cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer recommendations for 2005 Sequoia

TZBassGuy
Explorer
Explorer
My husband & I have a 4WD 2005 Toyota Sequoia that is rated to pull 6200 lbs. Our current camper weighs 4500 lbs. We are looking for a slightly bigger camper that has more room ( with at least 1 slide out) that we can camp in comfortably for weeks at a time. So far we like the layout of the 24rls Starcraft launch (GVWR 6250lbs) and the Jayco white Hawk 24rdb ( GVWR 6750 lbs).

Our dilemma is: 1.When picking a TT that is at the top (or over) on weight of the tow vehicle's capability is there anything we can do to the Toyota increase its towing ability? Would an equalizing hitch help in either situation? 2.Should we go ahead and replace our tow vehicle with something with a higher tow capability?
6 REPLIES 6

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
See the other post on this topic here.
Thread closed.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
SoundGuy wrote:
Shouldn't this be in the Travel Trailer forum, not here on the 5th Wheel Forum? :h

Ha, it is, double post. Many don't read the rules, but I tried to help anyway.

Jerry

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Shouldn't this be in the Travel Trailer forum, not here on the 5th Wheel Forum? :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Max tow capacity and payload are based on overall ratings of the vehicle's frame suspension, wheel base, power train, drive train, wheels, brakes, tires, and hitch. That rating is also considering the driver is of average weight (about 150 lbs), and has no passengers or cargo. Upgrading one or two categories, opens you up to overloading on the others, and does nothing to increase the overall rating. Your vehicle has multiple ratings that are inter-related.

GVWR -- Max weight rating on the vehicle as it's going down the road.

GCVWR -- Max weight rating of tow vehicle and trailer (combined) as they are going down the road.

Max tow rating -- Max weight the vehicle is rated to tow, with a 150 lb driver, who has no passengers or cargo.

Max payload -- The difference between GVWR and what the vehicle actually weighed, when it left the factory.

Hitch rating -- What the hitch is rated to carry, with or without a weight distributing hitch.

Example:

Payload weight - increases the gross weight and reduces max tow capacity, pound for pound. If your vehicle is rated to pull 6200 lbs and you put 500 lbs of people and cargo in the vehicle, it's max tow is reduced to 5700 lbs and it is 500 lbs closer to it's GVWR.

Payload is used up by weight of everything and everybody you put in or on the vehicle, including any aftermarket accessories, the weight distributing hitch, and trailer tongue weight.

Another thing to consider, may be tire ratings. Your Sequoia has passenger rated tires. They are built for passenger comfort and have softer sidewalls, than those with "LT" (light truck rating). Cross winds on a long trailer, creates a lot of sideways push and pull on the tow vehicle. Soft sidewalls will flex side to side, more so than an "LT" tire. If the sidewalls are soft enough, and the trailer is long and heavy enough, this could cause trailer sway issues.

Check out this calculator (Link). It may give you a better picture of what your options are.

Estimating tongue / hitch weight:

Average camping load (battery, propane, pots and pans, dishes, bedding, camping gear, water, and groceries, will add approximately 1000 lbs to the trailer's unloaded weight.

Average tongue weight is about 12.5 percent of loaded trailer weight.

Average WD hitch weight is about 90 lbs.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I am sure you are using a WDH now, so going with an equalizer would be the same. It is hard to make an SUV, or even a 1/2 ton truck, do a job it is not intended for. It is always best to upgrade to a vehicle that is more capable. If the Sequoia is doing a great job with your current trailer, you may give it a try, reaching it's limits, if you don't tow long distances.

My advice though, would be to move to the Tundra 5.7, which would be a much better tow vehicle.

Jerry

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Frontal area is also going to cause you problems with a stand up trailer. Consider instead a tent trailer, tear drop or maybe an Aliner. I think even onemof the smaller Rpods would tax your van.