cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TH....But Not Carrying Heavy Toys.....Problem?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I like the practicality of a TH, the ability to take different things with you as desires change, built in generator, and the rear ramp door/patio.

I am considering this TH and was wondering if NOT carrying heavy loads in rear will affect TW in a negative way, i.e., to heavy a TW due to little weight in rear from not carrying heavy toys?

2009 Tahoe 284SA

Specs are as follows:

UVW: 7950#
GVWR: 13000#
CCC: 5050#
Hitch: 1300#

Questions:

1. Since I do not plan to carry heavy toys (I'll carry bicycles, chairs, plastic table, EZ up awning, and general camping stuff), what are the effects Positive or negative) of this?

2. What else should be considered regarding weights listed and my tow vehicle (see signature)?

3. Any other things to be considered?

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
8 REPLIES 8

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a TH for 2 years now; I can not tell the difference if I have my
motorcycle (550lbs) loaded or not.

I just returned from a 5,000 mile trip - no difference in handling with the TH
loaded or unloaded.
Gerry

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have plenty of truck payload if you have a heavier TW due to nothing heavy rear of the axles. It's a good thought to consider but with your combination, I'd just make sure your level and you load forward to get enough TW to prevent sway.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Light tongue weight.....sway

Heavy tongue weight....possible rear truck sag.

Your F350 and that TH will be good match regardless items in garage

Enjoy !
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
I do not consider the 'extra' tongue weight to be a problem. Ready to camp minus toys; 1000lb tongue and 5180lb axles. My fresh is above the front axle, moving forward is black, then gray (farthest forward). I cannot tell a difference with 40g of gray, nor can I tell that I have placed 2-3 dirt bikes against the ramp. I do have my front storage passthrough loaded with leveling blocks of wood, jack, grill, hose connections, that add to the tongue weight.

A majority of our trips are without heavy toys (or anything behind the axles).

I don't see having more tongue weight being a problem.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
if NOT carrying heavy loads in rear will affect TW in a negative way

Good question and you should be commended for thinking through this issue. The short answer is 'yes' the tongue weights will be more as a percentage of total weight as most toyhaulers are designed to carry the toys to even out or balance the weights. However, less weight overall typically means less tongue weight even though the front/ rear bias might be a little heavier in front. Have enough truck payload and you should be good to go.

I'll be towing with the truck in my signature....It's an older gas truck, but it is an F-350, with camper package, upgraded hitch receiver, upgraded to 6.0L trans cooler, and the venerable V10!

Factory Truck Tow Specs:

Tow: 10,600# (3.73:1 axle ratio - mine)
12,500# (with 4.30:1 - factory option)

Payload: 2980#
Front GAWR: 4250#
Rear GAWR: 6830#
GCVWR: 20,000#
Truck weight:

Since I'm not carry anything heavy, I should be under my tow capacity with my current rear axle ratio, under my RAWR, and under my payload capacity.

If I later carried heavier items, I could always change out rear gear set to a 4.30:1.
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
if NOT carrying heavy loads in rear will affect TW in a negative way

Good question and you should be commended for thinking through this issue. The short answer is 'yes' the tongue weights will be more as a percentage of total weight as most toyhaulers are designed to carry the toys to even out or balance the weights. However, less weight overall typically means less tongue weight even though the front/ rear bias might be a little heavier in front. Have enough truck payload and you should be good to go.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I’ll get a TH next time and won’t carry heavy toys.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
We Fulltime in a 42.5’ TH and carry a Goldwing. I’ve weighed with and without the bike and the pin weight is not significantly different. Obvously the overall weigh was 1,000 lbs less without the bike. Because of the refueling system, generator, etc, you can expect a TH to be heavier than a comparable length regular 5ver.

Our “garage” turns into my ham radio shack and my wife’s sewing/craft room when the bike is offloaded. Our rig has a sliding glass door between the living area and garage, so the garage becomes another room with its own AC, TV, etc. We love the space for hobbies and as an office. I think you’ll be happy with the options that space gives you as you can customize it to your needs. Good luck.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)