify it with Google earth to see anything that may be a problem.

This is exactly what I've always wanted to do when we start snowbirding. Would love to haul my bassboat down south with me. I know it's not legal in New York (what is?) so I'm not sure how to get where I wanna go. I pretty much wrote off the idea, but...........:h
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I watched a couple guys with rigs like in Atom Ant's photo above back into camping spots last summer - I was suitably impressed! They backed into at least a 45ยฐ offset site, unhooked the boat, pulled forward and backed the 5er in alongside the boat.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
We have double-towed since 1993, first with a 19' Bayliner Capri, then a SeaSwirl Striper 1850 WA, a 22' Sea Hunt Escape 220 and then our last boat, a Crestliner SuperHawk 1900. So, that would be 21 seasons so far with zero problems. Except for the first boat, they have all had tandem wheels and surge brakes, but even the first boat presented no problems. However, we have never tried to back up all of them at the same time, I am too much of a chicken to do that.
John A. Lichty

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Atom Ant wrote:
I was actually able to back out of a gas station once. But a tandem axle 23' trailer reacts much slower than a single axle utility trailer. Just watch your turning radius on the small trailer. If the tongue is too short, it can hit the 5er. The long swing on the back really puts a tight turn on the back trailer.

:W

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
I was actually able to back out of a gas station once. But a tandem axle 23' trailer reacts much slower than a single axle utility trailer. Just watch your turning radius on the small trailer. If the tongue is too short, it can hit the 5er. The long swing on the back really puts a tight turn on the back trailer.

2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Okie in Wyoming wrote:

However, some states do not allow double towing, please check with the states you are traveling through so you are aware of their restrictions.
Happy Trails, Okie

Xln't advice.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
crasster wrote:
Backing up is a PAIN doing this.... I've done it one time with the travel trailer we have. We pulled a small utility trailer. I don't know if its legal here, but we just basically went down the road to a local CG. Backing up was horrible. ๐Ÿ™‚

Spend the bucks and get a swivel-wheel platform. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Backing up is a PAIN doing this.... I've done it one time with the travel trailer we have. We pulled a small utility trailer. I don't know if its legal here, but we just basically went down the road to a local CG. Backing up was horrible. ๐Ÿ™‚
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I towed doubles back in the '90s 2500 chevy truck pulling a 26' 5er and a 3400 lb 18' bass boat for over eight years. Just plan ahead and don't turn down dead end streets and don't try and keep up with the faster traffic.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides