cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing Cyclone 4100 King

Boudreaux
Explorer
Explorer
I’m picking up my Cyclone 4100 King Friday. 2 of my buddies told me I will not have any problem pulling it. I have a 2011 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel. A guy I work with pulls his 40’ Raptor with his 2007 Chevy 2500 with no problem. I will be pulling in Louisiana and may do the Disney World thing I’m sure. Did I over load my truc for my first camper?
65 REPLIES 65

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
And, in the 3.73 and 4.10 rear end DRW, the gear goes from 11.5 to 11.8", with bigger cover and finned. So, there is Quite a difference between 2500, and the top rated 3500's. Pre '13, the 2500 and 3500 were near identical. Not now! RAM really upped the ante with the 3500's!

rayford118
Explorer
Explorer
ford and gm are still pretty identical between 2500 and 3500 but ram has started to differentiate more between the 2 models. One reason their 3500 SRW is rated soooo much higher in payload that the 2500
2013 F350 Platinum
2014 Cyclone 4100 King

gpshemi
Explorer
Explorer
rayford118 wrote:
gpshemi wrote:
There's no difference in axles in a RAM either. It's the same axle. It's tire capacity.

I'm with taken...I'm pretty thrilled with my setup, but I'm not pure stock either.

actually the rams do have a different axle. the 2500s are getting bumped up for 2014 to a bigger axle but the 3500 is still a little bit bigger. cant remember the exact sizes but just read it on picktrucks.com. 2500s also are getting the better frame and front end like the 3500s.

Actually that's a good point. The new HD RAMs can have a different axle combination. I was assuming they didn't have the new one...
GPSHEMI

06' 3500 Dodge Ram Megacab 4x4 w/ bombed 5.9L
18K Pullrite SuperGlide w/super rails
2010 Heartland Cyclone 3612

rayford118
Explorer
Explorer
We just picked up our 4100 King yesterday and finally got to pull something with my F350. F350 pulled it fine and man what a difference pulling a FW compared to a BP. BP was swaying when semis would pass but not so with the FW. Only got about 8.5mpgs towing though.
2013 F350 Platinum
2014 Cyclone 4100 King

rayford118
Explorer
Explorer
gpshemi wrote:
There's no difference in axles in a RAM either. It's the same axle. It's tire capacity.

I'm with taken...I'm pretty thrilled with my setup, but I'm not pure stock either.

actually the rams do have a different axle. the 2500s are getting bumped up for 2014 to a bigger axle but the 3500 is still a little bit bigger. cant remember the exact sizes but just read it on picktrucks.com. 2500s also are getting the better frame and front end like the 3500s.
2013 F350 Platinum
2014 Cyclone 4100 King

csdavis62
Explorer
Explorer
I made my first trip last weekend. About 250 miles round trip. I went through Baton Rouge had to go over the Mississippi River bridge. I could have pass people up if I wanted. The truck is amazing! I also upgrade my hitch since the dealer put me a 16k hitch for a 18k trailer. I went with the B&W companion turnover ball 5th wheel hitch 20k. I could not tell I had a camper back there even taking off and stopping. Now I feel safe pulling. Only thing now is those trailer tires.

We have since pulled our Cyclone 4100 from Knoxville to Nashville TN once and Ashville NC twice and I continue to be impressed with the performance of the 2013 3500 RAM DRW. Knoxville east to NC you have to run I-40 through the mountains and there is about an 18 mile stretch where trucks are limited to the right lane and 50 mph and the truck handles is beautifully. I can set he cruise control and it maintains +/- 2 mph with little drama. Cannot speak to SRW vs DRW as I only have driven the latter. Anyway that is my experience and 2 cents.

Scott

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
crazybanshee wrote:
Our 4012 Cyclone has a pin of #4300 loaded for the road.

And look at what you use to pull it.

To the OP: My 415 Road Warrior is heavy but have never weighed it.

Having said that, even with my 1 ton doolie my rear suspension hits the overload stops on rough highways. So much so that I've installed airbags to compensate.

Therefore, my opinion is your truck is a tad light in the britches 🙂
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

Boudreaux
Explorer
Explorer
taken wrote:
Over 3k on the pin on mine with a 350 SRW. VERY stable. No problems with sway or braking. Very good combo. RV forums are the most conservative out there. Something to remember when considering opinions...

I was very stable in my 2500 with 3k pin. Truck pulled great and was only rated for 12k. The thing that got me was the tires. 3k in the bed + the rear weight of the truck / 2 for each tire. You will be at Max weight of 10 ply tires at 80psi.
I do agree about the forums but it did make me upgrade to something safer for my family.
2013 ram Aisin transmission downshifts much better almost feels like the exhaust break at least mine with 4:10 gears does. The breaks are much better than my 2011 too.

gpshemi
Explorer
Explorer

GPSHEMI

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Over 3k on the pin on mine with a 350 SRW. VERY stable. No problems with sway or braking. Very good combo. RV forums are the most conservative out there. Something to remember when considering opinions...
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Bedlam
The majority of your stopping power is in the FW brake system when towing that load. The TV brakes really won't get exercised unless your FW brake system failed. Your biggest concern is the pin weight on the rear of the TV. If the axle, suspension and wheels can handle the rear payload is the question you should ask. The wider track of a DRW over a SRW may help with stability and offers some redundancy in case of a tire failure but is not an indicator of whether you have sufficient capacity.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

schwipps324
Explorer
Explorer
gpshemi wrote:
schwipps324 wrote:
Purchased a 4100 King yesterday. Not picking it up until next week. Will be pulling it with a 450, a srw 2500 doesn't sound like a safe idea. Your stopping power may not be there if needed.

There's no difference in stopping power between a Ram 2500 and a 3500. It's the same truck minus the overload springs. In fact, the same is true for a swr vs drw. Only difference there is the capacity from tires.

Must be something I imagine then ha

Boudreaux
Explorer
Explorer
csdavis62 wrote:
As a new Cyclone 4100 owner who has a new 2013 Ram 3500 as well. We did our first break in weekend and pulled about 45 miles many through very hilly territory I can tell you it is awesome. More than enough power, stable, comfortable, and confidence inspiring.

I can not over recommend the 2013 with the DRW's and Aisin transmission. It pulls the 4100 like a champ and I look forward to heading to the Keys this fall....

Scott

I made my first trip last weekend. About 250 miles round trip. I went through Baton Rouge had to go over the Mississippi River bridge. I could have pass people up if I wanted. The truck is amazing! I also upgrade my hitch since the dealer put me a 16k hitch for a 18k trailer. I went with the B&W companion turnover ball 5th wheel hitch 20k. I could not tell I had a camper back there even taking off and stopping. Now I feel safe pulling. Only thing now is those trailer tires.

gpshemi
Explorer
Explorer
schwipps324 wrote:
Purchased a 4100 King yesterday. Not picking it up until next week. Will be pulling it with a 450, a srw 2500 doesn't sound like a safe idea. Your stopping power may not be there if needed.

There's no difference in stopping power between a Ram 2500 and a 3500. It's the same truck minus the overload springs. In fact, the same is true for a swr vs drw. Only difference there is the capacity from tires.
GPSHEMI