cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TPMS

prowlerregal
Explorer
Explorer
I need some info about TPMS.What is better the flow thru sensors or the sensors you have to remove to add air to your tires?What brand is better than others?Thanks!
2014 3500 SRW 4X4 Ram
2006 King of the Road Royal Villa F33TS
65 REPLIES 65

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a good plan. We are always thinking time vs money. Thanks for replying. Hugs, Di
sdetweil wrote:
Dutch & Di wrote:
I'm asking because I am curious. While the senors codes will not have to be re-entered because you put them on a different trailers, as long as you put them on the same wheel locations, it sounds to me, and I could be wrong, like you are talking about having to change the alarm parameters because the FW & car hauler carry different air 110 vs 80. That is just a matter of changing the parameter alarm settings. It seems you have a good work around with your 2nd monitor but it is not mandatory if you have more than one trailer. Di

agreed, not mandatory.. because you have to at least tab thru all the tires that are the same to get to the axles (trailers are expected to be the same on both sides on an axle) then have to set the upper and lower settings..

it was easier for me to just have two monitors, not move the sensors, and deal with it. If someone else needs to use the trailer, then they just mount the correct monitor on the bracket I made and off they go.
there is enough setup to get out the drive with the FW, I don't need to fiddle with the sensors and reprogramming the monitor too..

time vs money.. they are paid for, and will work for a long time.

if I get rid of a trailer, I have a whole working set to sell to someone.
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch & Di wrote:
I'm asking because I am curious. While the senors codes will not have to be re-entered because you put them on a different trailers, as long as you put them on the same wheel locations, it sounds to me, and I could be wrong, like you are talking about having to change the alarm parameters because the FW & car hauler carry different air 110 vs 80. That is just a matter of changing the parameter alarm settings. It seems you have a good work around with your 2nd monitor but it is not mandatory if you have more than one trailer. Di

agreed, not mandatory.. because you have to at least tab thru all the tires that are the same to get to the axles (trailers are expected to be the same on both sides on an axle) then have to set the upper and lower settings..

it was easier for me to just have two monitors, not move the sensors, and deal with it. If someone else needs to use the trailer, then they just mount the correct monitor on the bracket I made and off they go.
there is enough setup to get out the drive with the FW, I don't need to fiddle with the sensors and reprogramming the monitor too..

time vs money.. they are paid for, and will work for a long time.

if I get rid of a trailer, I have a whole working set to sell to someone.
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer

re-calibrating the sensors is a pita for me, cause you have to do them ALL, even the ones that didn't change. I bought a second monitor and sensors for all tires 4 FW, 4 trailer, 6 Dually . one monitor when using my FW and one when using my enclosed car hauler..

FW at 110lbs, car hauler at 80lbs..

I just use whichever monitor I need.

when I am away from whatever trailer, I turn off the trailer sensors in that monitor.
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks

sdetweil wrote:
johndeerefarmer wrote:
Let's quit the bickering and get back to the discussion. I will throw out a new question: How easy would it be to move the sensors from one trailer to another? I don't mean the act of physically moving them but of having to recalibrate the sensors for the new tires. For example, I have a Columubus 295RL on order. I want a TPMS for it. I would also like to use the system on my 24' tandem axle trailer when I take the RZR's to Colorado. It would also be nice to use on my 25' gooseneck equipment trailer. If the tires on each trailer all had the same pressure it shouldn't make any difference but what if one tire had a rating of 80psi and the others 100psi?
The sensors seem to be fairly expensive at about 50 bucks apiece so buying 8 spare sensors doesn't make much sense. Also the batteries I assume would run down whether I used the sensors or not.

re-calibrating the sensors is a pita for me, cause you have to do them ALL, even the ones that didn't change. I bought a second monitor and sensors for all tires 4 FW, 4 trailer, 6 Dually . one monitor when using my FW and one when using my enclosed car hauler..

when I am away from whatever trailer, I turn off the trailer sensors in that monitor.
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
johndeerefarmer wrote:
Let's quit the bickering and get back to the discussion. I will throw out a new question: How easy would it be to move the sensors from one trailer to another? I don't mean the act of physically moving them but of having to recalibrate the sensors for the new tires. For example, I have a Columubus 295RL on order. I want a TPMS for it. I would also like to use the system on my 24' tandem axle trailer when I take the RZR's to Colorado. It would also be nice to use on my 25' gooseneck equipment trailer. If the tires on each trailer all had the same pressure it shouldn't make any difference but what if one tire had a rating of 80psi and the others 100psi?
The sensors seem to be fairly expensive at about 50 bucks apiece so buying 8 spare sensors doesn't make much sense. Also the batteries I assume would run down whether I used the sensors or not.

2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks

Dutch & Di wrote:
When you take the senors off one RV and put them on another, all you to do is install the sensors on the same wheel location. It will pick them up. If you put them on a different wheel location, they will show on the monitor but be monitoring the tire. Di
johndeerefarmer wrote:
GD Reflection 29rs

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
When you take the senors off one RV and put them on another, all you to do is install the sensors on the same wheel location. It will pick them up. If you put them on a different wheel location, they will show on the monitor but be monitoring the tire. Di
johndeerefarmer wrote:

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Doing a quick search http://shop.greatrvproducts.com/product.sc?productId=398&categoryId=29 is 30 bucks cheaper than innotechrv.com mentioned a few posts up
GD Reflection 29rs

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
GD Reflection 29rs

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
Most TPMS are accurate enough for pressure for normal tire maintenance and serve a purpose beyond warning you of impending problems. One should know that their tires are properly inflated at 70 deg as recommended by the tire manufacturer. You can check the tires with a quality pressure gauge or TPMS. I prefer the TPMS since I have one. Therefore when one starts their journey they should know if the tires are properly inflated. As far a IR guns are concerned, they are the gold standard that most people like race car pit crews use to determine tire temps. I agree about calling the manufacturer about technical details and concerns.

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
I do think it is a good discussion and I will add that the TST company makes both valve stem sensors and internal sensors so they would definitely have information should a potential customer have questions.
As far as comparing IR Gun to the monitor readings there are industry standard acceptable ranges. The same thing holds true for air gauges. You can use an inexpensive one up to professional model and have several pounds of difference. Again, that is a variable that is in an acceptable range. The sensors "job" whether internal or external is to warn you of impending problems, not match an air gauge.
If a potential customer is not happy with external sensors, internal ones are available and vise versa but just how much information does one need to make an informed decision? If I had questions or concerns about a system, I would contact the company to get more precise information than what you might get from a forum as we are all giving our opinions but we don't make the product. Hugs, Di

neal10a wrote:
avvidclif1 wrote:
justme wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Hmm, a company that doesn't make the stem sensors claims the stem sensors are unreliable. Who'd a thunk.

Show me any statement by any stem monitor manufacturer that makes any claim like Valor. Also, misleading advertising is against the law.

Sheesh,

I have the TST system and am not changing.

You have the other system and are not changing.

You nor anyone else has shown proof that either is better or worse.

How about leaving that dead horse alone, nothing left but bones anyway....

I also have the TST monitor and are not changing, but I think this discussion is pertinent for those who are trying to decide which type of TPMS to get. When I purchased my unit, I did not consider temperature because I have always used my IR temperature gun to monitor the tires and hubs. If I was relying only on the TPMS device, I don't think I would get a stem mounted device. Especially after I got one and found that it and my IR gun never agree and the TST is most unreliable for temperature. However, it does well for pressure if you have the range extender.

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:
justme wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Hmm, a company that doesn't make the stem sensors claims the stem sensors are unreliable. Who'd a thunk.

Show me any statement by any stem monitor manufacturer that makes any claim like Valor. Also, misleading advertising is against the law.

Sheesh,

I also have the TST monitor and are not changing, but I think this discussion is pertinent for those who are trying to decide which type of TPMS to get. When I purchased my unit, I did not consider temperature because I have always used my IR temperature gun to monitor the tires and hubs. If I was relying only on the TPMS device, I don't think I would get a stem mounted device. Especially after I got one and found that it and my IR gun never agree and the TST is most unreliable for temperature. However, it does well for pressure if you have the range extender.

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
X2 I agree. Anyone out there looking certainly has enough information to make their own decision. Hugs, Di

Sheesh,

How about leaving that dead horse alone, nothing left but bones anyway

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
justme wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

Sheesh,

Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler