Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Time for a new roof

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Folks,
On a recent trip, my wife and I found a significant hole in our roof. We think it was caused by a vendor who installed AC units for us. The hole looks like they gouged the roof with a fork lift (which is what they use to raise the AC unit).

So, now we are filing a claim and getting the roof replaced. We will also research any water damage, etc. that was done before I made the patch.

My question is this. With the new roof going on, have any of you checked out the RhinoLiner product called Eco Coat? I am curious to hear some feedback.

Also, if you have opinions on top quality roof replacements, I would love to hear that also.

Thanks so much!
2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)
23 REPLIES 23

redhooker
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 friends with the rhino roof. It is a great product, with one big caveat. The roof is not field repairable. If any damage occurs the coach has to be brought in to patch. We live just an hour away from the shop so not a long trip for us but for others and those full time on the road it can be a huge inconvenience. One tree scrape, vent replacement, or any other item replaced on roof and you need to schedule an immediate trip to their shop.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
JeffPhillips wrote:
I had a RV FlexArmor roof put on a couple weeks ago and will say it looks good.

I bet. They do look nice, not to mention the being worry free now.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
tomthyme wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
I got word back from RVFlexArmor - for a 35' RV, it would be around 130 and for a 40' it would be around 150 lbs.

For the RV Armor product - it's thinner and thus would be around 80 lbs per their website.

Both are lifetime warranty. Seems that it would make sense to do either one that you prefer instead of replacing the roof with another TPM type of roof.

Thanks so much for checking this out. I appreciate it!

You're welcome.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

JeffPhillips
Explorer
Explorer
I had a RV FlexArmor roof put on a couple weeks ago and will say it looks good.

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
I got word back from RVFlexArmor - for a 35' RV, it would be around 130 and for a 40' it would be around 150 lbs.

For the RV Armor product - it's thinner and thus would be around 80 lbs per their website.

Both are lifetime warranty. Seems that it would make sense to do either one that you prefer instead of replacing the roof with another TPM type of roof.

Thanks so much for checking this out. I appreciate it!
2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer

RvNewbieFl
Explorer
Explorer
I re-coated the entire rv roof myself... Its a 36ft travel trailer... I used "Henry" name brand available at home depot... they have multiple different Henery types available depending on price... so depending on budget their is lots of options... it worked great for me... I did have to do multiple coats but the end result looks fantastic and is 100%
Sealed... I might have only had to 1 coat if I had used more of the product the 1st time... think thick... not just paintbrush roller...

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Seems like a lot to me. That's 150 lbs you have to account for, but that's just me.

It seems to me that if you are that close to the limits on your RV as you are indicating in your posts, then it might be time to think about upgrading the suspension and wheels/tires.
I know on my trailer, if I liked it and wanted to keep it (which I do) then I would put the new roof on and find some way to deal with the added 150lbs.
Barney

I may sound like we are, but we are not. I'm the weight police in our house. I know that you have to pay attention to weights, some don't and should. Everything that is added to our rig is weighed.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
ReneeG wrote:
Seems like a lot to me. That's 150 lbs you have to account for, but that's just me.

It seems to me that if you are that close to the limits on your RV as you are indicating in your posts, then it might be time to think about upgrading the suspension and wheels/tires.
I know on my trailer, if I liked it and wanted to keep it (which I do) then I would put the new roof on and find some way to deal with the added 150lbs.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
racer4 wrote:
RVroof.com says "RV FlexArmor(R) roofs are not heavy. On a forty foot RV the approximate weight is 150 pounds."

link
Hopefully, there's an old RV Tech guy out there that can learn some new tricks!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

racer4
Explorer
Explorer
RVroof.com says "RV FlexArmor(R) roofs are not heavy. On a forty foot RV the approximate weight is 150 pounds."

link
Chris and Pat
2023 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, dually, Auto Flex Rear Air Ride Suspension
2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I just contacted a person who I know had this done to their FW. He thought it was around 150 lbs, but gave me the email to FlexArmor to confirm.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
I talked to our RV tech about Flex Armor. He said it's good, but it's very heavy. I don't know about you, but I'm the weight police in our house and that would cause me concern. We'd have to reduce our cargo and/or change our suspension, possible tires too, to handle the extra weight.
I'd talk to Flex Armor about how heavy it is instead of some tech who will bad mouth anything that he's not going to be installing.

You don't know my RV tech. He's an expert in his field. Do what you want. We go with his advice.

More importantly, for those who have had it done, exactly how much weight does it add. The installer will know. Thanks!

I wish I could give you an exact (or, even approx) weight....but canโ€™t. My thought,my 5er weighs right at 20 K pounds....whatโ€™s a few more, for a superior roof!

You're right. Thank you for the information. For us, we would have to know the exact weight to ensure we are not over our load limits.