cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of a new toy hauler

Wizbangdoodle
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have a 2007 Weekend Warrior FTL4005 and we were throwing around the idea of going just a bit smaller. I have done several mods and repairs to this trailer, so I am a bit hesitant to let it go

After 9 years of owning this trailer, can anyone tell me who makes a trailer that doesn't use the absolute cheapest materials on planet earth to build with. Also, the DW insists that the garage be separate from the living area. I insist that it not have a sliding glass door to the garage. Any suggestions?
'17 F450 CCLB Platinum dually
23 REPLIES 23

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 06 40'dune chaser that has been bullet proof. Decided to get a used 20' fun runner for the short and solo weekends.2 seat Maverick just fits and is a breeze to tow. Course after spending a couple days in it I sure miss the comforts of the big one. Working good for the time being.
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
Chenowth 4-seat 3.5 honda
15 maverick xds
Beautiful wife that's much nicer than me:B

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Wizbangdoodle wrote:
fly-boy wrote:
We looked at both those this past Spring and were not impressed. They have some lipstick but not much else. Think of them as a slightly nicer Raptor. Nothing to write home about.

We are ready to do something new but have not seen anything worth pulling the trigger on...

This is kind of the boat we find ourselves in. Anything we've seen does not necessarily impress. While they look really nice inside, It's what's underneath that counts. At this point, the upgrades I've done to my trailer make it better than these new units, IMO.

Most use the cheapest parts possible and spit them out the door at an alarming rate. You might look at the new Weekend Warrior as they take time building them with no quota, I'm sure most of the parts they use are common through out the industry but it appeared to me they took some pride in their assembly process producing a better quality RV. I've been through their factory 4-5 times and was impressed with the cleanliness of their facility. They have 3-4 5th wheel hauler floor plans. DRV is another one I liked but they are pretty pricy and not smaller than what you have.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Wizbangdoodle wrote:
When I tie down my bikes, I usually do it to the front wall. Just easier to load and store that way. In my current rig, I reinforced the walls with diamond plate about 3' up. Sliding glass doors make it difficult to do that.

Gotcha. I don't have any issues tying mine down but I use Harbor Freight wheel chocks.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

Wizbangdoodle
Explorer
Explorer
When I tie down my bikes, I usually do it to the front wall. Just easier to load and store that way. In my current rig, I reinforced the walls with diamond plate about 3' up. Sliding glass doors make it difficult to do that.

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Curious why you don't want a sliding glass door?
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

Wizbangdoodle
Explorer
Explorer
fly-boy wrote:
We looked at both those this past Spring and were not impressed. They have some lipstick but not much else. Think of them as a slightly nicer Raptor. Nothing to write home about.

We are ready to do something new but have not seen anything worth pulling the trigger on...

This is kind of the boat we find ourselves in. Anything we've seen does not necessarily impress. While they look really nice inside, It's what's underneath that counts. At this point, the upgrades I've done to my trailer make it better than these new units, IMO.

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer

2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

Wizbangdoodle
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. Those look very nice inside.

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Several of the Grand Design Momentum and Momentum M-Class models meet those criteria
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat