cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Chosen One

Colorado_fiver
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, I am very new to the whole "blogging" thing and even newer to RVing. I have been looking for 5W's for quite some time and have narrowed my selection down to three manufactures and five models due to floor plan, constructability, function and yes looks. The following are not in order of preference and would appreciate any information from those who own or have researched them. Drum role please: Palomino Columbus 320RL or 365RL -- Open Range Residential 398RLS -- Forest River Cardinal 3030RS or 3550RL. Yes, these are fairly large and slightly more than I can afford but will possibly be using "The Chosen One" for months on end the first year due to house construction and then quite often in years thereafter. I am comfortable spending a little more for something that will last for many years and for something I can get a lot of enjoyment out of. Your input, ideas and insight will be greatly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

B_Sjulestad
Explorer II
Explorer II
My sister and brother in law just bought a 2013 cardinal 3450RL and its great looking rig. However she wished it had the bedroom space of our Cedar Creek.
Bob & Dianne
2016 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW D/A
2013 Cedar Creek 36ckts
Emmy,Sassy and Flower our 4 legged kids

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:

Don't know anything about the specific models, but you're off to a good start because you've identified a floorplan/model that appeals to you. Way better than flying blind. You could join the respective brands owners' forums (if they have one) and post your questions as well as seeking input here. Won't cost anything and you'll get some first hand owner feedback. Happy hunting!

Also -

Use the search feature here - with each of your brand choices as the "key word".
Do the same in the archives (threads and posts over 12 months old).

~

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Good question. I have a Columbus 320RS and for the money, you can't beat it. It has a lot of standard features that really appealed to me. 100" wide, welded 6 sided aluminum frame, microwave/convection oven AND a gas oven just to mention a few. I looked at their 365RL, but it's a little too much for my RAM 2500. I suggest checking out the Columbus Facebook page.about 200 people on there who can offer their opinion.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379970242092901/
I also checked out the Open Range, but didn't like the interior colors. It didn't seem up to the level the Columbus is.
As for the Cardinal, a very good rig, but you're going to need a 1 Ton for that one, too. There is a Forest River Owner's Forum that might help you:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

Alley_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless of what you end up choosing, do your homework thoroughly. The internet provides a wealth of info on reliability and quality. I spent many, many months researching and joining brand forums to get the good and bad on candidates on my "short list". We are extremely happy with our final selection, especially after hearing about horror stories on some of the brands we had first considered.
2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T
04.5 GMC Duramax SLT CCLB turbo brake Isspros
B&W Companion, Tekonsha, EFI Live by Rob Coddens, Ride Rite air
5th Airborne

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Colorado fiver wrote:
Hello all, I am very new to the whole "blogging" thing and even newer to RVing. I have been looking for 5W's for quite some time and have narrowed my selection down to three manufactures and five models due to floor plan, constructability, function and yes looks. The following are not in order of preference and would appreciate any information from those who own or have researched them. Drum role please: Palomino Columbus 320RL or 365RL -- Open Range Residential 398RLS -- Forest River Cardinal 3030RS or 3550RL. Yes, these are fairly large and slightly more than I can afford but will possibly be using "The Chosen One" for months on end the first year due to house construction and then quite often in years thereafter. I am comfortable spending a little more for something that will last for many years and for something I can get a lot of enjoyment out of. Your input, ideas and insight will be greatly appreciated.

Don't know anything about the specific models, but you're off to a good start because you've identified a floorplan/model that appeals to you. Way better than flying blind. You could join the respective brands owners' forums (if they have one) and post your questions as well as seeking input here. Won't cost anything and you'll get some first hand owner feedback. Happy hunting!