Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a TH / Truck choice

lmcracing
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!

I have some questions about towing these large toy haulers and truck choice. The TH category seems to have gotten super heavy and jumped to crazy lengths so I am trying to do my homework before purchasing. I see the towing topic alot on older threads but since my truck is newer I will ask it again and hopefully get some feedback.

This is my first post and first RV/TH purchase so forgive my ignorance on the topic, but it is also the reason I am here.

I am looking to purchase a new/newer toy hauler 5th wheel this year, my truck is a 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Laramie 4x4 with the Cummins and an Auto. The dodge site says I can tow 17100 but I wanted to get input from others before jumping into something that size.

I am trying to keep the weight down due to the SRWs but I am also trying to get something with garage space for my toys (14'+). I attended the camping/RV show last week and found the new Carbon 387 which seemed to fit the bill and is much lighter than the competition (13287 dry weight and 19000 GVWR). I am not sure that I would ever reach that GVWR, not sure how I would.. My guess would be 15-16,000 loaded. Is this something I can safely do?? I know those weights are within my limits, but want input from those who have been there.

My truck is my daily driver and a dually is not a preferred option for my daily activities and parking restrictions. I do plan to add the Firestone airbags which will add some stability I assume but doesn't replace the stability of 4 rear tires... Adding another vehicle purchase also greatly reduces the wife approval factor.. haha!

Obviously safety is my paramount concern I am certain I will get some various opinions but I would rather ask than be "that guy" because the safety of others is also important to me. The only input thus far is from my original truck sales guy and salesmen at the RV dealer which all say "Oh yeah! That truck can do that easy!"
51 REPLIES 51

lmcracing
Explorer
Explorer
So, would upgrading to the 1 ton truck in a SRW make any difference? I dont see much change in the ratings?

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
About your only option to keep weight reasonable with 14+ ft of cargo is to NOT purchase a separate garage model but a combined garage/living. My 5er weighs 9Klbs dry and has 16.5ft of cargo space a small slideout in living area and tows beautifully with my 3/4 ton Duramax. I wanted nothing to do with pulling a land yacht so didn't even bother looking at separate garage models.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
The TH category seems to have gotten super heavy and jumped to crazy lengths so I am trying to do my homework before purchasing. I see the towing topic alot on older threads but since my truck is newer I will ask it again and hopefully get some feedback.

Unlike other fifth wheels, toyhaulers are made to carry the weight in the rear and still be towable so they are balanced with a heavier pin weight percentage than what a normal fifth wheel would be when empty for the same gvwr. A 2500 is not the answer for the toyhaulers you are looking at not so much because of the towing capacity but the pin weight issue. It becomes an interesting trade off between pin weight and total weight of the coach; ie removing the toys and lessening the total coach's weight does not automatically reduce pin weight. You are probably looking at a one ton and better a dually.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

lmcracing
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input, I appreciate all the responses and info.

I work in a an area where parking is an issue, might have to suck it up or buy another vehicle it sounds like. I am having a hell of a time finding a TH with a 14' garage that is any lighter.

leechristianson
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I've found more and more dealers will not sell a trailer to anyone who has a tow vehicle not rated for the max GVW of the trailer.. Ergo, if your truck is rated for 17,100 but the GVW of the trailer is 19K#, you're either going to be refused or, if they do sell you the trailer, you can get yourself in biggie trouble with the law IF you ever have any kind of accident while towing..

JMHO, but I'd urge you to stay within limits of the vehicle when you search for a toy hauler..

I just traded my '11 F-350 for a newly ordered '16 F-350 PSD DRW with the max tow package. It's rated by the factory to tow up to 26,500#. The hitch I switched over from the other truck is a Reese Elite rated at 25K#. Part of the reason for the new truck is that the toy hauler I want to get soon is a DRV Fullhouse that has a GVW of up to 24K#. My other truck was rated to pull 22.5K# and that wasn't gonna do it..

Rule of thumb - you can NEVER have too much truck, but you sure can have too little; and I see examples of that in many, many campgrounds.. Personally, I'd never take that chance..

FWIW.
2012 Keystone Raptor 365LEV
2011 F350 DRW, CC, LB, PDS w/AT, Lariat pkg w/moonroof, tow/camper pakg and Ford 5th wheel 25K Reese Signature hitch option.
2007 HD Super Glide, bright red
2009 HD Ultra Classic red/gold

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
With a dry pin weight of 3587 lbs., I would either look for a larger truck or smaller toy hauler. That's a big trailer.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some thoughts on the questions you asked...

http://www.momentumgunner.com/towing_notes.html
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)