cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Titan vs. Kodiak?

Poppy_s_5th_Whe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning to upgrade my drum brakes to an electric/hydraulic disc brake setup.

Has anyone done the research on which setup seems best or are they on par with each other?

Thanks
Paul "Poppy" Cervone
2016 GMC Summit White Denali 3500HD SRW CC/SB
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
17 REPLIES 17

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Straight from the etrailer.com website:

Availability of Disc Brake Pads for a Kodiak 250 Caliper on a Double Tree Fifth Wheel

Question:

I have a Double tree elite suite 5th wheel travel trailer with kodiak disc brakes. The caliper is marked Kodiak 250. What are the right ceramic pads for this caliper. The pads I took off are marked Kodiak D215. My trailer has 8,000 lb. axles.

asked by: Donald P

Expert Reply:

The disc brake pads that we have for the Kodiak caliper that is marked 250 is the Kodiak Ceramic Brake Pads, part # K250CP, that you have referenced. These pads are for use on calipers that are rated for 7,000 lbs to 8,000 lbs.

The D215 number is the part number that is on the automotive brake pads that can be used in the Kodiak calipers. It can use the same disc brake pads as used on the front axle of the early 1980s and early 1990s GM FWD model vehicles.

expert reply by: Jeff D

SOURCE

The fact that the Kodiak 7K/8K disc brakes use standard GM pads from, say, a 1991 Chevy Malibu, Olds Cutlass or Buick Century means that pad availability is as close as your local auto parts store. Many (if not most) will offer organic, semi-metallic and ceramic pad options for this GM fitment.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

klassic
Explorer
Explorer
Carl n Susan wrote:
TheAmRheins wrote:
I like the Kodiak brakes because they use GM brake pads that I can get at any auto parts store.

I believe you have got that reversed. Titan uses standard GM pads and Kodiak use a proprietary pad. I just today installed new GM pads on my buddy's Titan system.

I was about to make my decision based on ease of finding brake pads. Now there is confusion??
klassic
2016 Jayco North Point 341RLTS
2017 F350 Platinum
Reese Signature Series 18K slider
520watts solar

Leonandlisa
Explorer
Explorer
I put the Titan system on my trailer, I am happy with them so far.

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
TheAmRheins wrote:
I like the Kodiak brakes because they use GM brake pads that I can get at any auto parts store.

I believe you have got that reversed. Titan uses standard GM pads and Kodiak use a proprietary pad. I just today installed new GM pads on my buddy's Titan system.
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Poppy's 5th Wheel wrote:
Thanks for the response guys. Looks like a lot of folks running the Kodiak brakes but no feedback on the Titan brakes. They do have a bigger presence in the boating community it seems so maybe there aren't that many in 5th wheels.

I have almost no room in my front compartment so placement of any actuator will be a challenge in there.

I have the Titan system and installed the pump in the left front side compartment not in the front storage.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

TheAmRheins
Explorer
Explorer
Ken & Kathy
Ruben(the cat)& Tiadora (nother cat)
2003 Chev 3500 D/A Dually
2009 Landmark Augusta

texanrvr
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Titan representative at a rally and their products look good. I am considering putting a set on my Landmark.
Jay-Driver
Stella-Director of Operations and Navigator
Cassie-Schnauzer
'11 Heartland Landmark
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW
SLT

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
Klassic, yes my neighbour and I installed them. The only thing with the brake lines is you have to install aluminum angle (1" x 1" x 1/8") across the frame to support them. We used 3 angles and mounted them with the same screws that hold the belly wrap.

klassic
Explorer
Explorer
LOFAT36 wrote:
klassic wrote:
Lofat, did you get your parts in Canada or the US?

I ordered all parts from etrailer in Missouri and they delivered it freight included to Oroville, Washington which is only 40 minutes or so from where I live. Total for everything was just under $1600 U.S. By the time I paid the PST, GST & exchange it came to about $2500 CDN. Mind you that was last July before our dollar went south.

I was quoted the same for all Titan components from stopyourtrailer.com
Installed yourself?
Looks fairly basic, except for the lines.
klassic
2017 F350 Platinum
520watts solar

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
klassic wrote:

I ordered all parts from etrailer in Missouri and they delivered it freight included to Oroville, Washington which is only 40 minutes or so from where I live. Total for everything was just under $1600 U.S. By the time I paid the PST, GST & exchange it came to about $2500 CDN. Mind you that was last July before our dollar went south.

Poppy_s_5th_Whe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the response guys. Looks like a lot of folks running the Kodiak brakes but no feedback on the Titan brakes. They do have a bigger presence in the boating community it seems so maybe there aren't that many in 5th wheels.

I have almost no room in my front compartment so placement of any actuator will be a challenge in there.
Paul "Poppy" Cervone
2016 GMC Summit White Denali 3500HD SRW CC/SB
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS

klassic
Explorer
Explorer
klassic
2017 F350 Platinum
520watts solar

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
Actually my Titan actuator is quite compact and I mounted it in the front compartment. No problem.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Kodiak system with Carlisle actuator and it is a nice compact unit and works great for us. I understand the Titan is a little more robust of an actuator (larger piston, etc), but requires some more room to install. I've seen them on the side of the frame.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed