cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer Hitch on a Northwood (Fox Mountain) Fiver?

Pat_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
OK, we have a Fox Mountain 265RL, and Northwood says installing a trailer hitch voids the frame warranty. I see many, many other fivers with a trailer hitch, what is the deal with Northwood? Does anybody have a Northwood fiver with a trailer hitch? i really need a hitch for a carrier for my Honda scooter, otherwise no way to take it on the road with us. Thoughts? Thanks!
Pat & Patty Anderson
2013 Columbus 295RL
2006 Silverado 3500 Duramax / Allison
1991 Alpenlite 25+2
1993 Ford F250
2005 C-Dory CD25 Cruiser
2014 Honda Forza Scooter
2013 Honda PCX150 Scooter
1987 Honda Sprees (matched set) - sold May 2015
Our blog
11 REPLIES 11

Pat_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
Not going to pull a boat, I need a scooter rack with a ramp for a 2014 Honda Forza, I will check with a local hitch shop. Thanks all!
Pat & Patty Anderson
2013 Columbus 295RL
1991 Alpenlite 25+2
1993 Ford F250
2005 C-Dory CD25 Cruiser
2014 Honda Forza Scooter
Our blog

oldbiker7
Explorer
Explorer
JesLookin wrote:
We have a rear hitch on our Arctic Fox, use it to haul bikes. I believe a rear hitch is a factory option, about $350 if I remember right. Ours wasn't installed at the factory, but by a hitch shop recommended by the dealer. Dealer says AF builds the frames knowing that a lot of people will be hitching up boats.

X2 - our dealer had the hitch welded on for us before we picked the trailer up - it is used for bicycles only. You might find additional info on the Northwood Owners forum: http://www.afnash.com/forum.php
2013 GMC 3500 Duramax CCSB 4x4, 19.5 wheels/tires, Hellwig anti-sway bar, airbags, Torklift Stableloads
2013 Arctic Fox 811

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
We ordered our 5'vr from Northwood MFG. and 1 of the items I ordered was a frame mounted hitch receiver. We have only used it for a dual bike rake. I noticed when we bought the bike rake it definitely said its warranty would be voided if it was used on a trailer. Have carried bikes all over and never had any problems with the rack or receiver. Lars
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Pat Anderson wrote:
I am not near the fiver right now, but I think everything except the frame is warranted for 12 or 18 months but as I recall the frame warranty is 10 years - that was one of the selling points.

Since that was an important selling point, you'd be wise to check whether this kind of modification will affect or even void that part of your warranty.

Not that mfr.s EVER look for reasons to do things like that....:)
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
We have a rear hitch on our Arctic Fox, use it to haul bikes. I believe a rear hitch is a factory option, about $350 if I remember right. Ours wasn't installed at the factory, but by a hitch shop recommended by the dealer. Dealer says AF builds the frames knowing that a lot of people will be hitching up boats.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

Pat_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
I am not near the fiver right now, but I think everything except the frame is warranted for 12 or 18 months but as I recall the frame warranty is 10 years - that was one of the selling points. I think the chances of having a problem are very low. So nobody here has put a hitch on an Arctic Fox or Fox Mountain fiver it appears?
Pat & Patty Anderson
2013 Columbus 295RL
1991 Alpenlite 25+2
1993 Ford F250
2005 C-Dory CD25 Cruiser
2014 Honda Forza Scooter
Our blog

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
The frame on your RV was not designed for the stresses with towing or hauling anything on the rear, that is why they void the warranty on the frame with a hitch on the back. Putting that much stress on the frame is, apparently to the manufacturer, a recipe for frame failure.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
My FW came with a factory hitch, and light hookup. It looks very heavy duty, and adds a huge cross brace to the frame. It does come with a warning stating 300# maximun hitch weight, that I'm sure is meant to deter over loading.

I pulled a small utility trailer, with a motorcycle on it, on an 800 mile trip one time. It pulled great, hardly knew it was there.

Jerry

Alley_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
Problem is, the manufacturer has no control over what ends up getting towed. An unscrupulous owner could claim they were only towing a small rowboat on a trailer when in fact they were towing something much heavier that damaged the frame. Northwood is famous for building their own frames from heavy "I" beam steel and I would imagine a properly designed and installed hitch used for towing a light load would not add any undue stress on the frame. I believe their warranty is 1 year so I would guess you could add the hitch then since warranty issues are moot. It's also illegal to tow doubles in Oregon so Northwood doesn't have a lot of expertise in that area to begin with.
2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T
04.5 GMC Duramax SLT CCLB turbo brake Isspros
B&W Companion, Tekonsha, EFI Live by Rob Coddens, Ride Rite air
5th Airborne

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree. Are you getting a bumper type hitch? If you want to do it right you need a fabricator to weld some metal under there.

But if you dont want to void warranty the look into tow vehicle front mount hitch for the truck..

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Rage-Powersports/MX600.html
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
How long is the warranty on frame.....1 yr.---18 months---2 yrs.?

'They' don't want to be liable for frame failures (fatigue, stress cracks, twisting etc.) from somebody hauling boats, trailers, trucks cause the frame barely holds up to the 5th wheel.

You may have to beef up/add supports in order to attach a hitch.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31