cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Heavy 5er with SRW Truck

travisgsf
Explorer
Explorer
I personally don't as my unit is 11k dry. I see a lot of SRW diesel trucks (newer models which I know handle more than older ones) towing huge 5th wheels or toy haulers.

Any of you have a setup like this? I'm talking 14,000+lbs of dry weight. From what I see the newer 250/2500 trucks pull around 16,000-17,000 at their max.

I was curious to know how these things actually tow with that much weight. Do you feel in control? Tow weight and truck is always a huge topic on every forum. I know almost everyone says go dually but not many people do.
Travis - Houma, LA
2012 Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab FX4
Firestone Riderite Airbags
2013 Open Range RF367BHS
18K Pullrite Superglide
155 REPLIES 155

jevanb
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:

where there is demand and smart people, there will be deletes and tunes. someone will manufacture them and some will buy them and a lot of dealers, from what I've read on other forums, seem not to really mind, (going by what I read, not necessarily what I "believe").....I know EPA is cracking down and levying fines on those that make some of these tuners, but ...they'll be sold, installed and used just as in the past..
the tuners can sell the tunes but without EGR, DPF, and exh fluid removal tune. or you can get something like EFI for the GM and dodge diesels and buy a tune or make your own and delete the emissions******from the ECM, they cant touch the manufacture of the tuner because the owner did the tuning and the deletes

AZ T&T wrote:
T I have talked to some people from Canada and they believed a lot of the emission problems were do to extreme cold, if so I'm glad I live in AZ!!
the issue in cold weather is the ECM increases fuel to bring the engine up in temp like the gas motors vehicles do, this increases the particulate matter, add in low driver miles above regren speed and the DPF loads up above cleaning threshold and then has to be replaced which is BIG money, or you just tune the ECM and remove the entire exhaust and replace with aftermarket and enjoy better MPG`s and new found power
2006 CC 4x Lbz,

2012 Wildcat 344QB
Pullrite Superglide

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
Thankfully no problems with the emissions yet, all though I don't have that many miles yet. One of my employees has the same year truck as mine and he has 80K on his and he also hasn't has any problems. I have talked to some people from Canada and they believed a lot of the emission problems were do to extreme cold, if so I'm glad I live in AZ!!
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:

The after market tuner and delete companies have to make a living too:)

Not according to the feds from the EPA, they are going after them with pretty hefty fines. My stepson is in the wholesale exhaust business and they no longer will touch a delete pipe with a ten foot pole! The guy that makes the Smarty tuner for the Dodge/RAM lives in Italy for a reason!

Chris

Guess I misspoke Chris, but where there is demand and smart people, there will be deletes and tunes. someone will manufacture them and some will buy them and a lot of dealers, from what I've read on other forums, seem not to really mind, (going by what I read, not necessarily what I "believe").....I know EPA is cracking down and levying fines on those that make some of these tuners, but ...they'll be sold, installed and used just as in the past..
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
NC Hauler wrote:

The after market tuner and delete companies have to make a living too:)

Not according to the feds from the EPA, they are going after them with pretty hefty fines. My stepson is in the wholesale exhaust business and they no longer will touch a delete pipe with a ten foot pole! The guy that makes the Smarty tuner for the Dodge/RAM lives in Italy for a reason!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
jevanb wrote:
AZ T&T wrote:

My brother inlaw has a 2006 LBZ and my LML will out tow it all day long.(it really irritates the heck out of him!)

funny thing about that is you have more HP and TQ and that truck cost about 10k more then when we bought our trucks in 06, we also have no regren and require no fluid, just wait intill you have problems with your exhaust, I am running a tuner (efi live) that puts my HP and TQ over a LML and I bet I can out tow any stock LML as you say all day long

Tuner doesn't do anything for payload or axle rating...just HP & TQ...in actually, DPF affords better mpg on today's trucks...So could your 2500 LML out tow a 3500 dually LML?

I have had no problems with any of the emissions equipment since 07.5 when they added DPF to the 07.5 Chevy D/A....then a 2010 and 2012 Dodge/Ram with everything but DEF, now have DEF and much, much better mpg...no tuner, don't want or need one. Zero issues thus far, but only have 10,400 miles on it.

The "Gloom and Doom" talk of all the emissions equip hasn't really panned out from what I've read on other forums....but, who really knows? The after market tuner and delete companies have to make a living too:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

jevanb
Explorer
Explorer
AZ T&T wrote:

My brother inlaw has a 2006 LBZ and my LML will out tow it all day long.(it really irritates the heck out of him!)

funny thing about that is you have more HP and TQ and that truck cost about 10k more then when we bought our trucks in 06, we also have no regren and require no fluid, just wait intill you have problems with your exhaust, I am running a tuner (efi live) that puts my HP and TQ over a LML and I bet I can out tow any stock LML as you say all day long
2006 CC 4x Lbz,

2012 Wildcat 344QB
Pullrite Superglide

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
AZ T&T wrote:
Me Again wrote:
AZ T&T, is the 2011 a DEF engine. That would explain fairly good mileage.

And the SWB GM were 26 gal tanks, which really sucks. Try that with the 8.1L gasser, NOT! It took GM many years to get beyond that tank.

Chris

Yes it's a DEF engine and the milage isn't great!! It's strange that GM waited so long to put in the big tanks. My 2000 F350 had a 38 gallon tank

Yeah, but short box Ford had 29 gal tanks for many years. Dodge was 35/34

Now RAMs are down to 32 with the DEF tank needing room. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:

And the SWB GM were 26 gal tanks, which really sucks. Try that with the 8.1L gasser, NOT! It took GM many years to get beyond that tank.

Chris

Yes it's a DEF engine and the milage isn't great!! It's strange that GM waited so long to put in the big tanks. My 2000 F350 had a 38 gallon tank
AZ T&T
Honda EU2000i Generator

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II

Chris

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
AZ T&T wrote:
up2nogood wrote:
Me Again wrote:
afishinado wrote:
Thanks guys for the heads up... Somewhere I read the 6.4 was best they made of the International engines, and it was tone one to get... Just looked deeper into the 6.4 Ford.. Can't justify a 2011 or newer truck any more than I can justify $80k for my 1st trailer...
Looks like it'll be a Duramax or a Cummins

Go find a 2006 or 2007 Chassic GM D/A with the LBZ engine and 6 speed Allison. Best there was!

Chris

Do you have some stats to back that up, I could make the same claim about the 7.3

Here is some Duramax stats Clicky

Who gets the best MPG?

BTW, I believe that clicky has an error on the injection pump on the LML. It is the CP4.2 ticking bomb I believe, not the CP3 noted. Chris

A funny story about the millage: After I bought my truck he had been crowing about how my motor was inferior to his. The first time we went out together he was towing a lighter trailer than mine and I ran off and left him on the hills, so he wasn't happy. Then when we stopped for gas he was running on fumes and I had over a 1/4 tank left. I thought he was going to cry!

Come to find out he has a 25 gallon tank and I have a 38 gallon. All in all we get pretty much the same gas millage.
AZ T&T
Honda EU2000i Generator

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
up2nogood wrote:
Me Again wrote:
afishinado wrote:
Thanks guys for the heads up... Somewhere I read the 6.4 was best they made of the International engines, and it was tone one to get... Just looked deeper into the 6.4 Ford.. Can't justify a 2011 or newer truck any more than I can justify $80k for my 1st trailer...

Go find a 2006 or 2007 Chassic GM D/A with the LBZ engine and 6 speed Allison. Best there was!

Chris

Do you have some stats to back that up, I could make the same claim about the 7.3

And many do, along with all the 5.9 cummins, except the 53 blocks.

Chris

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
AZ T&T wrote:
up2nogood wrote:
Me Again wrote:
afishinado wrote:

Chris

Who gets the best MPG?

BTW, I believe that clicky has an error on the injection pump on the LML. It is the CP4.2 ticking bomb I believe, not the CP3 noted. Chris

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
AZ T&T wrote:
up2nogood wrote:
Me Again wrote:
afishinado wrote:

Chris

Not sure what point your clicky is making, I thought we were talking about what is best, the cummins guys will be upset if there are claims that the duramax is the best there is. ๐Ÿ™‚

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
up2nogood wrote:
Me Again wrote:
afishinado wrote:

Chris

AZ T&T
Honda EU2000i Generator