cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tree Fell onto My Fifth Wheel

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
So, last week we had a very bad thunderstorm with hail and lots of wind. A large pine tree fell onto our trailer. I am going to get a professional company to crane lift this off. Trailer is insured and I have gap insurance from 2008 when we purchased the trailer. The unit on NADA low says its worth 20K and I still owe 18K. I can't tell if there is structural damage yet. It has not totally crushed the trailer. It just looks like its leaning on top of it. Do any of you have experience with such an issue using the insurance company and gap? I am looking for the warning pitfalls to watch out about with insurance. They are not sending an inspector out to look at the damage. They want me to take it to a dealer for repair estimates. Need some advice.

Thanks
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie
20 REPLIES 20

94-D2
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace 41’ of rubber roof on my 5th wheel due to a low hanging limb in a road. No structural damage only the edpm roofing. That was 13k plus labor. Rubber roofs are not patched. They are only replaced. So with the labor and peripheral parts like gutters, trim etc, it came to 21k.
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

It’s not what you’ve done that commands respect, it’s what you do.

Happy Campin’

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Some pictures of the damage would help with guestaments of repair cost. The fabric interior cover will make the interior fix easier.
How would the fabric interior cover make the fix easier? The whole entire coach would need replacing to match, not to mention how it gets affixed to ceiling. Must be glued I suspect. I know pictures would help but it's been difficult for me to load them onto this site before. But, picture a tree limb right through and sticking into your living room. The other hole was just as big but no limb inside. Sagging cabinet, and smashed AC unit up top. Surprisingly no damage to the edge of the roof where tree was resting. Also big tears in rubber roof.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some pictures of the damage would help with guestaments of repair cost. The fabric interior cover will make the interior fix easier.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Now that I removed the tree from top of the trailer, I can tell you that NU Wa built a solid trailer. I have two holes that went through the ceiling, and some cabinet damage. The cabinet over the kitchen sink is uneven and didn't suffer any issues other than that. The ceiling has that carpet material trough out the unit. The main AC cover is ruined up top but probably functional. The fantastic fan cover was smashed. The rubber roof has tears and gouges. So what I want to know from someone that maybe has gone through this, is how much does it cost to repair all this. Just some idea would be nice.
We love our Westie

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
Update shows that a fairly large tree limb pierced the roof and through the ceiling. It is sticking into the trailer about 4 feet. Missed the AC unit, however the cover for that up top is broken. Hopefully that still works. I am afraid now that a 2007 unit will be a total loss. I could buy it back after I pay it off but for how much will determine if I want to do that at all. I have someone interested in buying it to just house guests on his property. I owe a little over 17K so I hope there is enough in there to use as a down for a smaller trailer.

you don't want to buy it back unless you are capable of replacing an entire roof and possibly a wall by yourself, it will cost you way more to do it than it is worth. best bet is hope for a total write off and buy a new one.
Only way I buy it back is if I have it sold to someone else to live in it. I think it has seen its last trailering days
We love our Westie

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
SweetLou wrote:
Update shows that a fairly large tree limb pierced the roof and through the ceiling. It is sticking into the trailer about 4 feet. Missed the AC unit, however the cover for that up top is broken. Hopefully that still works. I am afraid now that a 2007 unit will be a total loss. I could buy it back after I pay it off but for how much will determine if I want to do that at all. I have someone interested in buying it to just house guests on his property. I owe a little over 17K so I hope there is enough in there to use as a down for a smaller trailer.

you don't want to buy it back unless you are capable of replacing an entire roof and possibly a wall by yourself, it will cost you way more to do it than it is worth. best bet is hope for a total write off and buy a new one.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
SweetLou wrote:

That sux and I am sorry to hear that. And it's not only the damage you can see it's really what you can't see that starts adding up. And if any moisture gets in the damage gets worse. It doesn't take much to total an RV. Hopefully you come out with nothing out of pocket.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Westie

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully your insurance will cover it . Had some tree branches break off ,and damage the roof . My comprehensive covered it .

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
phillyg wrote:
Look closely at your gap insurance policy. Some are only good for the first five years or so.
That is on the schedule after the holiday. It's been built in my monthly payment so I don't think it has a limited time frame.
We love our Westie

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Can you/ have you been inside to look for damage??
I will be there on Tuesday but from what a friend told me who has looked at it, not to be hopeful. Large tree and the limbs probably went thru the roof. I'll know Tuesday
We love our Westie

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
I really don't know about Ca but was the tree yours or your neighbors ? Was it dead or a healthy living tree. If it was a dead tree on your neighbors property then they are liable but if live it's an Act of GOD. My Daughter went thru a similar tree problem last year
The trailer is stored on my Washington property and it was my tree
We love our Westie

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can you/ have you been inside to look for damage??
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
I really don't know about Ca but was the tree yours or your neighbors ? Was it dead or a healthy living tree. If it was a dead tree on your neighbors property then they are liable but if live it's an Act of GOD. My Daughter went thru a similar tree problem last year