cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thoughts on this water pump problem?

GL
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder if anyone can help me out on this. I have a 2007 Jayco Recon ZX. Yesterday, my water pump started running continuously. There are no leaks anywhere, so from what I read I figured it was the pressure switch on the pump. So, I just turned the pump off and hooked up to city water last night. This morning, my water tanks were completely full (and overflowing).
Normally, I can’t fill the tanks with the city water connection ( it’s a gravity fill), so obviously something’s not right. Seems like I have a check valve somewhere that’s gone out? And I guess the pump was pumping water…I don’t know, back into the tanks or something.
Anybody have any experience with a problem like this? Not sure if it could be the pump itself, or some check valve somewhere.

Any ideas are appreciated!
2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 4x4 D/A (LLY) Dually Crew Cab
2007 Jayco Recon F36V
11 REPLIES 11

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
BobWanderer wrote:
If your water is not very good, put a filter in as well, Our city water is pretty bad, so I put a small screen in the intake side.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/shurflo-swivel-nut-strainer-with-12-pipe-inlet/49171

I agree, we have a whole hauler filter system, even then we dont drink the water. I have to replace the cartridge every year.....
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

BobWanderer
Explorer
Explorer
GL wrote:
mapguy wrote:
buying parts for a typical OEM Surflo pump doesn't make much sense when a new 3 GPM / 55 PSI unit is about $80-85 delivered.

SHURFLO 4008 Revolution Pump

I agree, I just ordered that exact pump from Amazon, $69.89, free shipping. Can't beat it.

Bob, I also ordered that strainer as well, good suggestion! 🙂

Just got back this morning from 3 days at the racetrack, heading out to take the family camping for 4 days tomorrow. Even with the frequent maintenance and repairs, I love having this RV, I have to say!

Great attitude about camping and some maintenance.
One of our camping groups has had many failures over the years, somehow their weekend gets saved, no one is going home because of an RV issue.
2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 DMAX CC
2004 Thor Wanderer Wagon 247WTB
2006 TE450 Husky
2007 Rhino Sport Edition

GL
Explorer
Explorer
mapguy wrote:
buying parts for a typical OEM Surflo pump doesn't make much sense when a new 3 GPM / 55 PSI unit is about $80-85 delivered.

I agree, I just ordered that exact pump from Amazon, $69.89, free shipping. Can't beat it.

Bob, I also ordered that strainer as well, good suggestion! 🙂

Just got back this morning from 3 days at the racetrack, heading out to take the family camping for 4 days tomorrow. Even with the frequent maintenance and repairs, I love having this RV, I have to say!
2007 Jayco Recon F36V

BobWanderer
Explorer
Explorer
If your water is not very good, put a filter in as well, Our city water is pretty bad, so I put a small screen in the intake side.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/shurflo-swivel-nut-strainer-with-12-pipe-inlet/49171
2006 TE450 Husky
2007 Rhino Sport Edition

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer

dfm
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Just went through the same problem.. Check valve in the pump failed... New pump and all is well.
2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2012 Ram3500 Laramie Longhorn/Cummins
1 DW 1 Furperson

reasley
Explorer
Explorer
high desert wrote:
Yup, sounds like the check valve in the pump is bad.

More likely it a small piece of debris holding one of the valves open slightly. If you're up for it pull the front off of the pump and clean under the valves or just buy a new pump.

high_desert
Explorer
Explorer
GL wrote:
high desert wrote:

Thanks. Any idea if that is inside the pump, and if it's repairable or time to just replace the pump?

I'm sure it depends on the model of pump but I'm just wondering what is typical.

There are repair parts available at most rv supply stores. If your pump is getting old, you may want to just replace the pump.

06 Silverado 3500 CC DRW 4x4 LT3 D/A
09 Fuzion 393 Touring Edition
Banks SpeedBrake & Economind Power Pack tuner
TrailerSaver Air Ride hitch (TS3)
BrakeSmart
08 Polaris Outlaw 525 KTM IRS
08 Honda TRX 400 EX
08 Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4
Honda TRX 250 EX

GL
Explorer
Explorer
high desert wrote:

Thanks. Any idea if that is inside the pump, and if it's repairable or time to just replace the pump?

I'm sure it depends on the model of pump but I'm just wondering what is typical.
2007 Jayco Recon F36V

BobWanderer
Explorer
Explorer
high desert wrote:

YEP !!
2006 TE450 Husky
2007 Rhino Sport Edition

high_desert
Explorer
Explorer

06 Silverado 3500 CC DRW 4x4 LT3 D/A
09 Fuzion 393 Touring Edition
Banks SpeedBrake & Economind Power Pack tuner
TrailerSaver Air Ride hitch (TS3)
BrakeSmart
08 Polaris Outlaw 525 KTM IRS
08 Honda TRX 400 EX
08 Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4
Honda TRX 250 EX