Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To Fifth wheel from Class A with toad

Don_A_L
Explorer
Explorer
Hi

We have a 2008 HR class A diesel and pull a car. Have had repair after repair, the worst of which is the breaking of slide cables. Body count at 8. The MH was purchased new 2010 and has 18K. My question for all you fivers is. Are fifth wheels easy to use for weekend trips, 1 or 2 week vacations with multiple stops, sometimes just over night?
We are not yet retired, two more years, but we will not full time after we do retire. Just winter south for a few months. We like fifth wheels and considered one before the class A, but I have no other need for 3500 series diesel PU crew cab, we have 4 dogs.

Thanks
Don
19 REPLIES 19

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
We had a coach n' toad too,on a family trip to Marten River as I was going down the hill that goes into North Bay the brakes suddenly felt mushy,i was able to stop and went to the nearest Canadian Tire store only to be told they don't work on motorhomes,that piece of junk turned into a fiver and a Dodge 3500 right quick!!! As far as how convenient a fifth wheel set-up is I can park,unhook,level and extend my slides in about 15 minutes or so without breaking a sweat and that's without a auto-levelling system too(my next big purchase)and there is a definite learning curve but after a bit it becomes second nature. In my opinion there is a real difference in costs,you reduce the need for maintaining a second vehicle and oil changes and such are easier to get done. If you do go to the dark side with the rest of us be serious about your tow vehicle,i would recommend a 3500 diesel dually with a 8' box,it's a bit hard to park at the walmart but I always park at the back to avoid getting door dinged by idiots but with the right truck you'll be very pleasantly surprised by the ride,my coach made me feel like one of those oarsman chained to a paddle,after6 hours i'm toast,with my rig I can go all day,it tracks like its on rails and that 6.7L Cummins rolls down the road with authority and my exhaust brake makes easy work of the backside of those smokey mountains!

Your on the right track!

Red Green:
They say necessity is the
mother of invention,
don't know who
the father is,
probably remorse.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

jf831024
Explorer
Explorer
Not having any experience with those types of units all I can go by is my fiver....simply put...love it!!

Easy hook-up & setup and following your camping description that is what we do.

I'm sure there are +/- for everything, just find that we like our current set-up.
2011 Fuzion Touring Edition 3
2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax Diesel

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
the biggest downside I see with a 5er of any size, is that you need a monster TV which I wouldn't want to drive around cities or narrow forest roads, etc. I much preferred a MH with a small Toad for those excursions.
Just because he got a lemon with problems doesn't mean everybody did.
bumpy

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crew cab trucks can sit three adults comfortably in the back. Unless your dogs are large breed there should be no problem for them back there. You will find that, depending on thsmlength of fiver your considering, you will probably have more living space with a fiver. Down side? Other than bathroom breaks while moving I see none.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, Don! You have convinced me to NEVER give into my fleeting desire to have a motor coach! Watching and talking to others at our snowbird park the same story comes up again and again. They also have to buy their propane(if they have that for heat and cooking) at really high prices from the truck that comes to the park.

Regarding 3500 series diesel PU, they have become very refined and great daily drives now.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021