cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing Doubles

Greg_The_Hammer
Explorer
Explorer
I am a Michigander with a CDL and proper endorsements pulling a fifth wheel with a ball hitch motorcycle trailer behind. Total length is less than 65' . We've towed all over, and want current input regarding lawful towing in Alabama and Georgia. I would appreciate SPECIFIC reference to statute, not generalities. And advice is appreciated
"It's Hammertime"
2014 F250 King Ranch
2011 Jayco Eagle 31.5 Super Lite fifth wheel
2005 Custom Enclosed motorcycle trailer
2008 Harley Electra Glide Classic
57 REPLIES 57

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ricatic wrote:
Greg The Hammer wrote:
I had my court Date in Bay County (in absentia) a couple weeks ago. I posted bond of $110 and pled my case that under chapter 322.XXX (previous post) I was legal in Florida. They found me guilty, took the bond as a fine, but did not adjudicate, which simply means I was not charged points. I won't be back in Florida. I'll spend my cash elsewhere.

sorry about your lack of success in dealing with the law enforcement fundraising operation...but I like your plan about spending your money elsewhere...I received the most CS ticket last week ever...the old fundraising traffic cop could not even defend his position but knows it will cost more to fight than not...quota's you know...I told him I despised the fundraising and would not spend another penny in his town...he laughed as he walked away...

...and they wonder why respect has all but disappeared and has been replaced by fear...

Regards

Sometimes you just need to bite the bullet and fight this crap.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
Greg The Hammer wrote:
I had my court Date in Bay County (in absentia) a couple weeks ago. I posted bond of $110 and pled my case that under chapter 322.XXX (previous post) I was legal in Florida. They found me guilty, took the bond as a fine, but did not adjudicate, which simply means I was not charged points. I won't be back in Florida. I'll spend my cash elsewhere.

sorry about your lack of success in dealing with the law enforcement fundraising operation...but I like your plan about spending your money elsewhere...I received the most CS ticket last week ever...the old fundraising traffic cop could not even defend his position but knows it will cost more to fight than not...quota's you know...I told him I despised the fundraising and would not spend another penny in his town...he laughed as he walked away...

...and they wonder why respect has all but disappeared and has been replaced by fear...

Regards
Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

Greg_The_Hammer
Explorer
Explorer
"It's Hammertime"
2014 F250 King Ranch

fikkellin
Explorer
Explorer
we double tow to Florida Keys every year never had a problem

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
dezl_dr wrote:
I've pulled my jetskis behind my fiver to Florida 3 times and have been pulled over once. On the way out the 1st time. It depends on who sees you and if they want to take issue with it. A state trooper got me, I've passed several others since and they all had better things to do. I'm over length and at 70 feet, a bit too much for most states.
It's not dangerous per say but it is a handful. I've since bought a longer truck and longer rv, doubt I'll do it again. I'd be nearly 72 feet long now. But maybe.

My thoughts were I'd be cheaper to pay the ticket than to take another vehicle from Ohio to Florida. I only go to panama city so it's not really deep into FL.

I'm a lot longer than 72 feet and it's not a hand full. You must not have been set up just right or something.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
Been told many times you can't do it. But after calling each state. Was old it can and it done each day. Not an issue, so hitch will be mounted on ours and towing the boat until I'm stopped. I meet in Al on average 50 per trip across Hwy 72 from Ms state line to I-24 in east tn. Seen them meet Troopers and they never slowed down to look at them. Same in Ga.
Pete
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans

SpoiledRotten
Explorer
Explorer
Nice looking setup, twinstick!
Just the 3 of us...SpoiledRotten, TotallyRotten, and ALittleRotten
2000 F-250 Lariat, CC
7.3 PSTD-Superchipped
2005 33RL2 New Vision - AKA "SpoiledRotten"
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition

dezl_dr
Explorer
Explorer
I've pulled my jetskis behind my fiver to Florida 3 times and have been pulled over once. On the way out the 1st time. It depends on who sees you and if they want to take issue with it. A state trooper got me, I've passed several others since and they all had better things to do. I'm over length and at 70 feet, a bit too much for most states.
It's not dangerous per say but it is a handful. I've since bought a longer truck and longer rv, doubt I'll do it again. I'd be nearly 72 feet long now. But maybe.

My thoughts were I'd be cheaper to pay the ticket than to take another vehicle from Ohio to Florida. I only go to panama city so it's not really deep into FL.
2014 F-350 DRW, 2010 Elite Suites 38'

twinstick
Explorer
Explorer
I live in canton, ga, and I've double towed for a few years now. Never any trouble, passed many of state police. When I was looking into doing it, I too could not find a law that prohibited it. I called state police, Gdot, dept of pub safety, and all anyone ever said was as long as yyou're doing it safely, brakes on all appropriate axle and safety chains, we don't care. I just smile and wave, never a problem. My dad does it too, been doing it for a while too.

SpoiledRotten
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, AtomAnt. Some think that if they don't do it or can't do it, then it's not safe for anyone to. I'm a little more confident and maybe, safer driver than one or two others that have posted negatives here.
2000 F-250 Lariat, CC
7.3 PSTD-Superchipped

Crazy_Cooter
Explorer
Explorer
Only one way to get experience too! As long you setup your equipment properly and have some common sense/driving skilz things work out fine.

Plenty of examples of safe double towing miles around here.
1999 Peterbilt 385
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ
2010 NuWa Hitchhiker 36LKRSB
2012 Cyclone 300C Triple Axle
2013 Can Am Maverick X-RS
2006 KTM 525 EXC CA Plated

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
ya-ya-ya, always the skeptic :R

Looks like he has been doing it for a while and knows what he is doing.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Legal or illegal, it is still dumb.

When that Jeep pushes the trailer around beside the driver's door of your truck, a lightbulb will spring up!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Greg_The_Hammer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the new replies. We will be pulling the train out of Florida this weekend. I've called directly to both Georgia and Alabama State Police, and both assure me that I will have no legal issues pulling my rig in their respective states. Additionally, I have scoured both states' statutes and find no prohibitions. There are total length restrictions, but I am in compliance with those. I have my date in court for later in April, when I have a hearing by mail in Florida. I'm hoping the trooper is a no show, but I think my defense as previously stated works. Even to this point I have made numerous calls to various Florida office including the state attorneys office. They can't come up with a reason the law isn't applicable in my case.
"It's Hammertime"
2014 F250 King Ranch

SpoiledRotten
Explorer
Explorer
Atom Ant wrote:
At least you could drive it away. It would suck if it were a boat or ATV trailer 😞

I've said that many times. It surely would have been tough had it been a trailer. At least the DW was there to follow me down the road. 🙂
2000 F-250 Lariat, CC
7.3 PSTD-Superchipped