cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toyhauler cargo weight?

Mbtrebbe
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys. I've always had enclosed trailers but looking to make the switch to a toyhauler (real bathroom/kitchen etc) Question is my off-road truck weighs about 3,000. Regardless of GVWR of the trailers, the toyhaulers I'm seeing have really low weight limits for the cargo areas. 1,300-2,000. Is this for tongue weight or is the back of the trailer not that strong? Has anyone had any experience is heavier vehicles as cargo and/or strengthening the rear frame area? Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

my996duc1
Explorer
Explorer
Mbtrebbe wrote:
Contemplating a motorhome and flat trailer as well

I had an Attitude 5th wheel that was altered to haul/handle a 3000lb-ish Suzuki Samuari. Took it to Lippert and Eclipse for advice and they added a third axle to the toyhauler. While it worked fine I didn't enjoy loading it in the "living room" of the toyhauler. Just wasn't ideal for me and it took up the entire storage area making it nearly impossible to take the Samurai and the dirt bikes on the same trip.

-

-

I sold my Samurai and picked up a larger and heavier Jeep LJ.... It wouldn't fit in the toyhauler so I traded the toyhauler for a Class A and bought a 20' flatbed trailer. Plenty of room for Jeep LJ, dirt bikes, and firewood. I am much happier with this setup.

-

I can see advantages and disadvantages with my setup but overall it works better for me.

_
2007 Coachmen Cross Country 354MBS
2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara

Johnny_H
Explorer
Explorer
Macman83 wrote:
Work and play? This page has the brochure, and some of the weights are 4k to 5k.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/ToyHaulerTravelTrailers/WorkandPlay/default.aspx

X2 for W&P. The highest capacity ratings and ramps that I found along with garage options. Just traded in a 32' with a 16'garage and like 5000# capacity for a 44' with 20' garage and 8,000# capacity and both have 5000# ramp doors
Johnny & Cindy
Missie - Yellow Lab
Bubba - Rescued pup
Bopper -Rescued pup

Mbtrebbe
Explorer
Explorer
The newer toyhaulers all seem to have a lot of Cargo Capacity. Late 90s/Early 2000s were what I was looking at. I guess everyone learned a lesson from WW

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Mbtrebbe wrote:
All the forest rivers seem to have pretty high cargo capacities.

Our sandpiper does too, over 3000lbs easy.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Bedlam
You could get away with a smaller TC. The fact that your truck is gas gives you more payload over diesel. Be aware that most Class C and some Class A MH's are limited to 5000 lb towing due to the weaker RV extension off the rear of the vehicle chassis.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Mbtrebbe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a gas 2500HD. Contemplating a motorhome and flat trailer as well

Bedlam
Or go with a truck camper and keep your enclosed trailer for the toys. What is your tow rig?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

garry_owen
Explorer
Explorer
have only see 2 to haulers like your looking for. both were factory ordered to haul c-j size jeeps.

they are out there but, have an idea, might be hare to find. used any way.

both had been modified at factory with tail gates and better floors and made to haul extra weight.

both were weekend warriors.

one fellow had to put smaller tires on to load, but the stock jeep would drive right in.

the out fits were from California. i saw them a few years back during hunting season. they had stopped for gas and were nice enough to show me there trailers,as i was looking for a toy hauler at the time.
2010 HD Silverado club cab Dura Max FS3000 Weekend Warrior
X2 550 Sportsman 500 Sportsman

bill109
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Gulf stream track&trail 24RTH with over 5000 cargo capacity

Mbtrebbe
Explorer
Explorer
All the forest rivers seem to have pretty high cargo capacities.

Macman83
Explorer
Explorer
Work and play? This page has the brochure, and some of the weights are 4k to 5k.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/ToyHaulerTravelTrailers/WorkandPlay/default.aspx
2010 Ford F450 Superduty diesel
2013 Voltage 3905

Mbtrebbe
Explorer
Explorer
Smarty exactly! I don't want/need a huge trailer but need at least 3,000lb. Seems a bare bones Carson may be the way to go

smarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are researching this very topic ourselves. You will find some TH that have cargo capacities of 400 lb, our problem is we also desire a manageable length of TH and do not want a 42 footer but you have to go to that length of trailer to get the 4000 lb CC.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Probably both of the things you've mentioned and also the strength of the door/ramp.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"