Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Tires

jwstrout
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

I am new here, and I am not sure if I am posting my question in the proper area, So please forgive my ignorance.

I have a 2006 Starcraft Travelstar 18SD. It is a hybrid toy hauler, with an open toy deck on the front. Tongue to rear bumper, the trailer is approximately 29' long, and is equipped with tandem 3500# axles. Tongue weight is 494#, dry weight is 3860#, loaded weight is 4381#, and gross weight is 7100#.

Currently, I am still running the stock tires, which are 235/75/15C Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers. (yes, mud terrain tires) The tires are in need of replacement.

So here is my question.....

As far as the stock tire size is concerned, selection is fairly limited, for what I would consider a quality brand tire.

First Option : I have found some Goodyear Wrangler Radial tires in the aforementioned size. They are rated at 2028# each, at 35 PSI.

Second Option : I change to a 225/75/15 trailer tire, with a load rating of C or D. My concern with these is speed rating. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to run down the road at unsafe speeds. But the speed rating on trailer tires spooks me a little.

Third Option : An educated suggestion from one of you fine forum members.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
19 REPLIES 19

jwstrout
Explorer
Explorer
I will take a look at the Maxxis ST.

I would like to keep the stock 15" wheels. They are aluminum, in good shape, and I like the looks of them.

Thanks for the suggestions.......

No, I am not looking for a mud tread. My guess is they were put on at the factory for looks. Pretty stupid if you ask me. I'm also guessing that the rolling resistance on more of a highway or AT tread would be a lot less.

My thinking on the Wranglers was exactly what you posted. 2028 X 4 = 8,112. 1000 pounds over my trailer gross of 7100#. (which I never get anywhere close to by the way) With the Wranglers, the speed rating is in excess of 100 MPH. I have no desire or intention of going that fast with a trailer in tow. But the max speed rating of 75 MPH worries me.

Should I worry about the 35 PSI maximum pressure and the 105S SL ratings?

Thanks for the help......

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Are you looking for more mud tires??

You mention a ST225/75-15 tire which are a highway tread.

Your LT235/75-15 C tires show a 1985 lb rating = 7940 lbs of capacity which is plenty of tire for 3500 lb axles and your trailer.

I use the Goodyear Wrangler HT in a LT215/75-15 D (65 psi) at 2085 lb capacity on one of my small car haulers with tandem 3500 lb axles. There tires are good for any speed I need. They have around 28k miles and are going on 6 years old so lots of trouble free service left.
The Goodyear Wrangler LT235/75-15 C at 1985 lbs would be another excellent replacement tire. Most all usa tire makers carry this size/load range.

I wouldn't replace a LT tire with any brand ST tire. Too big of a drop in reliability and long term service.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Others will have different opinions but here are my two choices:.

Maxxiss ST tires. Proven reliable. Period.
Some like the new Carlisle ST's but I had too many problems with their older style tires to give them any of my money.

Second choice; Replace wheels with 16" and go to a LT tire.

Avoid off brand Chinese junk tires you've never heard of and dont believe tire dealers who will claim "we've never had one come back". It's a lie they all tell to sell what they have.

jwstrout
Explorer
Explorer
So you'd suggest a trailer specific tire, meaning a switch to 225/75?

I've got a line on a set of Vangard STR II tires, in 225/75/15D. The speed rating is "L", which I believe is 75 MPH.

Good or no?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would go with a LR D tire at a minimum. C is just too light.